• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunder

Debating whether to get Witcher on PS4 or risk it on my PC :<

Does anyone have any experiences with the PS4 version? I've heard of some frame drops and problems with inventory/movement, though I suppose that's more exclusive to the gamepad rather than just console versions?

Relevant to you perhaps, but boy they've (RT) only become more and more successful in the past few years.

Yeah, they've grown to insane sizes. They are definitely far from irrelevant. Hell they have a theatrical movie coming out.

I like their podcast from time to time, but I can never stand it when it's with their newer younger people. If it's not at least Gus and Bernie I just skip it. Everyone else young from RT seems like they're constantly trying to play an annoying ass character.

Mully

Gamecock was the worst. They looked so childish when they crashed Ken Levine's speech at the VGA's nearly a decade ago. I'd be embarrassed to have them on my resume.

demidar

Does anyone have any experiences with the PS4 version? I've heard of some frame drops and problems with inventory/movement, though I suppose that's more exclusive to the gamepad rather than just console versions?

I don't have a PS4 but I am playing it on PC. My PC is a 5 year old piece of crap and I can still play Witcher 3 at about 20 fps (which is playable but ymmv) at the higher end of low graphics settings. I'm well below minimum requirements and was pleasantly surprised that the game ran "well" enough.

I really need to upgrade :/

I use to listen to their podcast, the drunk tank, but slowly fell off after they changed the name. Didn't have that same feel. Achievement hunter was alright for the time I watched it.

Wunder

I don't have a PS4 but I am playing it on PC. My PC is a 5 year old piece of crap and I can still play Witcher 3 at about 20 fps (which is playable but ymmv) at the higher end of low graphics settings. I'm well below minimum requirements and was pleasantly surprised that the game ran "well" enough.

I really need to upgrade :/

Cheers for the response, that only further complicates things :( I'm just under the minimum but a huge problem in my attempts to play Witcher 2 early on was extremely low fps which really hurt as it made all the exploration needed for the quests an absolute slog rather than an immersive exciting experience. I'm leaning towards PS4 at the moment since I really just want a smooth playing experience.

i am playing the ps4 version wunder. in chaotic scenes the framerate drops but it has been fine for me. just expect a bloodborne type of experience in the tech side

Yeah, but they couldn't keep it up.

S3bA2Ue.jpg

Dan and Drew are trolling hard in that Black Mesa QL :D the fact that they actually do a full quick look of that game without saying the words Half-Life is kinda amazing.

Meneses

I'm playing on the PS4. Looks nice but nothing spectacular in my opinion. Frame drops here and there, especially in more "busy" sections, and the pop-in is pretty bad, especially on horse since you're going faster.

Inventory management feels like a chore to me, but others may feel differently.

The game feels rather clunky in many ways but that will be the same across all platforms.

Jintor

Dan just said he played HL2 on Oculus on the podcast, so obviously he knows about HL and has heard the words Black Mesa etc.

Fox318

Playing The Witcher 3 while watching The Witcher 3 Quick look is too much Witcher.

You need to go deeper.

Listen to the Audiobook while watching them play while playing the witcher 1 2 and 3 plus the adventure game.

Throw on the TV series and have a book open.

I'm not sure if it's trolling or actual ignorance and it's driving me INSANE

It's clearly trolling. Dan did a full playthrough of HL in his Game Informer days and Drew at one point says "Oh a crowbar, you see a lot of knives and bats, but not a lot of crowbars in games." It's way too on the nose.

I remember RvB classic being great watches, but I'm sure if I ever go back to actually watch them, I will be disappointed.

Man, internet was weird back then. No YouTube, had to go to websites and download .wmvs to your "Funny Videos" folder. Anyone remember when poker was at its peak popularity and that guy made those Bill Fillmaff videos? I bet those are brutal now. Pure Pwnage was great too for a while, then it got too weird. Didn't they Kickstart a reboot or something?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's clearly trolling. Dan did a full playthrough of HL in his Game Informer days and Drew at one point says "Oh a crowbar, you see a lot of knives and bats, but not a lot of crowbars in games." It's way too on the nose.

Considering the responses wouldn't it be not on the nose enough?

Zaph

Considering the responses wouldn't it be not on the nose enough?

Yeah, but GAF is never a good barometer for that. Too many people eager to question someone else's gaming knowledge rather than ask themselves if they misunderstood or a joke went over their head.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
From the sounds of this Black Mesa quick look, I'm gonna have to go ahead and break my policy of never reading youtube comments. Wish me luck.

Tucah

you speak so well

Drew also makes a reference to Blue Shift.

What's the connection? The things that Dan complained about in that metro quicklook don't exactly appear in half life.

The metro games are basically Half Life meets STALKER (or the russian apocalypse, if you haven't played stalker before). The Metro games play well enough but atmospherically it rivals the Half Life games - especially Half Life 2 - when it comes to having environments that feel lively and are dripping with detail. I never do this but there were parts of the metro games where i just walked around a plaza full of people, listened to their conversations, followed what they were up to, and really just soaked in the world they built.

Dazzler

Really pumped for the Beastcast

Alex and Vinny are a really great combo

Like that time Homer and Principal Skinner were shacked up together in a hotel room

HL1 is a much better game than either Metro one

HL1 is a much better game than about 95% of all fps shooters, including other half life games.

what i'm saying is that you shouldnt be able to actively dislike Metro if you liked what the Half Life games brought to the table given that Metro does many of those things and then some.

popo

From the sounds of this Black Mesa quick look, I'm gonna have to go ahead and break my policy of never reading youtube comments. Wish me luck.

Good of you to team one for the team. Please cross post the best here so none of us has to suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom