• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandie

I can verify Gandie knows how to score goals. Also that I am apparently a cheater for running down the goalie on the other team. Rulebook was unclear.

Keeper should be like:

wiese241_v-vierspaltig.jpg

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What're the chances this is a Tommy Wiseau situation where the movie/game was actually supposed to be completely serious, but after seeing the reaction to it, the creator just said "fuck it, it was meant to be funny the entire time"?

Based on the way that everybody involved seems to be loving the conversation on Twitter, I have to think they knew what they were making. Which makes it even better, because it's not full of wink/nudge "Isn't this all dumb?" nods at the player. They did an excellent job of playing it more or less straight.

Myggen

Besides the lack of customization and some polish issues, it looks fine to me.

Looks like a launch game, and that's the problem. They've taken out so much from the past games. The gameplay might be okay, but all that stuff lacking seriously harms the game's replay value. Also, those performance issues at the end of the QL are just embarrassing for everyone involved.

Mr. F

Banned
I was sold on Magic Circle after hearing Jeff talk about it on the bombcast, but the game feels totally let down by weak writing and cringey performances (looks nice though). Reminds me of going behind the scenes of the levels in Portal, would love to see this kind of premise in more capable hands.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
because it's not full of wink/nudge "Isn't this all dumb?" nods at the player. They did an excellent job of playing it more or less straight.

If they do a sequel, hopefully they'll be able to maintain that sort of approach. Leaning too much into it could easily ruin what makes it so good.

I don't think this has been posted here? If it has, please ignore.

Tim Follin (creator of Contradiction, legendary game composer) created a thread on the GB forums 3 hours ago:

He's also responding to people asking him questions etc.

Thanks for the heads up.

He's already explained the bizarre control scheme:

ContradictionVG (GB Forums) said:
To 'explain' the controls - it was all designed for the Amazon TV box, basically - yes that doesn't make any sense I know, but that's where the interface came from and I had to abandon it in the end, but I decided to stick with something that'd work with the controller, and obviously completely failed at it - I should have reverted back to my original PC design which was all point and click, but I was also desperate to release it and just ran out of time with it, so I had to stick with it. However... If anyone has any suggestions for a complete redesign I'll try and do it (though it's probably a bit late now!) - probably the iPad interface is more intuitive!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Man that new PGA sur look like a shit EA Sports game.

Just watched the quick look. God damn. I stopped buying Madden games at the start of last gen because they hit the reset button, stripped the game down to a complete barebones experience, and were releasing games that were just worse in every single way than the late PS2 games. I can't believe they're pulling this shit again. I guess in six years there might be a competent golf game on the new consoles that's up to the lofty standards of Tiger Woods 2008.

Megasoum

Banned
The menus are the thing I hate the most about all the EA Sports games since the start of the 360 gen... Like they could never get smooth menus, it's ALWAYS hitchy and slow. Like seriously? Those are fucking 2D menus.

I was sold on Magic Circle after hearing Jeff talk about it on the bombcast, but the game feels totally let down by weak writing and cringey performances (looks nice though). Reminds me of going behind the scenes of the levels in Portal, would love to see this kind of premise in more capable hands.

Yeah the concept is really cool but it feels bogged down by the dialogue, I'll probably pick it up at some point because I do really like the concept.

Brad's posted in the Witcher 3 patch thread more than he's ever posted in a Giant Bomb thread. Why does he hate us? :(

Seriously though, this Witcher 3 patch business is annoying. It still hasn't even gone online for me. No wonder he's posting in there.

tuxfool

Banned
Brad's posted in the Witcher 3 patch thread more than he's ever posted in a Giant Bomb thread. Why does he hate us? :(

Seriously though, this Witcher 3 patch business is annoying. It still hasn't even gone online for me. No wonder he's posting in there.

It is an obscure issue that most people don't care a lot about. GAF would be one of the few places where people noticed these kinds of things.

Myggen

Watching Dan's Rocket League stream now, and my takeaway from that is that GBEast has no chance in the rematch stream. Dan's always learning game mechanics really quick, and if he keeps practising he can probably beat GBEast by himself :p

Yeah!

This is the schedule for people interested. All Pacific:

9am - Guilty Gear Xrd Finals
11am - Mortal Kombat X FInals
1pm - Smash Melee Finals
4pm - Marvel vs Capcom 3 Finals
6:30pm - Ultra Street Fighter IV Finals

It's all on /chat

daydream

Banned
tim follin seems like a down-to-earth dude

i wonder if a rad chiptune soundtrack would have made contradiction even better (ok ok it wouldn't fit, i just want more follin music)

anyway, good to hear the game is doing well

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I would bet not. Left foot braking is very common in racing though. Especially for cars with a turbo.

nah, football is a contact sport. It isn't like he kung fu kicked a spectator, Cantona style.

ericcantonakungfukickca1.jpg

I know it's a contact sport, but I'm pretty sure the underside of the boot is a big no no.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
tim follin seems like a down-to-earth dude

i wonder if a rad chiptune soundtrack would have made contradiction even better (ok ok it wouldn't fit, i just want more follin music)

anyway, good to hear the gane is doing well

Is it doing well? What numbers I can find seem awfully low.

Yeah!

This is the schedule for people interested. All Pacific:

9am - Guilty Gear Xrd Finals
11am - Mortal Kombat X FInals
1pm - Smash Melee Finals
4pm - Marvel vs Capcom 3 Finals
6:30pm - Ultra Street Fighter IV Finals

It's all on /chat
So the two most interesting games for me aren't even on today. That sucks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Does EA NOT make anything disappointing anymore? They can't even get their golf shit right anymore?

I want to know what happened to that PS4 Everybody's Golf Open World thing that got announced a while back

Bacon

I tried watching some evo last night but the announcers had me turning it off pretty quickly. They were just shouting at the top of their lungs the entire time. Is it always like that?

tchocky

I tried watching some evo last night but the announcers had me turning it off pretty quickly. They were just shouting at the top of their lungs the entire time. Is it always like that?

I only watched the end of the Catherine final and the commentators were talking about getting it trending on twitter it was like an episode of Raw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom