• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The #HireCara thing was so goddamn embarrassing, and honestly, considering how badly Patrick's writing was received, I don't think more bad posts like "here's what the next Tomb Raider should be" (which was nothing but an IdeasGuy101.txt scribble that frankly ought to be cause to have any games writer laughed out of the scene with how illiterate it was about the medium) would have done Giant Bomb dot Com any favors.

The problem is that the skillset you need to be successful on Giant Bomb is such a limited thing that anyone in the scene even has (years of extended experience in the scene and the perspective to comprehend all its madness, on-screen charisma, etc etc) that just naming whatever games writer that happens to be a woman and has maybe written a couple good pieces (do we really need to mention Patricia Hernandez defending KK:Hollywood, a terrifyingly manipulative F2P not-game designed solely to extract your money in the most depressing excuse for "fun" possible) - I mean, shit. I dunno. I hope Giant Bomb hires someone diverse and gets away from hiring another Dan, who started out awesome but his "chara- I've made this point a million times, whatever, but you look at the games critic scene and it's honestly pretty damn heartbreaking - Giant Bomb is a fluke in a sphere that honestly shouldn't exist. Just look at "Kinda Funny" trying to ape the same formula and its pathetically depressing to watch four dudes in a bad set sitting around podcast equipment.

#hireinfighting

For me, it's all cool. I enjoy coming here and seeing the differing opinions of you guys. There is plenty of GB related stuff I don't care about that you guys do and vice versa. Life goes on.

Let's fight irl.

Dublin to Oslo flight booked. I'll text you when I'm standing outside the basketball court.

daydream

Banned
voicing one's preference for an intelligent and entertaining potential hire during a period of hiring and sharing that preference with likeminded fans in a good-humoured manner sure is the worst you guys

I actually think the next hire should be someone totally outside the world of games, a "normie" with no understanding of the weird bullshit that the games industry tries to get away with. For all the weird backlash games journos gave the Mass Effect 3 ending hate as they pathetically defended Bioware, I showed this to a handful of non-gamer people and they all shamefully shook their heads and asked why anyone would do this.

Basically I want Norm McDonald to be the new hire.

#HireODwyer. It rhymes.

QED.

voicing one's preference for an intelligent and entertaining potential hire during a period of hiring and sharing that preference with likeminded fans in a good-humoured manner sure is the worst you guys

talking about it once or twice is fine, it's when I see it over

and over

and over again that I start to take issue

no disrespect, it's just that between the hire stuff and the edit messages both being run into the ground it seems like I'm reading the same posts every couple of pages

and also doom had infighting so it's immediately better than the cara stuff

Myggen

I hadn't really noticed much hiring talk for a while now before these last couple of pages.

But yeah, agree on the hiring talk. Could do without it until we have something concrete.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think the next hire should be someone totally outside the world of games, a "normie" with no understanding of the weird bullshit that the games industry tries to get away with. For all the weird backlash games journos gave the Mass Effect 3 ending hate as they pathetically defended Bioware, I showed this to a handful of non-gamer people and they all shamefully shook their heads and asked why anyone would do this.

Basically I want Norm McDonald to be the new hire.
What would I get out of this, as a listener/viewer? Sounds like a bad idea.

I hadn't really noticed much hiring talk for a while now before these last couple of pages.

hire stuff hasn't been as bad lately but the edit messages (which have also bled over into the bombcast threads apparently) have been pretty annoying to me because I still haven't gotten into the habit of not ignoring them, and there's no real intuitive way to quote them so it makes going back to a post a must if you haven't caught the context to what someone's replying to

Tucah

you speak so well
Here's a little three minute thing talking about what the Beastcast is going to be.

EDIT: thebeastcast.com is also a website with, presumably, the podcast art.

What would I get out of this, as a listener/viewer? Sounds like a bad idea.

I just feel like the games industry manages to get away with more and more depressingly pathetic bullshit as the years go on and you need an outside perspective to call that sorta nonsense out. I mean, I really loved Jeff's rant on DLC and I wish that was a more regular thing.

ZZUK6qB.jpg

http://thebeastcast.com/

daydream

Banned
well, a lot of discussion in here is cyclical, we established this like eight threads ago

the hiring talk wasn't that dense or frequent, it just happened on a regular basis which seems totally fine to me. can't fill every weekend with discussion of shitty bands (thus, everyone has the subject matters he or she finds aggravating) and a new hire is sort of a big deal for the site

also, you don't have to scrutinise every post, skimming is a useful technique for dairy farmers and readers alike, also spending less time on gaf maybe

anyway, BEASTCAST WITH VINNY C AND THE WOLF

RSS feed description:

The Giant Bomb East team gathers to talk about the week in video games, their lives, and basically anything that interests them. All from New York City!

Sounds like a East Coast Bombcast basically.

Zaph

thebeastcast.com is hosted independently of CBSi and the email address is at that domain, not a giant bomb email.

Vinny mentioned the original ER.

Given these two nuggets of information, it's safe to assume Alex and Vinny are leaving Giant Bomb to start their own site dedicated to Endurance Runs.

Things The Beastcast will be

• Shorter than the Bombcast
  • More Digestible, than the Bombcast
  • Morning Uploads (on NYC Time)
  • Thursday Records it seems
  • Weekly Friday Uploads
  • Always Alex/Vinny
  • Likely Alex/Vinny/Newbie once he/she is invented
  • Rotating Fourth Chair
  • Guests are Possible (likely NY based journos - Tina Amini is the only one I can think of)
  • More Jeff Bakalar that you may expect

Things The Beastcast will be

• Shorter than the Bombcast
  • More Digestible, than the Bombcast
  • Morning Uploads (on NYC Time)
  • Thursday Records it seems
  • Weekly Friday Uploads
  • Always Alex/Vinny
  • Likely Alex/Vinny/Newbie once he/she is invented
  • Rotating Fourth Chair
  • Guests are Possible (likely NY based journos - Tina Amini is the only one I can think of)
  • More Jeff Bakalar that you may expect

Also they will try to catch anything the Bombcast missed due to them being later in the week.

kingocfs

I'm glad it'll be shorter. I usually listen to the Bombcast stretched out over the week at the gym but never quite make it to the next ep so it'll be nice to have something fill the tail end.

Hope the format is a little different too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom