• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how much emus and ostriches already look like dinosaurs. Even their feet. They remind me of a Gallimumus. Below is an emu and emu feet.

Dude, cassowaries.

18sjw9cp92kkhjpg.jpg

Cassowary_withChick.jpg

justjim89

I totally get what they mean about character movement in TW3. It takes him a while to get going and a while to stop, Geralt has weight to him. But man this game is great so far, a worthy follow up to TW1 and 2. Glad Danny was on the cast to help sing it's praises and no Jeff to go "Meeeeehhhhhhhhhh."

danm999

I totally get what they mean about character movement in TW3. It takes him a while to get going and a while to stop, Geralt has weight to him. But man this game is great so far, a worthy follow up to TW1 and 2. Glad Danny was on the cast to help sing it's praises and no Jeff to go "Meeeeehhhhhhhhhh."

The thing that's impressed me so far is how well written the side quests I've seen are and some of the fucked up choices you can make in them in just the first area. Hope it keeps that level of quality up.

That's yet another ratite. I'm no expert (by a looooong shot), but man, those things sure look like so much like dinosaurs, I wonder if scientists will ever decide to "unextinctify" (yeah, I made up a word) dinosaurs and just straight up relabel birds as literal dinosaurs. After posting some of the stuff before, I kind of went down a birds as dinosaur rabbit hole and I found this interesting article: http://www.locolobo.org/Dromiceiomimus.html

That's yet another ratite. I'm no expert (by a looooong shot), but man, those things sure look like so much like dinosaurs, I wonder if scientists will ever decide to "unextinctify" (yeah, I made up a word) dinosaurs and just straight up relabel birds as literal dinosaurs. After posting some of the stuff before, I kind of went down a birds as dinosaur rabbit hole and I found this interesting article: http://www.locolobo.org/Dromiceiomimus.html

There's too many genetic hurdles to reverse engineer a dinosaur... well, a bird that looks exactly like a non-avian dinosaur, out of a modern bird. Genetics are often messy and tangled up, and attempting to even modify the genes associated with something like, say, tooth and snout growth would undoubtedly come with all kinds of unexpected problems, given that those genes essentially "broke" in birds millions of years ago to be what they are now.

As for labels, cladistically speaking, birds are dinosaurs. Many paleontologists use the phrase "non-avian dinosaur" to be exact when talking about what people call "the dinosaurs."

Heads up you guys, Danny totally pronounced "Taoiseach" (Prime Minister As Gaeilge) incorrectly on the bombcast, he's a fraud!

There's no T sound at the end of the word as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: Actually, there's some crazy regional variations on pronunciation, so I'm probably wrong. Being truly Irish is not having much of a clue about the language.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gotta say though, the
botchling
part made me more interested in the game than any other thing I've seen.

I'll get around to it once I get around to witcher 1 and 2.

Xater

The thing that's impressed me so far is how well written the side quests I've seen are and some of the fucked up choices you can make in them in just the first area. Hope it keeps that level of quality up.

I am like 30 hours in and there is lots of fucked up shit to come. The worst is when you think you did something really good but that results in something else that is really terrible happening.

And by worst I actually mean awesome. This game does decision making right. Gives you tough choices all the time with world changing results in different levels. Bio ware needs to get back to the drawing board with their lame design, especially when it comes to side quests and side activities.

danm999

I am like 30 hours in and there is lots of fucked up shit to come. The worst is when you think you did something really good but that results in something else that is really terrible happening.

And by worst I actually mean awesome. This game does decision making right. Gives you tough choices all the time with world changing results in different levels. Bio ware needs to get back to the drawing board with their lame design, especially when it comes to side quests and side activities.

It's as simple as something like the fetch a potion quest that both developers do near the beginnings of their recent games that's enough for me to contrast Bioware with this.

In Inquisition this man says you need to fetch a potion in the Hinterlands or his wife will die and it's a choice between "of course my son blessings be upon you I am this world's Jesus and I shall solve all your problems personal and spiritual" and "fuck your wife I'm evil, Bitch gonna diiiiiiie.

In Witcher it's she's going to die, you can give her this potion that Witchers use for internal bleeding and it might work, but it might also kill her in several days of agonising pain making her scream her lungs off. But if she's going to die anyway, isn't it worth the risk? Or should we let her die with dignity?

And then, when I make the decision to give it to her
the game has the restraint to not show me the consequence of my choice immediately. I might come back later and she'll be fine. I might come back later and have the village be pissed at me because I prolonged this poor girls suffering. I might never find out what happens. I don't know which choices will have impacts and which won't.

Xater

It's as simple as something like the fetch a potion quest that both developers do near the beginnings of their recent games that's enough for me to contrast Bioware with this.

In Inquisition this man says you need to fetch a potion in the Hinterlands or his wife will die and it's a choice between "of course my son blessings be upon you I am this world's Jesus and I shall solve all your problems personal and spiritual" and "fuck your wife I'm evil, Bitch gonna diiiiiiie.

In Witcher it's she's going to die, you can give her this potion that Witchers use for internal bleeding and it might work, but it might also kill her in several days of agonising pain making her scream her lungs off. But if she's going to die anyway, isn't it worth the risk? Or should we let her die with dignity?

And then, when I make the decision to give it to her
the game has the restraint to not show me the consequence of my choice immediately. I might come back later and she'll be fine. I might come back later and have the village be pissed at me because I prolonged this poor girls suffering. I might never find out what happens. I don't know which choices will have impacts and which won't.

Yep I liked that as well in the starting are, but trust me it gets way more involved.

I've been pretty impressed with the sidequests in the first five hours or so which makes hearing this really exciting.

There's too many genetic hurdles to reverse engineer a dinosaur... well, a bird that looks exactly like a non-avian dinosaur, out of a modern bird. Genetics are often messy and tangled up, and attempting to even modify the genes associated with something like, say, tooth and snout growth would undoubtedly come with all kinds of unexpected problems, given that those genes essentially "broke" in birds millions of years ago to be what they are now.

Yep, basically anything like resurrecting the genuine article of a long extinct species is probably well beyond our capabilities, especially out of their descendants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom