• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamc723

You can't just do that in a competitive match literally worth approximately $33,362. Pausing in the middle of a game has a plethora of factors to it which does not make simply resuming the game viable in any way.

I get that pausing the game has an affect, but it wasn't exactly his fault, right? The controller disconnected.

Jintor

What's so controversial about this? Just...reconnect the controller? Am I missing something here?

think about the dynamics and mindgames of a match, a controller disconnect completely wrecks any legit flow that's happening. it throws the veracity of a match's win into doubt too.

Also this was in the fifth game of a first-to-five Grand Finals match, so possibly the very worst place for a razer joystick to fail

The KI top 8 was fucking awesome, mostly thanks to Maximilian doing his commentary. Dude is great at getting hype during hype moments even if you're not entirely sure what's happening.

Jintor

i was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed KI top 8, I have zero knowledge of KI apart from whatever stuff Jeff says about it which I kinda follow in a fundamental kinda way but not really in the specifics.

looked hella fun though

The KI top 8 was fucking awesome, mostly thanks to Maximilian doing his commentary. Dude is great at getting hype during hype moments even if you're not entirely sure what's happening.
I always find KI really entertaining to watch, I think part of it is just due to how good everything in that game sounds. The combos are also entertaining and I find them easier to follow than most other fighting games.

Xater

i was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed KI top 8, I have zero knowledge of KI apart from whatever stuff Jeff says about it which I kinda follow in a fundamental kinda way but not really in the specifics.

looked hella fun though

I still remember playing KI at Gamescom pr-release and I came back super impressed with the game. No one believed me that it's actually really good. Game would probably be more successful if it wasn't "stuck" on Xbone. Maybe the PC release will help.

I hope they have Jason on this week and get Austin to call in to discuss Evo during this week's Bombcast. It probably would be stale by Friday's Beastcast.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Y'know, listening to the bombcast talking about the vita, and while I do love my vita, I can definitely see their view on it. Though that got me thinking. Are they even interested in the 3DS anymore? Other than MH4, which they seemed to have dropped pretty quickly, I really can't remember them talking about anything 3DS related this year.

Xater

Y'know, listening to the bombcast talking about the vita, and while I do love my vita, I can definitely see their view on it. Though that got me thinking. Are they even interested in the 3DS anymore? Other than MH4, which they seemed to have dropped pretty quickly, I really can't remember them talking about anything 3DS related this year.

The you are quite mistaken. Code Name: Steam, Majora's Mask and Puzzle and Dragons were definitely talking points as well.

Haunted

but here's the bit people are really going nuts about

9b14aa9657.gif
super rude to pause the game that many times in a row

Antiwhippy

The you are quite mistaken. Code Name: Steam, Majora's Mask and Puzzle and Dragons were definitely talking points as well.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about P&D.

Majora's mask seems to be something only Dan is interested in (despite brad saying that he might give it a chance) and no one seemed to have liked code name: steam.

The vita is heaven for jrpg fans but I can totally understand everybody else's disappointment

Year of the Vita music game. It's ridiculous how many there are.

Xater

The vita is heaven for jrpg fans but I can totally understand everybody else's disappointment

Pretty sure there are more and bigger JRPGs coming out on the 3DS. Vita seems to only get the B-Tier efforts.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about P&D.

Majora's mask seems to be something only Dan is interested in (despite brad saying that he might give it a chance) and no one seemed to have liked code name: steam.

Also think this year has so far been quite light on good 3DS releases.

Long shot but would anyone happen to know where to sing the music at the start of last weeks Bombcast? It reminded me a lot of the music in Perfect Dark. Sorta mellow synthy Jazz .

Antiwhippy

Pretty sure there are more and bigger JRPGs coming out on the 3DS. Vita seems to only get the B-Tier efforts.

I seriously cannot think of any A-tier JRPGs on the 3DS.

The only one I can think of Xenoblade.

edit: wait wait, forgot about persona q and fire emblem. Also SMT4 and the etrian odyssey games.

Still wouldn't put it above the vita though.

since pretty much all Falcom and Gust and non-Persona Atlus games are "b-tier" I'm just fine with that. what's a-tier anyway? Square games? Fire Emblem?

FluxWaveZ

Examples? Only thing that comes to mind is Bravely Second.

Oh yeah, and Fire Emblem counts as an SRPG. And there's all of the Atlus stuff coming out later this year, too.

Edit: Oh, overall? I would still say the Vita definitely has the advantage for JRPGs.

Xater

I seriously cannot think of any A-tier JRPGs on the 3DS.

The only one I can think of Xenoblade.

edit: wait wait, forgot about persona q.

You edited in Persona Q then there are also Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Inazuma series is big, Etrian Odyssey, Pokemon, Mario & Luigi.

Then even more SMT spin-offs.

Antiwhippy

I will fight anyone who says that bravely default is an actually good game.

It's an ok game repeated multiple times.

Zaph

Someone on jeff's tumblr said there's a game called skyforge which apparently plays like pso. Is there any truth to this or is he a filthy liar?

I will fight anyone who says that bravely default is an actually good game.

It's an ok game repeated multiple times.

my excitement/enjoyment arc on that game was kind of hilarious. I got up to the part where you talk to that guy to get the dress and was then so done with the game that I sold it (for more than I paid for it!)

Xater

Also I mostly don't like the games I have mentioned. Most JRPGs these days just bore me. Still think those are all bigger games than whatever the Vita is getting in that genre.

Vita has good JRPGs? All I see is cookie-cutter dungeon crawlers or SRPGs with the perv factor up to eleven. Oh, and Persona 4 Golden.

I'm only half-serious with my statements.

Xater

Persona Q is a great game but it's also one labyrinth too long. I'm not sure if I'll ever finish it.

I'm at a point where most JRPGs feel to long. Most have an interesting beginning and end, but also this huge middle part where everything seems to not move anywhere. And usually that's when I give up because rarely are the game systems interesting enough to get me through that. Bravely Default was a huge offender when it comes to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom