• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brett > Greg

QX0uhJL.gif

Brett's a real sack of shit.

Watch Dogs may have won for Most Disappointing game, but Destiny is far more memorable in its disappointingness, and has continued to disappoint for months after its release.

Watch Dogs was very, very disappointing, yes, but Watch Dogs didn't come from a team known for their high quality third person action adventure games.

Destiny was a bungie joint, the expectations were much higher and all they did was create a game lacking a narrative that a regular, good human being could comprehend and that crappy narrative was the flimsy glue that tied a series of defend-the-point-from-waves-of-enemies gameplay that, if the game didn't look so damn good and the gunplay didn't feel so well done it would've been the Daikatana of 2014

I used to think "Well, maybe Destiny will come out in a year on PC and have all the content and be the game we wanted it to be." Now I think it's pretty clear that it won't be coming to PC, and that nobody cares because it will never be a great game.

Jason was pumped about getting that shard.

Watch Dogs was very, very disappointing, yes, but Watch Dogs didn't come from a team known for their high quality third person action adventure games.

Destiny was a bungie joint, the expectations were much higher and all they did was create a game lacking a narrative that a regular, good human being could comprehend and that crappy narrative was the flimsy glue that tied a series of defend-the-point-from-waves-of-enemies gameplay that, if the game didn't look so damn good and the gunplay didn't feel so well done it would've been the Daikatana of 2014

Narrative isn't exactly the thing I would look to Destiny for in the first place and I certainly don't think it's weak non existent narrative is anywhere close to that games main problem.

justjim89

All Dan's tweets about Letterman make me feel like I missed something in not watching him at all. I'm more of a Conan guy. That being said, Letterman came to my college to speak once when a building was named after him. Plus he's one of the few people of note to come out of my home state.

Nero18

Destiny might not have been the game most people expected it to be but that doesn't mean it didn't have other really strong qualities. Think we need to differentiate between "hyped game turned out to be bad" and "hyped game turned out to be different". From what i have seen the reactions for the new DLC has been pretty good.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
All Dan's tweets about Letterman make me feel like I missed something in not watching him at all. I'm more of a Conan guy. That being said, Letterman came to my college to speak once when a building was named after him. Plus he's one of the few people of note to come out of my home state.

You really haven't missed much for a long while. But you should go check out older clips of his some time. Without Letterman's strong influence, Conan's entire style of hosting a late night show would not exist. Conan would probably be the first to admit it and give even more credit than I am.

Destiny might not have been the game most people expected it to be but that doesn't mean it didn't have other really strong qualities. Think we need to differentiate between "hyped game turned out to be bad" and "hyped game turned out to be different". From what i have seen the reactions for the new DLC has been pretty good.

Everyone played the beta, no one expected destiny to be different. They just expected it to at least be better than "what if Apple designed Borderlands?" and to not be lacking in content

Hope they get their third GBeast guy on board soon. 3-man podcast is best podcast.

After the BLLSL the stream continued in the CBS lobby at the after party and one of the engineers was on the mic answering questions from chat.

Someone asked about the 3rd person and the response was not to expect anything any time soon, in a way which made me think that it isn't happening.

Nero18

Everyone played the beta, no one expected destiny to be different. They just expected it to at least be better than "what if Apple designed Borderlands?" and to not be lacking in content

"Better" is such a weird term to use though, a huge active community proves that the game did something right. People in general just seemed to expect a totally different game.

"Better" is such a weird term to use though, a huge active community proves that the game did something right. People in general just seemed to expect a totally different game.

People expected a game that wasn't lacking in content and poorly designed. Like other Bungie games.

What are the expectations people had that you seem to strongly disagree with?

DOTA2 has a large community, is it also exempt from being criticized? Because it's just crappy RTS Team Deathmatch except people get to be mad on the internet about it.

My favorite thing about the Witcher so far is that it treats me like a complete idiot. Thankfully Geralt is there every step of the way to narrate his every single moment and thought so I won't get confused. Thanks, Witcher.

Nero18

People expected a game that wasn't lacking in content and poorly designed. Like other Bungie games.

What are the expectations people had that you seem to strongly disagree with?

In what way was it lacking content? The main story was about 8-10 hours the first time, and just like Diablo, it is a game based on replaying content for better loot. In what context are you putting this game to say it lacked content? Where you expecting a 100 hour RPG?

EDIT: You can criticize Dota 2 all you want, but just saying "i wish it was better" doesn't really make sense to me. Would make more sense to say"it didn't fit my taste, this is how it could be better for me..."

What do you think people were expecting? There were certainly people who expected it to be an MMO but I think the majority expected Destiny to be what it actually is, they just expected there to be more.

Nero18

What do you think people were expecting? There were certainly people who expected it to be an MMO but I think the majority expected Destiny to be what it actually is, they just expected there to be more.

I don't really understand what people were expecting, that's what im trying to understand.

So I keep watching this Destiny thing, but it doesn't really seem like they changed anything? They made a few new maps, added new currency...

Still waiting until the "definitive" version comes out, when the game is fully realized.

I don't really understand what people were expecting, that's what im trying to understand.
Compared to borderlands, it's extremely lacking in content and variety.

Compared to other bungie shooters, it lacks a decent narrative to back its solid gameplay.

And compared to just about any decent shooter, it lacks in diverse mission design.

So it's a solid yet lacking game that's slim on content but executed well in regards to visual design and how its shooting is handled. Sound about right?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
My favorite thing about the Witcher so far is that it treats me like a complete idiot. Thankfully Geralt is there every step of the way to narrate his every single moment and thought so I won't get confused. Thanks, Witcher.

This is funny given how many complaints I've seen that the game doesn't tell you enough.

Nero18

Compared to other bungie shooters, it lacks a decent narrative to back its solid gameplay.

And compared to just about any decent shooter, it lacks in diverse mission design.

So it's a solid yet lacking game that's slim on content but executed well in regards to visual design and how its shooting is handled. Sound about right?

I'm not arguing about your opinions, it's just that forming critique in this way is super problematic. Project CARS (just an example) has weak design compared to Forza, lacks content compared to Gran Turismo and plays bad compared to iRacing. All in all, this says absolutely nothing about the actual game.

Just another case of everything having to be divided into either good or bad.

I'm not arguing about your opinions, it's just that forming critique in this way is super problematic. Project CARS (just an example) has weak design compared to Forza, lacks content compared to Gran Turismo and plays bad compared to iRacing. All in all, this says absolutely nothing about the actual game.

We're talking about a team that should know how to make a good shooter, that impressively failed to deliver on a quality game that was so hyped up, that was supposed to be a solid win.

Nero18

We're talking about a team that should know how to make a good shooter, that impressively failed to deliver on a quality game that was so hyped up, that was supposed to be a solid win.

I thought Destiny was a fantastic shooter and a quality game. You might have thought otherwise, and thats totally fine.

Jon Bois did a pretty succinct but accurate takedown of why Destiny sucks

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/14/8...ng-about-video-games-oh-this-will-be-adorable

Destiny both represents and precipitates a slow death of the heart. Ostensibly presented, as is every video game, as a refuge from our work and obligations, it instead re-packages that work and those obligations, rejoicing in them, blissfully conflating "doing stuff" with "fun." It doesn't want to say anything, nor does it want you to express yourself or see your handiwork or fingerprints in anything. It is a profoundly shitty video game better suited for the idle subroutines of a dreaming, hibernating console than any human being.

Since you, the player, are in this dream, you must make sense to the soulless automaton having this dream, and so you are assigned Roomba-like objectives: get a better gun! Get a better better gun! Get a scarf that stops bullets (?)!

We don't hear much from stamp collectors anymore, and as it turns out, this is where they went. They are all playing Destiny, heaping the dead livestock of time upon the pyre in tribute to The Collection Of Things.

This is funny given how many complaints I've seen that the game doesn't tell you enough.

I just did a side quest from the first area and he literally narrated the entire procedure. Every single step, every single clue. At one point he even let me know what he found must have belonged to the person hanging from right above it. He's like a detective in a really bad tv show that has to let you know what every single clue means when you already know.

Yeah, those blood tracks must lead somewhere and I should check it out. Smeared handprint, a struggle you say? Bloody palm print that leads to the single thing you're investigating, I wonder where I should look next. I found an object I was looking for right underneath a body I was looking for and it must belong to that person? Good thing he's there to let me know every single step of the way.

He even let me know it must be a woman thanks to her wide pelvis, small jaw and tiny hands. He's like that guy from Psych.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom