• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ecclestone's Nazi sex party is probably as good as place as any to start.

image.php

I kind of mourn a future where super rich old british people don't have weird themed sex parties

of my preferred methods of the downfall of humanity, an Invisibles-style aristocratic orgy designed to birth an extradimensional being is still near the top of my list

Haunted

I kinda liked what I played of this... but it's simply not as good as FTL. Alex is pretty much spot-on.

The map isn't as good, the combat system isn't quite as tactical and rewarding with very uneven difficulty spikes and no option to flee and cut your losses (though the systems they do have in place are pretty interesting in itself).

It's rough, it has some good ideas, when it works, it works as well as FTL (basically a ground-based, desert-themed FTL), but when it falls apart, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

edit: disclaimer: I haven't gotten close to beating the game yet in several attempts. It's really tough. Maybe something clicks if you spend more time with it so you can make smarter decisions in the shops and know when to take risks with the random events.

BearPawB

Banned
I kinda liked what I played of this... but it's simply not as good as FTL. Alex is pretty much spot-on.

The map isn't as good, the combat system isn't quite as tactical and rewarding with very uneven difficulty spikes and no option to flee and cut your losses (though the systems they do have in place are pretty interesting in itself).

It's rough, it has some good ideas, when it works, it works as well as FTL (basically a ground-based, desert-themed FTL), but when it falls apart, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

edit: disclaimer: I haven't gotten close to beating the game yet in several attempts. It's really tough. Maybe something clicks if you spend more time with it so you can make smarter decisions in the shops and know when to take risks with the random events.

I have watched a few streamers play this and been enraptured. The biggest thing Alex was doing wrong was focusing only on the main quest. Need to grind more than he wanted to for the video.

I'm still not sold that I need to buy the game. But I like what it's doing....taking the FTL basics but adding uniqueness to the combat.

Zaph

This is some early 2000s games site ass shit.

And Jeff's polite way of saying "we ain't touching that":

6UebxK6.png

I have to imagine there was some CBSi executive meeting that went along the lines of "guys, gamespot still doesn't employ any black people. Quick, someone name one..."

I look forward to UPF's in about 6 months with everyone giving Danny shit over it.

Megasoum

Banned
That whole thing is so dumb (and not the good kind of dumb).

But then again I don't really like the Kinda Funny guys so whatever.

Haunted

I have watched a few streamers play this and been enraptured. The biggest thing Alex was doing wrong was focusing only on the main quest. Need to grind more than he wanted to for the video.

I'm still not sold that I need to buy the game. But I like what it's doing....taking the FTL basics but adding uniqueness to the combat.
Yeah, when the combat works, it's actually really fun. But when you're outgunned, it rarely feels like you can make up for it with good micro and smart tactical decisions, you're often just fucked. That said, Alex also didn't use the ramming maneouvre nearly enough, forcing them into obstacles is one of the most effective ways to deal with particularly difficult enemies early on before your weapons are improved.

I honestly think it's mostly the balancing issues, difficulty spikes through randomness and (as you mention) the need for random grinding near your camp that prevent me from really liking it. It's all fixable, but I'm not sure the devs see these as problems to fix or whether they're happy with the balance as is.

edit: actually, the game does a poor job of communicating enemy strength to you as well as what kind of equipment you should be having at each point in the game. That's where FTL's sectors and constant need to move forward led to much better pacing throughout.

I'm really pleased with the Kirkhope segment today. It's nice to hear a segment that Dan is genuinely excited to do on the bombcast. He tends to get quiet after his check-in segment and this seemed to invigorate him to actually talk in the discussion section.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm really pleased with the Kirkhope segment today. It's nice to hear a segment that Dan is genuinely excited to do on the bombcast. He tends to get quiet after his check-in segment and this seemed to invigorate him to actually talk in the discussion section.

I was worried he'd get quiet when he was excited to start talking about games he played and got shut down.

Silly Dan. The Bombcast isn't the place for that.

I mean, it's an incredibly affordable way to play most of the vita's library, it just sucks for everything else they pretended it was supposed to be used for. if you want to play vita games, congratulations, you made a good purchase!
i wanna play ps1, psp, and vita games

I remember them talking about streaming shit and some other crap I don't care about

I mean, it's an incredibly affordable way to play most of the vita's library, it just sucks for everything else they pretended it was supposed to be used for. if you want to play vita games, congratulations, you made a good purchase!
Did they try to position it as an apple tv equivalent or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom