• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DamnBoxes

was that dude just showing off and trying to win by timeout or was there a valid strategy to what he was doing?

Don't think he was showing off; looked like a game of chicken he had no reason to back out of until the crowd started giving him shit. I feel for the guy!

i think the hair tone menu cracked me up the most

"let's not have, you know, natural hair colour options. just put in the default palette from ms paint in there instead."

oh my god

this is AWFUL

it's so LAZY

"choose which flavor of generic white man you would like to be!"

Edit; seriously, the menus in this game seem like they're still stuck in the mid-2000s for EA Sports games.

the battlefield soldier

It's Rory McIlroy's Golf not Tiger Wood's.

It's not the same content. It's not the same game!

And it's the first next-gen EA Sports golf game. It's not gonna be fully featured. Look at NHL last year. It was a shell of the previous games. Last year if, you wanted NHL you had two options, get next gen and get better graphics with bare bones features or get last gen and get worse graphics with in depth features. This year's edition seemed to have all the important features again. So, I assume the same will happen with next year's golf game.

RARR GERSTMANN SMASH STILL THE MOST ACCURATE EA CAW
mSoPWdu.gif

repeater

Watching Dan's Rocket League stream now, and my takeaway from that is that GBEast has no chance in the rematch stream. Dan's always learning game mechanics really quick, and if he keeps practising he can probably beat GBEast by himself :p
So how about this: Austin and Alex focus entirely on knocking Jeff and Dan over constantly, leaving the game effectively a 1-on-1 between Brad and Vinny.

Austin, if you're reading this you guys can use this tactic royalty-free, but I would like a shoutout on-air.

Who am I kidding, Brad would still win that match-up. :(

daydream

Banned
And it's the first next-gen EA Sports golf game. It's not gonna be fully featured. Look at NHL last year. It was a shell of the previous games. Last year if, you wanted NHL you had two options, get next gen and get better graphics with bare bones features or get last gen and get worse graphics with in depth features. This year's edition seemed to have all the important features again. So, I assume the same will happen with next year's golf game.

which is an utterly irresponsible way of handling it

i'd probably find an ea-rly access model where they added in the missing features over the coming months less scummy, tbh

So how about this: Austin and Alex focus entirely on knocking Jeff and Dan over constantly, leaving the game effectively a 1-on-1 between Brad and Vinny.

Austin, if you're reading this you guys can use this tactic royalty-free, but I would like a shoutout on-air.

Who am I kidding, Brad would still win that match-up. :(

We learned that betting against Brad is a bad decision.

tchocky

The difference is they only had a year to make that NHL game since it was still annual releases with PGA they took a year off to give them 2 years to make this game.

daydream

Banned
We learned that betting against Brad is a bad decision.

i bet against brad and won but the outcome was also not entirely contingent on brad's cooperation (which he naturally denied me of)

that's how you gotta do it

i guess he wasn't acting solo in rocket league, either. maybe the better rule of thumb in this case was, never bet against dan in a competitive setting

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't know why I got the impression that Brad only played a few hours of Witcher 3. He said in that patch thread he's played more than 30 hours. He's referenced where in the game he is, but I haven't played it myself so I wasn't sure how far along it was.

I don't know why I got the impression that Brad only played a few hours of Witcher 3. He said in that patch thread he's played more than 30 hours. He's referenced where in the game he is, but I haven't played it myself so I wasn't sure how far along it was.

Where is he? I'm 34 hours in and I'm about to finally go to Skellige, but I'm kind of doing everything there is to do in Novigrad at my level before I leave.

The problem with that is that I keep leveling up in Novigrad and becoming high enough level to do more stuff and unlock even more quests.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The 'new' control scheme doesn't effect the biggest issues I had with the games controls in the first place, the horses and your inability to turn quickly without having to do a Rockstar cycle quarter turn animation.

All it does is make it so you don't accelerate when running. That you go right to top speed. Not a fan of it. I'm also not a fan of how I have 6 quests currently sitting in my log unfinished because all 6 bugged out and I can't complete them.

The more time you spend with Witcher 3 after the zeitgeist, I think the more blatant its errors become to you. I still really like the stuff it does well, but the downsides are getting harder and harder to ignore.

the further from release I get the happier I am I didn't buy it immediately. I bet it will be awesome and totally functional by the time I get it.

So I reinstalled Destiny after 6+ months away.

Weird seeing what they have added since. I guess the DLC's introduced a bunch of new bounties to do over and over? And the new special space is 1 room? OK.

I also did a strike that was like...10 minutes long which was really eventful and using already used areas expect for the final boss fight which was in a new room!

I hope it isnt all like that because even the shitty PS4 exclusive strike at launch was a decent length. Havent really touched the Wolves stuff yet. Might do that later.

I dunno man. This game is still real weird. The DLC both feels like content stripped out of the main game AND also hastelloy slapped into the existing framework. Its real stange.

I think I might see about hooking with Destiny GAF to at least give a raid a honest go though. I just want to give it one last shot before the new expansion comes out and I cant play this game with people again without having to spend $40.

So I reinstalled Destiny after 6+ months away.

Weird seeing what they have added since. I guess the DLC's introduced a bunch of new bounties to do over and over? And the new special space is 1 room? OK.

I also did a strike that was like...10 minutes long which was really eventful and using already used areas expect for the final boss fight which was in a new room!

I hope it isnt all like that because even the shitty PS4 exclusive strike at launch was a decent length. Havent really touched the Wolves stuff yet. Might do that later.

I dunno man. This game is still real weird. The DLC both feels like content stripped out of the main game AND also hastelloy slapped into the existing framework. Its real stange.

I think I might see about hooking with Destiny GAF to at least give a raid a honest go though. I just want to give it one last shot before the new expansion comes out and I cant play this game with people again without having to spend $40.

I also got the DLC as part of the Xbox sale and it's still weird yes. They didn't yet reach their Diablo 3 "Shit's fixed" moment.

By Destiny 3 they are going to get there I guess.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
the further from release I get the happier I am I didn't buy it immediately. I bet it will be awesome and totally functional by the time I get it.

I dunno, I've found it to be pretty awesome from sort of day 1 onwards

I dunno, I've found it to be pretty awesome from sort of day 1 onwards

I picked it up after the zeitgeist and a lot of the flaws people list I feel like don't really affect what make it a great game.

It's the anti-destiny. The mechanics might not be as tight as they could be, but the story and the sheer amount of stuff to do makes it incredible. Its scale is what makes it an impressive game.

I'm not waiting for it to "get better," I just have to wait for other reasons. sounds like I get a bunch of fixes as a bonus.

That's by far the better choice honestly. It's a great game but the constant patching which is fixing stuff and also creating new issues is both great and really frustrating, I've struggled to get back into it ever since that save bug that happened a while ago.

I don't think it's even locked. It seems like it gets up over 30 sometimes, and to my eye the menus seem to run at 60.

Really strange.

It also renders at 1024x768 which is a real weird one.

And I think it used double buffering v sync so its locks to 20fps when things get rocky instead of doing smaller FPS dips.

Weird game. Shame we might never see a remaster because its a great example of a game that could use one.

edit. Here is a digital foundry video showing the frame rate. I knew they did something with that game semi recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7gmgg5UzvY

Its capped at 30fps but you basically one have 2 frame rates. Smooth as silk 30fps or 20fps or lower. Almost no in between.

Oh definitely. Some of the small hallway sections look like they're running at close to 60, even. Then there's an explosion outside and it drops into the teens.

It also renders at 1024x768 which is a real weird one.

And I think it used double buffering v sync so its locks to 20fps when things get rocky instead of doing smaller FPS dips.

Weird game. Shame we might never see a remaster because its a great example of a game that could use one.

how horrifying

Yeah, I'd love to see a remaster, if not a full remake in the FOX engine.

edit: as far as that digital foundry vid goes, it definitely locks at 30 most of the time, but in some instances, say, the interior of the hotel that drew arrived at in the last episode, it seems to jump above 30. It's not just from watching the video, either, because I remember taking note of it when I played that part earlier this year.

Konami is going to milk MGS for all its worth so I wouldnt be suprised to see hd/remasters for xbone, ps4 and steam

If they are deinvesting in traditional games, I don't see them investing the money it would require to develop a serious remake, so I would expect nothing more than possibly a port of the HD PS3 collection. Though, if they released that on PC, I'll be happy enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom