• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

You can listen to the same episode 4.5 times!

What do you do Myggen?

I'm a lawyer. Have a crushing deadline on a project this week, which I hope to get done tomorrow unless it kills me.

Maybe I should begin listening to old Bombcasts again while I work.

Myggen, GB GAF's legal counsel.

If you want some tips on Norwegian contract law, I'm your man.

Myggen

Via Paul Ryckert, here's Dan doing manual labour in awesome pants with his grandfather:

CE17k1yUMAAQrXj.jpg:large

edit: And another one:

CExgJVbUIAAeumK.jpg:large

THRILLH0

Banned
No. Going by the podcast, Brad would give it a 4/5 probably!

Seems bizarre. Sure it's not exactly Call of Duty but it's one of the most anticipated titles of the year for a very large audience.

Don't get me wrong, Brad has made his thoughts pretty clear but I just find it strange.

No biggie.

Myggen

im of norwegian heritage we had it all the time

like 3 times a year

You've got lutefisk Stockholm syndrome ;)

Seems bizarre. Sure it's not exactly Call of Duty but it's one of the most anticipated titles of the year for a very large audience.

Don't get me wrong, Brad has made his thoughts pretty clear but I just find it strange.

No biggie.

They just rarely review games anymore, which is something they've moved towards the last few years. If they review games, the review will often hit days after the review embargo.

Lelcar

So: Drew or Jason on the Bombcast? I'd rather both but I think I like Drew more

Jason by far. He plays video games, has opinions about things, and pipes up a lot. Even when Drew does have something to say he's not great at trying to verbalize it. He's certainly much better than The Basement and WM days of course, he's come a long way, but he still has a very Shatner-esque way of speaking when trying to formulate his thoughts. Sometimes even the gang is confused by what he's trying to say. Also, I do love it when the gang talks about real life and things other than games, but despite Drew doing a bunch of fun stuff in his regular life, he doesn't really even talk about that either or go into much detail. He doesn't seem like the tell-a-story kind of guy anyway.

Drew's fantastic and is entertaining elsewhere on the site (and of course a necessary video producer), but he is not a good podcaster imo, not for the Bombcast anyway. With F1 he seems to be way more passionate and comfortable talking about that. There was a brief time though when I thought Drew was hilarious on the Bombcast, he would always sneak in a hidden joke or yell something funny in the background. But anyway, I'd rather if Jason got more exposure. That's my preference.

I remember when Dan and his dad talked of grandpa Ryckert on their special podcasts. He's the kind of guy who laughs at the death of John Lennon.

MG310

I'm not super into the AC series. If Unity wasn't a buggy mess, would it still be a subpar AC game?

I thought the main French Revolution plotline was okay but the present day stuff caused one of the most unsatisfying endings I've ever seen.

200+ year old skeleton is in fact a 200+ year old skeleton, nothing to see here. *shrugs* roll credits

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I only know of lutefisk because of Dungeons of Dredmor.

Lutefisk, a traditional Norwegian fish product, was invented by the Vikings as an easier way of instilling fear in their enemies than raiding and pillaging. It is traditionally inflicted upon young Norwegians by their grandparents, and is described by one famous author as 'the world's largest chunk of phlegm.'

I regret the day I looked it up.

I thought the main French Revolution plotline was okay but the present day stuff caused one of the most unsatisfying endings I've ever seen.

200+ year old skeleton is in fact a 200+ year old skeleton, nothing to see here. *shrugs* roll credits

I didn't realize they were still going with the present day stuff. Kind of thought they'd drop it when I saw the whole "video games in your video games" from Black Flag.

I feel the best decision Ubisoft have made in years concerning the AC series is to stop caring about the future crap. They should get rid of it completely. I was surprised that the Bomb crew were complaining that there was less of that shit in the GOTY podcasts. How could anyone still be invested in it at this point? It's been obvious since Brotherhood that it was going nowhere.

MG310

Black Flag's future stuff was fun but it worked for exactly 1 game.

I'd be much happier at this point if they ditched all of the ancient aliens stuff and just went 100% towards the 2 sides plotting against each other to be the ones who shape the world. They might be able to tell a more interesting story than searching for yet another shiny powerful object.

danm999

It's just stunning to me that after almost three years they're no closer to any conclusion on all that Those Who Came Before stuff in 3, even with them releasing a game each year (and sometimes two a year), but are still stringing it along like it's the most important thing ever.

Even GRRM would be like, hurry the fuck up with your conclusion.

Egg0

Banned
Listening to the bombcast, I notice that Jason and I cuss the same way. Just add "fuckin" to every other sentence.

justjim89

Jason by far. He plays video games, has opinions about things, and pipes up a lot. Even when Drew does have something to say he's not great at trying to verbalize it. He's certainly much better than The Basement and WM days of course, he's come a long way, but he still has a very Shatner-esque way of speaking when trying to formulate his thoughts. Sometimes even the gang is confused by what he's trying to say. Also, I do love it when the gang talks about real life and things other than games, but despite Drew doing a bunch of fun stuff in his regular life, he doesn't really even talk about that either or go into much detail. He doesn't seem like the tell-a-story kind of guy anyway.

Drew's fantastic and is entertaining elsewhere on the site (and of course a necessary video producer), but he is not a good podcaster imo, not for the Bombcast anyway. With F1 he seems to be way more passionate and comfortable talking about that. There was a brief time though when I thought Drew was hilarious on the Bombcast, he would always sneak in a hidden joke or yell something funny in the background. But anyway, I'd rather if Jason got more exposure. That's my preference.

Jason is better as a podcaster, but Drew never ceases to fascinate me. Among a crew of guys that don't talk much about their personal lives, Drew's is the most mysterious by a wide margin.

Maybe that's because there's no record of a man named Drew Scanlon prior to 2006. But why would there be? The real Drew Scanlon was a vagrant drifter with no family and no friends who died in the woods of Oregon in 1962.

Maybe you guys might be able to help me with this. Is there a concept page for Left Trigger Aim/Right Trigger Fire, standardized console shooter controls, or something like that? I can't find it if there is. Trying to find examples of games that predate Call of Duty 2. Resident Evil 4 is the closest I can think of (RT Aim/Face Button Fire) and it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom