• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny to read the surprised posts on GAF about this development while I'm seeing a "World of Tanks" ad at the top and a "Knight's Fable" ad at the bottom of the page.

edit: "Soliders Inc." now, too

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's funny to read the surprised posts on GAF about this development while I'm seeing a "World of Tanks" ad at the top and a "Knight's Fable" ad at the bottom of the page.

I got an IKEA ad.

Which is basically microtransactions for real life when you think about it.

PuXhRvM.gif

repeater

Shit, that takes me back.

For gamers who weren't around back then (though I take it a lot of people in this thread were), I suspect that it's hard to fathom how goddamn great Konami and (to a lesser extent maybe?) Capcom were back then. In the NES and SNES days, they were basically churning out several all time classics each and every year. I don't think we have publishers with that kind of track record anymore.

Myggen

Worlds of Tanks is probably the gaming phenomenon I understand the least. How the fuck did a free to play tank MMO get that ridiculously huge?

speaking of phenomena, I'm with Jeff in being really interested in that Mario PaD game. I played the demo on the eshop and I'm into it.

I played a lot of the phone game but eventually the F2P hooks wore away my interest in the game itself. If I can just pay up front and not have to worry about SP or time units then I'll be thrilled.

Megasoum

Banned
I just realized that none of the companies that are "Special thanks" in the demo derby OXM disc exists anymore and this is making me sad

daydream

Banned
speaking of phenomena, I'm with Jeff in being really interested in that Mario PaD game. I played the demo on the eshop and I'm into it.

I played a lot of the phone game but eventually the F2P hooks wore away my interest in the game itself. If I can just pay up front and not have to worry about SP or time units then I'll be thrilled.

I'm playing it, it's a really great and challenging puzzle game, chaining combos takes some real thought.

I'm playing it, it's a really great and challenging puzzle game, chaining combos takes some real thought.

yeah I'm definitely not a noob to the series, I easily put >100 hours into the ios version. the actual combo system and team-building stuff is really well done. I just hated the f2p angle. I'm hoping this is exactly what I'm looking for.

daydream

Banned
yeah I'm definitely not a noob to the series, I easily put >100 hours into the ios version. the actual combo system and team-building stuff is really well done. I just hated the f2p angle. I'm hoping this is exactly what I'm looking for.

It is. Two games in one package at a budget price makes it a no-brainer, imo.

Lelcar

I'm excited that both Jeff and Dan seem to be really into this game in a big way. I like it when a surprise obsession comes out of nowhere and gets discussed into GOTY.

Coming from someone that never played the series, the Puzzle & Dragons gameplay looks like magic to me.

Dan is basically swishing around an orb for a second and then bang, there it is, noises happen, and he won.

jaina

Coming from someone that never played the series, the Puzzle & Dragons gameplay looks like magic to me.

Dan is basically swishing around an orb for a second and then bang, there it is, noises happen, and he won.

Yeah, all the explosions and blings and filling bars are doing their magic.

justjim89

The new hire should be George Weidman, so V-Bomb and The Wolf can protect him from Konami.

Seriously, though, I don't think there's a better games journalist working today than him, when it comes to pure journalism.

and then after you do that for a few hours you start being able to see like 5 combos into the future and it gets really crazy

the thing that PaD gets that most other f2p games don't is that if you have actually interesting gameplay with a long skill ramp, it will keep people coming back forever because they always feel like they're getting just a tiny bit better over a super long time scale

Since we're on the topic of mobile games being the future and a mobile game being interesting once the F2P aspect is removed, Nintendo just surprise launched a F2P Pushmo on 3DS.

daydream

Banned
Good to see Vinnyvania on the schedule tomorrow.

fantastic, this week is really ramping up

Since we're on the topic of mobile games being the future and a mobile game being interesting once the F2P aspect is removed, Nintendo just surprise launched a F2P Pushmo on 3DS.

And it makes a lot of sense, the full price amounts to ~10 bucks for all the level packs, people who want less can save some money.

Curious to see how the new mechanics work. One of the best new puzzle series of the decade, for sure.

Zaph

Put this in a context I understand - does it mean we're closer or further to Nintendo putting a Picross 3D game on iOS?

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm excited that both Jeff and Dan seem to be really into this game in a big way. I like it when a surprise obsession comes out of nowhere and gets discussed into GOTY.
Me too.

I'm trying to resist downloading P&D again. That was an addiction of a couple months I was glad to be rid of.
I'm so fucking confused and amazed by what Dan is doing. Is that a skill that just comes from playing the game?
IIRC your skills basically charge based on turns taken in a fight.

AcridMeat

Banned
no i meant his actual ability to move the pieces around so smoothly on the bottom screen
Oh hahaha. Yeah that's just something you learn from playing it. It's crazy since it breaks the mold of match 3 games. It took a while for me to actually do it rather than just making simple matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom