• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's much to talk about Half-Life these days.

Wow those comments on the site. We already knew this, but some Giant Bomb fans really are fucking crazy people.

Yes, yes they are.

Like when did they hint at it being a joke? It just seems like they have no idea what they're talking about, maybe I missed the presumed humor of playing dumb.

I thought it was pretty clear.

Like when did they hint at it being a joke? It just seems like they have no idea what they're talking about, maybe I missed the presumed humor of playing dumb.

The tone at the start and "it feels like a throw back to an early FPS. It feels very much like mid-nineties FPS."

Dan might have also been making a reference to the timeline of Half Life 2 when he says "we're about 6 years away from this tech."

Also the fact that there is video of him playing fucking Half Life already.

Zaph

Are we really at the point where the exact starting point of a joke needs explaining?

I like to think we're better than this.

you know what? that "rider meet horse" kinect QL is a fucking terrible demonstration of the game* but it's one of the greatest videos on the internet. i go to GB exactly because they do goofy shit sometimes.

*actually it's probably pretty representative of the final product if we're being honest

danm999

Dan saying it feels like a Counter Strike rip off.

Drew implying it would be cool to see a game like this from the guard's perspective.

Dan saying it felt like a shooter from between COD and Doom eras.

Myggen

Dan calling the multiplayer a ripoff of Counter Strike is another example, in addition to the ones given. I have no idea how people didn't catch all of those obvious hints.

I don't think there's much to talk about Half-Life these days.

Wow those comments on the site. We already knew this, but some Giant Bomb fans really are fucking crazy people.

There's a lot of crazies everywhere. Comments on the site have been getting extremely angry at nothing lately. You see it pretty often now. The comments on the site being way, way worse than the Youtube comments on that video is pretty sad.

danm999

Lol I don't even know anymore.

Honestly, I wouldn't even sweat it. I think we've all been in circumstances where we haven't gotten a joke or a reference or something and been filled in later, even if we know the source material.

The really funny shit is the people who went in guns blazing in the comment section at Dan and Drew for not knowing about Half Life, then when gently told they were joking, began ranting about editorial integrity and the death of Giant Bomb and the end of video games.

that Destiny stream archive is up

also 326 comments on that friggin Black Mesa video

If I were Jeff I'd be pretty stoked about being out of the office and letting those chuckleheads sort out that nonsense themselves

Honestly, I wouldn't even sweat it. I think we've all been in circumstances where we haven't gotten a joke or a reference or something and been filled in later, even if we know the source material.

The really funny shit is the people who went in guns blazing in the comment section at Dan and Drew for not knowing about Half Life, then when gently told they were joking, began ranting about editorial integrity and the death of Giant Bomb and the end of video games.

I'm not worried about it, I guess I just didn't find it very funny, oh well. The comment section on the video are insane, some people took genuine offense from it.

I'm not worried about it, I guess I just didn't find it very funny, oh well. The comment section on the video are insane, some people took genuine offense from it.

Oh the hilarity of it comes from the comments. The video itself is basically

c5f.gif

ANOTHER THING I don't understand

whhyyyy are people so compelled to write "I got this joke but it wasn't funny" over and over and/or write multiple paragraphs about why they did not enjoy it?

telling someone you don't think a joke is funny is pretty high on the list of things that are completely unnecessary to say out loud... ever

whhyyyy are people so compelled to write "I got this joke but it wasn't funny" over and over and/or write multiple paragraphs about why they did not enjoy it?

telling someone you don't think a joke is funny is pretty high on the list of things that are completely unnecessary to say out loud... ever

sorry m8

Myggen

WHAT THE FUCK YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HALF-LIFE 1,THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME???????????

*gets linked a video series of Dan playing HL1, and explained all the references in the video*

FUCK YOU THEY LIED ABOUT THE GAME, WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS WATCHING THIS WHO HAVE NEVER HEARD OF HALF-LIFE AND WILL NOW THINK OF THIS AS SOME BAD INDIE????????

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
you know what? that "rider meet horse" kinect QL is a fucking terrible demonstration of the game* but it's one of the greatest videos on the internet. i go to GB exactly because they do goofy shit sometimes.

*actually it's probably pretty representative of the final product if we're being honest

That was the final product! They paid money in stores for all of those games! That was recorded during the launch day stream, which makes it even more hilarious because Ryan had put up with hours of Kinect by that point and showed no signs of giving up like he did in that video.

Jothel

I came into work today to be told "yo no ones here you can go home" so I'm gonna spend the rest of the day catching up on GB stuff, what are the recent must-sees?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait peeps thought the Black Mesa quicklook was serious? :/

It was obviously a joke, just not a very good one, and much less one that should carry for the entire quicklook

Feelings of superiority from the fallacious idea that finding fault in something makes you smarter than the people that like it. People (esp. on the internet) tend to believe that the lowest level of intelligence is to dislike something due to not understanding it, while the apex is to understand it and dislike it. People are super eager to convince you that they're in the latter category and not the former.

Or in other words:

WHAT THE FUCK YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HALF-LIFE 1,THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME???????????

*gets linked a video series of Dan playing HL1, and explained all the references in the video*

FUCK YOU THEY LIED ABOUT THE GAME, WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS WATCHING THIS WHO HAVE NEVER HEARD OF HALF-LIFE AND WILL NOW THINK OF THIS AS SOME BAD INDIE????????

I actually had no idea about that video series, I might watch it now, I'm sure there's a lot of GI Dan stuff I haven't seen worth watching.

Myggen

it's fine, it's more me getting irritated at the guy who posted like 6 times in a row in the comments saying how he did not appreciate the joke he didn't find funny

That dude even took a screenshot of one of those comments and sent it to Dan on Twitter, I shit you not. It's in the replies to Dan's tweet about that video.

Myggen

I mean, that looked like a bad indie to me. Have no idea why I would play that instead of HL1 for the billionth time.

Black Mesa is impressive to me in the sheer scope of the project, but I've never liked playing it. I prefer the original. The project has also taken so long that it doesn't really look that good visually anymore.

What even is the mission statement of it? I've always assumed it was just a graphical overhaul but the design on display was different too. So it's actually HL1 reinterpreted by some random ass development team? Why would I want to play that?

Yeah the Black Mesa Unfinished is pretty brilliant. Dan and Drew keeping the act going the whole time, well done.

I thought Drew got a tad bit sloppy when he brought up his hope for the existence for what is essentially Half-Life: Blue Shift. He was too specific. If people still thought they weren't joking, even after that.... Yikes. Subtlety is the key to maintaining the balance between obvious joke and reality.

I didn't see this in the Black Mesa Quick Look, so if you have played the early access game, have the devs rerecorded the voice acting? If I recall, when it was just a mod, they purposefully recorded substandard voice acting to make it seem stilted and hilariously made. So, does that voice acting still remain or did they change their mind?

What even is the mission statement of it? I've always assumed it was just a graphical overhaul but the design on display was different too. So it's actually HL1 reinterpreted by some random ass development team? Why would I want to play that?

Well, the mission statement was to redo HL1 in the Source engine after HL Source was just the same game running in a fancier engine with nicer water.

That was about 11 years ago, so they ended up changing things a bit.

HL Source is a hilarious thing because you're basically forced to noclip through certain areas because Source physics break some jumping puzzles. the suspended crates (that now swing around) section is just totally fucked

also emcee I just saw your xbox/sony tweet and had a good laugh so thank you

valeo

I thought Drew got a tad bit sloppy when he brought up his hope for the existence for what is essentially Half-Life: Blue Shift. He was too specific. If people still thought they weren't joking, even after that.... Yikes. Subtlety is the key to maintaining the balance between obvious joke and reality.

Nope; was perfect because it only caught out the stupidest of the stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom