• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Is MGR the best Platinum game? I just bought it for 7 bucks. I couldn't wrap my head around Wonderful 101. Infinite Space was great.

Not the best. Bayo 1/2 and Vanquish are all better. But MGR is still really good.

On a bus right now and a car just rolled up next to us and on the back window is a large sticker that says "Vape Life"

If you're in a "stand your ground" state you're well within your rights to open fire on them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I blame Navarro for this.

Qc4yoTl.jpg

santeesioux

I finally caved and bought Bayo 2 on Amazon, you guys saying this series is above MGR is making me really hyped. Too bad it's going into the backlog pit.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
blood decapitate

Unfortunately the Sonic part really gives it away as a forgery. If it was a real Sonic fan, that would be incorporated into the design in some terrifying way.

Volotaire

Ermm I thought they revealed it was
Olga's daughter until Naomi arrives on the Nomad?
(MGS4)

EDIT: Also, I did not know the mission briefings were extra cutscenes!

MGS 4 discussion, not really spoilers:

Regarding the Act 1 Briefing not playing during the game in MGS 4:
What is up with that? The game goes as far as showing the egg breaking scene that begins all briefings but then skip the actual briefing. Weird.
Could it be a *gasp* bug?

What is up with that? The game goes as far as showing the egg breaking scene that begins all briefings but then skip the actual briefing. Weird.

The full briefings were always an optional thing as far as I remember.

Zebetite

Banned
Ermm I thought they revealed it was
Olga's daughter until Naomi arrives on the Nomad?
(MGS4)

EDIT: Also, I did not know the mission briefings were extra cutscenes!

the game stitches a choice to watch the briefings for acts 2-5 into the general progression of the game, the act 1 briefing is relegated to the menu

MGS 4 discussion, not really spoilers:

I think they really wanted to toss a few minutes of gameplay at you right away instead of a 30 minute cutscene.

Makes zero sense story wise but yo.... welcome to MGS4

Tagyhag

So is it just me or does the video player refuse to work sometimes?

It'll just hang at a random time, and then reset altogether making me lose my spot or it'll just not play from where you choose a time.

And sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes it doesn't. I wonder if it has to do with the traffic on the site or something, though I do feel that it happens more frequently on their older videos.

My favorite thing about games made in the late 2000s is that they were operating under the assumption that the military would totally be using the XM8. off the top of my head, MGS4 and battlefield bad company both have it.

Volotaire

MGS4 spoilers again.
Dan also just revealed that Johnny does not have nanomachines (although it was obvious by the end of Act 1)

MGS4 spoilers again.
Dan also just revealed that Johnny does not have nanomachines (although it was obvious by the end of Act 1)

No idea why he felt the need to say that
and that Sunny is Olga's daughter
since the game hints at them and then tells you directly when it needs to.

I'm actually glad that Drew picked up on a couple of the bosses(Solidus Type, Psycho Mantis like).

Totally my favorite boss reveal of any MGS. Drew seems to be enjoying how cutscene heavy it is also, which is surprising.

daydream

Banned
second ranking of fighters potentially happening on wednesday

also qls of deception iv, trove and skyforge

"we're gonna try and make some things happen that people might like" - dru

daydream

Banned
Finally the return of Bladerunner confirmed!

Seriously, that is a hell of a tease from Mr. Scanlon- I can hardly wait to see what he was talking about

he could have just been referring to their output in a general sense, it's hard to tell

the thing that came to my mind was mpp5 but if the wednesday slot goes to rof, that's probably off the table for this week

Zebetite

Banned
continuing my weird performance art piece where Metal Gear Scanlon 4 prompts bizarre rants about how much i dislike this video game:

metal gear solid 4 is when the fuckin' terrorists won. the internet perpetuated a myth that MGS were "just movies" and MGS4 was a final concession to them: "well, if that's what you want, i guess now we're just a movie!"

three of the most creative, inventive, complex and interesting video games of their respective eras thrown under the bus to placate the lowest common denomigamers who could not comprehend or appreciate a game that uses a face button to shoot your gun instead of a trigger, who'd spent an internet lifetime perpetuating a myth that these beautiful things that they couldn't appreciate were "just movies"

metal gear solid 4 is a game divided: on one hand, it is simultaneously a huge heap of fanservice dedicated to the first three games, attempting to close the loop. this fanservice is often to the game's detriment, and also frequently a critical miscalculation of what at least i want out of a metal gear game. on the other hand, it's a metal gear game tailor-made for people who never liked metal gear to begin with.

the end result is, well, a metal gear game tailor-made for people who never liked metal gear to begin with that occasionally tips its hat to people who liked metal gear (or rather, tips its hat every two minutes, but nineteen times out of twenty it drops the hat on the ground and tries to pick it up while still trying to look cool). it's not all that surprising that people (continue to) sing its praises from the rooftop. it's not all that surprising that countless outlets awarded it a perfect score.

after all, you pull a trigger to shoot in this one. GAME OF THE YEAR.

DISCLAIMER: these opinions are merely my own and are also exaggerated for effect and entertainment value. i am a big enough man to recognize that different people like different things and that our opinions are equally meaningless in the context of the benign indifference of the universe, but i am not a big enough man to fit that fact into my chosen internet persona, except when i turn the lights back on and get real with y'all in a spoiler tag

he could have just been referring to their output in a general sense, it's hard to tell

the thing that came to my mind was mpp5 but if the wednesday slot goes to rof, that's probably off the table for this week

I know it's probably nothing, I was just you know... caught in a daydream ;)

Good call on MPP 5, though. Did I mention it's the best game in the series?

An entertaining rant

What do you think of THIS: Are there many PS3 games that inspire you to write long rants about like this? I'm with you on some of what you said but long ago I was forced to accept that MGS 4 elicits so much emotion (a mix of positive & negative) from me that it simply must be the best game on PS3.

Mature

Things Drew would probably benefit from in MGS4:
-10000% more crouch walking
-Going easy on inventory slots to reduce stress build up and psyche drain
-Utilizing Solid Eye for more than NV, specifically for spotting items/enemies
-Understanding he's on the rebel's side by default
-Understanding the threat ring (sitting still and crouching to see enemy movement)
-Codec

He's doing decently so far, but it's unfortunate to see him skip over large areas by running and burning through rations.
Get'em Drew! (and good job Cmdr Ryckert)

Also, Drew must have heard of this:
pCtH91O.jpg

justjim89

continuing my weird performance art piece where Metal Gear Scanlon 4 prompts bizarre rants about how much i dislike this video game:

metal gear solid 4 is when the fuckin' terrorists won. the internet perpetuated a myth that MGS were "just movies" and MGS4 was a final concession to them: "well, if that's what you want, i guess now we're just a movie!"

three of the most creative, inventive, complex and interesting video games of their respective eras thrown under the bus to placate the lowest common denomigamers who could not comprehend or appreciate a game that uses a face button to shoot your gun instead of a trigger, who'd spent an internet lifetime perpetuating a myth that these beautiful things that they couldn't appreciate were "just movies"

metal gear solid 4 is a game divided: on one hand, it is simultaneously a huge heap of fanservice dedicated to the first three games, attempting to close the loop. this fanservice is often to the game's detriment, and also frequently a critical miscalculation of what at least i want out of a metal gear game. on the other hand, it's a metal gear game tailor-made for people who never liked metal gear to begin with.

the end result is, well, a metal gear game tailor-made for people who never liked metal gear to begin with that occasionally tips its hat to people who liked metal gear (or rather, tips its hat every two minutes, but nineteen times out of twenty it drops the hat on the ground and tries to pick it up while still trying to look cool). it's not all that surprising that people (continue to) sing its praises from the rooftop. it's not all that surprising that countless outlets awarded it a perfect score.

after all, you pull a trigger to shoot in this one. GAME OF THE YEAR.

DISCLAIMER: these opinions are merely my own and are also exaggerated for effect and entertainment value. i am a big enough man to recognize that different people like different things and that our opinions are equally meaningless in the context of the benign indifference of the universe, but i am not a big enough man to fit that fact into my chosen internet persona, except when i turn the lights back on and get real with y'all in a spoiler tag

If I had the Charles Foster Kane clapping gif I'd use it here. Beautifully put.

hamchan

I can see why they put the mission briefing in a seperate menu, because it's FUCKING BORING.

I remember all the later briefings being super boring and long too.

Honestly, I only rag on hardcore MGS fans about MGS4 because they take it so damn seriously. I don't actually think MGS4 is the best because as much as I like those games, I never cared about ranking them. I'm just a fan of the series that enjoys seeing the madness come out of Kojima's mind for better or for worse.

Myggen

Honestly, I only rag on hardcore MGS fans about MGS4 because they take it so damn seriously. I don't actually think MGS4 is the best because as much as I like those games, I never cared about ranking them. I'm just a fan of the series that enjoys seeing the madness come out of Kojima's mind for better or for worse.

Yeah, that's my thoughts on MGS4 as well. I do get the complaints and see why some people really dislike it, but I just enjoy the ride.

edit: The Bombcast is already up? What the hell?

justjim89

I forgot how adorable and sympathetic Sunny is in this game.

I was really happy to see her in Rising, and much more well adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom