• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samurai Shodown has to be near the top, though I think SS2 was better. Honestly, SS2 could be the second greatest fighting game of all time, after one of the Street Fighter II variants.

I think the list would look something like Street Fighter II, Samurai Shodown 2, Soul Calibur.

Hoping for the Soul Edge over SoulCalibur upset.

Nah, Jason should own it. He's only a little younger than me, I have probably 17 years worth of terrible Internet content still out there somewhere between blogs and podcasts from when I was 20-21 and an idiot.

This day in age, it'll happen to everyone eventually and if everyone looks dumb, nobody looks dumb.

Heel

But come on, thinking the champion would get a jobber entrance? That's carny 101, brotha.

Smarten him up before it's too late, Dan. He killed the territory.

Mature

Jason/Dan, if you're reading this, please make Drew read the MGS4 manual. Please.

Here it is as a PDF.

It's very detailed, Drew will be into it.
Haha, I looked this up after seeing the stamina depleted and the stress level at max in the beginning of the vid.

This should at least be seen and understood (though this next act will explain it a bit more with the introduction of
Rosemary
)
AZ6gUU6.png

Also, Drew seemed like he was in his element the second he put the scope on the M4. I know it's not especially hard, but if that's your play style, then embrace it. Maybe he should approach every situation in the way he did The End fight— cautious, tenacious, and behind crosshairs.

Also, Drew seemed like he was in his element the second he put the scope on the M4. I know it's not especially hard, but if that's your play style, then embrace it. Maybe he should approach every situation in the way he did The End fight— cautious, tenacious, and behind crosshairs.

This whole time he's been in his groove. Maybe that's why episodes are shorter, because he's getting through the game faster. Before he'd spend like..30 minutes in one area getting caught and dying again and getting frustrated. Now he's actually doing a damn fine job. It may be shorter, but I bet Drews enjoying it alot more as well.

Mature

This whole time he's been in his groove. Maybe that's why episodes are shorter, because he's getting through the game faster. Before he'd spend like..30 minutes in one area getting caught and dying again and getting frustrated. Now he's actually doing a damn fine job. It may be shorter, but I bet Drews enjoying it alot more as well.
I think that's also in part a result of the areas being more segmented. There's already been a couple instances where he ran past his alert phase and escaped it thanks to entering a new area/engaging a cut scene. He wont get so lucky in Africa (probably) so i'll be eager to see how he handles it. I think the big open terrain suits him a bit more.

What Drew does with the scope is what Drew should have been doing with the tranq pistol for like, the whole game up to now. Just shoot dudes in the head while they're patrolling.

Also, Kotor II really doesn't try to hide its D&D inspiration, eh? It straight up talks about checks and rounds of combat and all that.

The crew never looked at Way of the Samurai 4 and the only user review is two stars.

Tsk tsk tsk!
I haven't played it yet :3

Hopefully that changes with the PC release.

What Drew does with the scope is what Drew should have been doing with the tranq pistol for like, the whole game up to now. Just shoot dudes in the head while they're patrolling.

Also, Kotor II really doesn't try to hide its D&D inspiration, eh? It straight up talks about checks and rounds of combat and all that.

KotOR 1 and 2 are (loosely) based on a Star Wars D20 adaptation, IIRC, which is basically D&D for other settings. The inspiration is very clear, as you say. The games' biggest change is that they're realtime, but both KotORs handled the transition well enough.

KotOR 3-9 abandoned D20 in favour of rope-a-dope DDR and hamster wheels.

I didn't know that Kotor 1/2 were based on D&D given how easy they are compared to the Infinity Engine games. I played both on hard and got by spamming force lightning, lol.

I spent like 6 hours playing KOTOR II last night, I think it's the most I've played a game since Bloodborne. I got a bit desperate at some point trying to find a game that clicks for me, glad to finally find one.

But tonight I have a bunch of Giant Bomb content to watch.

KotOR 1 and 2 are (loosely) based on a Star Wars D20 adaptation, IIRC, which is basically D&D for other settings. The inspiration is very clear, as you say. The games' biggest change is that they're realtime, but both KotORs handled the transition well enough.

KotOR 3-9 abandoned D20 in favour of rope-a-dope DDR and hamster wheels.

yeah i shoulda said D20 influences, not necessarily D&D I guess.

I spent like 6 hours playing KOTOR II last night, I think it's the most I've played a game since Bloodborne. I got a bit desperate at some point trying to find a game that clicks for me, glad to finally find one.

But tonight I have a bunch of Giant Bomb content to watch.

I just played a couple hours of it and it's pretty neat. I like that I can basically just play the entire game using only the mouse if I wanted to. Or so it seems.

I'm the same way with trying to get games to grab me. I've actually struggled to get myself to play the witcher recently, after about 34 hours of it. I really need to get myself back into it. I've just been playing a lot of Tf2.

I didn't know that Kotor 1/2 were based on D&D given how easy they are compared to the Infinity Engine games. I played both on hard and got by spamming force lightning, lol.

It's where the classes came from (particularly the Force-using ones), the level-up system, I want to say all of the skills/items/damage types, and, of course, the dice rolls seen in combat.

D&D's been a huge inspiration for RPGs, laying the foundations for a great many things.

hamchan

I'd like to think Kojima knew his mission briefing cutscenes were so boring that he included a bunch of other things to do and look at while you zone out watching it.

repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom