• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
dan doth protest too much about gal gun

guys what is this, im totally not into whatever this is, it looks like a weird game for weird dudes, not normal dudes like me, its not my thing at all definitely not oh god thats terrible *grimace* who would buy this, oh my god japan i knew you were weird but i didnt know you were that weird, this is worse than 30 year old dudes in business suits on skateboards

goes home and plays competitive gal gun on his burner account

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Though really, galgun shows the problem with games like that. Cute characters as a point of sale doesn't work when there's no character to speak of really. Unlike say, persona 4, where establishing depth in their characters allows atlus to sell their fanservice without much cynicism.

popo

This VV complaining reminds me of when Fridays shows sometimes didn't go up until Tuesday and you still had to ask if a show would be archived. We have come a long way baby.

Xater

God damn it Fobwashed....

2768498-jedigerstmann.gif

Jintor

Though really, galgun shows the problem with games like that. Cute characters as a point of sale doesn't work when there's no character to speak of really. Unlike say, persona 4, where establishing depth in their characters allows atlus to sell their fanservice without much cynicism.

it works, but on a much narrower audience, and that audience probably buys a lot of merch is my guess

Antiwhippy

It works but not too the extent of persona though, and persona fans buy a crazy amount of merchandise anyway.

Which is really what I meant that it's a more effective way of selling characters really. Cuteness and sex alone just don't amount to much without depth.

It works but not too the extent of persona though, and persona fans buy a crazy amount of merchandise anyway.

Which is really what I meant that it's a more effective way of selling characters really. Cuteness and sex alone just don't amount to much without depth.

I think you're asking these developers to put in effort for something that doesn't need it, they can put out these low effort creepy fanservice games and they'll sell.

demidar

I think you're asking these developers to put in effort for something that doesn't need it, they can put out these low effort creepy fanservice games and they'll sell.

It seems that consolidating your audience is much safer than trying to go big, at least for these niche Japanese devlopers.

Antiwhippy

They don't really sell that much. As jintor said, they sell to an incredibly small niche, but that niche is a constant source and they have such a low budget that they can recoup development. Basically how neptunia keeps getting developed. Plus the fact it reuses so many assets.

Jintor

They don't really sell that much. As jintor said, they sell to an incredibly small niche, but that niche is a constant source and they have such a low budget that they can recoup development. Basically how neptunia keeps getting developed. Plus the fact it reuses so many assets.

like if you watch media create, don't these games tend to go like 10k or less first week and then massive drop from there? hell that's probably overly optimistic

Sure they don't move huge amounts of units but I also bet these games don't cost a huge amount to make. Therefore they can sell small numbers but still continue to churn out these games to their dedicated audience who will routinely buy them. No point trying to improve your product in anyway when your only increasing development costs and potentially alienating that dedicated audience by changing stuff.

I laughed so hard at Drew blasting through the air on his bike, and then just landing at a complete stop on the ground.

Matt Hoffman looks like a bad game.

Moldiver

I put the race on and not much was happening so went and done something else...what have I missed?

Edit

BBC summary has filled me in....wish I had kept it on now.

There's no proper search function so you have to find him by manually searching for his videos. You have to go to Community Gallery -> Best Ever and look for videos from 2008. Press L2 to set the filter to videos only. Took me like a minute to find his It's Tricky footage.

The whole community stuff in Singstar completely blows. No search function nor fullscreen mode on videos.

Thanks for the help, I snagged all the stuff that I could see.

CK2N45lWwAEj-B9.png:large

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I laughed so hard at Drew blasting through the air on his bike, and then just landing at a complete stop on the ground.

Matt Hoffman looks like a bad game.

I remember hating it because it was so clearly just Tony Hawk with a bike model. Activision's own Tony Hawk ripoffs were the worst in the genre. Most of them were bad, but Dave Mirra, Aggressive Inline, and a few others were worth playing.

I always felt the driving in the original Smuggler's Run felt really good. The game just lacked interesting objectives.

They need to bring that shit back with DIRT 3's handling. I'm so sick of racing games that just let you race on a track and don't bother doing anything different. We need more shit like Stuntman or a dedicated cop chase game.

Jintor

i don't know why but dan getting the complete opposite of what the boxes do (to be fair jeff contributed slightly) in crash bash really annoyed me

maybe just suffering from too much heel dan

Myggen

i don't know why but dan getting the complete opposite of what the boxes do (to be fair jeff contributed slightly) in crash bash really annoyed me

Jeff didn't just contribute slightly to that confusion.

edit: Site is up again, no merger this time either!

DamnBoxes

I was impatiently waiting for at least one of them to figure it out.

Antiwhippy

Steamcommunity also down

What does it mean

It means that t̉͑̅̾ͦͩ͊͆̈ͦ́͜͝҉̳̯̺̬̭͓͙̭ḩ̸̶͙̗̝͇͕̳̗̘̙̼̙ͪ͗̌̏ͥ͡͠e̢͔̖̪̣̗̳̼̺̲̬̭̋ͤ̎͌̈́̌̚̚͢͡͠ ̢̢̛̫̝̱̬̤̩͇̫̖̠͓̰͇̬̣̪̲̅̑̉ͮ͊̊̆͒̆͆̏͒ͬ͌́ͨ̉͟͡t̵̴̨̰̭͍̝̥̝̖̣͍̘͔͖͔̥͇͊̈́̎̒̑͂ͣ͗ͧͩ̈́̽̓ͦ̃̾͟͜î͐̋̾̄̿́̀̏ͨ҉̺̼̥̺̫̦̖͔̯̰̳͡ͅm̛̤̞̪̠̟̈́̐͐̆ͥ̄͐̍̀ͫ̊̎̉͗͌͛͗͠e̡̗͕͔̠̜̞̮̥̣̘ͬ̒̑̈́͗ͤͥͣ̔̈͆ ̡͆̏̒͛̂ͤ̅̄̃͒̅ͫͥ̉̃̂̌̀͆͢҉͕̱̘͔h̸ͧ̍̈́̋̂͏̜͈͍̝͇̼̬̫̤͍͘͟ą̗̲̥͎̤̩̙̓͆͋͆ͩ̋͒͊ͣ̓ͪ̊̋ͬ͂̽ͪ́̚̕ͅs͌͆̑̉ͣ̔̂͗ͯ̇͊̄̓̌ͦ̾̓ͬ͂҉̡̢̥͖͓̞́ ̨ͣ̇ͪ̂́ͭ͏̘̯̗͍c̗̹͖̰̘̻̹͉̗͇͎̪ͫ̇̓̄̒͟͡o̧̅ͧ̍ͨ͆ͬͮͤ͒̇̿ͪ͂ͥ҉̵̵͙̘̞̟̘̠̹͓̱̱̬͉͢m̵̧̩̟̱̖̰̣͙̠͈̤̌̏̄͡͝ͅe̶̸̘̲̪̝̪̮̹̲͔̦̼̝͑̇ͣ̀̂ͨ̎͌͗͑ͤ͗̒ͫͨ̀͞.ͨ͂͑̚҉̴͓͔̜͓̬̘̖̞̤͎̙̤͓̹͉̹

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom