• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video game industry really is incredibly small. A buddy of mine who works for a publisher in London is currently out partying with Johnny V (Matt Pascual too). Both very cool & very upsetting. I want to party with Johnny V :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_npn4pmDN711ux943mo1_1280.jpg
GB's missing out

kinda bummed that the tembo quick look wasn't a west coast quick look

I guess what I'm saying is ain't no quick look like a west coast quick look cause a west coast quick look
don't usually have an air of suffocating negativity

Speaking of card games, are there any card games where its basically like the FF card minigames or gwent, but the entire game? By that, I mean you actually walk around cities and all that and you can just challenge people and collect cards and you win tournaments. Basically Pokemon, but with cards.

Lost Kingdom II by FromSoft

Haunted

Now that Austin Creed has called out Dan Ryckert on the Gootecks and Mike "Mike Ross" Ross adventures, we need a collab amongst all of them. Brad can play Dota 2 with Mike "I have almost 4000 games of Dota 2" Ross and Jason gets some lessons in Third Strike from Gootecks.

Megasoum

Banned
Just finished the Contradiction playdate... What a ride hahaha

Also, I just came back to the thread for the first time since yesterday.

Anybody made a gif of Jenks and Ryan running the field yet?

popo

What is the best way of embedding tweets on gaf? The way I do it is super convoluted - there has to be an easy way. thx

also. you've come a long way, baby.

man

dan ryckerts change throughout the last year has been remarkable. i remember his food stories from his first bombcasts. he made a complete u turn in that regard. well done, dan

YXZ_j9JzN6g2PB6SJaeVX6g6QmTdXn-XUU9yL7H-9hK-huqx7TqbzK3wVcXLWcCWiRj6arQ_sWiYU4s=w1656-h774

kinda bummed that the tembo quick look wasn't a west coast quick look

I guess what I'm saying is ain't no quick look like a west coast quick look cause a west coast quick look
don't usually have an air of suffocating negativity

You like the game I take it. Alex seemed fair on it given that it just wasn't doing much for him. If you start assigning games based on how a person feels about a game then it just gets messy.

If you want all cheerleading videos then I think youtube has you covered.

Megasoum

Banned
What is the best way of embedding tweets on gaf? The way I do it is super convoluted - there has to be an easy way. thx

also

YXZ_j9JzN6g2PB6SJaeVX6g6QmTdXn-XUU9yL7H-9hK-huqx7TqbzK3wVcXLWcCWiRj6arQ_sWiYU4s=w1656-h774

[tweet]627606133209853952[/tweet]

I use Greenshot to take a screenshot of a specific area (drag a box around it). I set greenshot to automatically upload the screenshot to imgur.

So basically I open the tweet in Chrome.
Hit Print Screen and drag a box around it
Wait 2-3 sec for the upload to complete
Hit reply on Gaf and click on the Image button
Paste the link (greenshot copy the imgur link automatically when it uploads)

Voilà.

Takes 2 sec to post screenshots

popo

The guy on the Japanese Green Beret/Rush n attack box art (recently posed by Jeff) looks alot like Ryckert.

2770383-green+beret.jpg

@Megasoum

thx, that looks easier, I will try it. Shame GAF doesn't auto parse them like some boards do.

f0rk

Drew is streaming Rising Thunder: http://www.twitch.tv/drewscanlon

I've played it a lot myself and I don't think it's that casualfriendly anymore. There's literally FADC'ing in the game.

Tbh I think saying you don't get fighting games cos you don't understand QCF or whatever is a weak excuse. For a start MK isn't like that and has been around forever. Really people just don't like / suck at 1v1 competitive games but are looking for other reasons to not like it besides the 'get gud' side of it.

Also if he has no experience this is going to be a really bad way of learning

Megasoum

Banned
@Megasoum

thx, that looks easier, I will try it. Shame GAF doesn't auto parse them like some boards do.

We had a [tweet] tag for like 5 hours at some point... It was fucking glorious but then it also overloaded the severs so they disabled it... Bummer

FluxWaveZ

Hm, Drew's playing the only character in the game with the "Hard" skill rating.

I've played it a lot myself and I don't think it's that casualfriendly anymore. There's literally FADC'ing in the game.

At some point, there's just so much that can be done to simplify a game without making it boring to play at a competitive level. People started complaining that Divekick wasn't casual friendly anymore because of special moves and more than 2 characters.

demidar

Tbh I think saying you don't get fighting games cos you don't understand QCF or whatever is a weak excuse. For a start MK isn't like that and has been around forever. Really people just don't like / suck at 1v1 competitive games but are looking for other reasons to not like it besides the 'get gud' side of it.

Also if he has no experience this is going to be a really bad way of learning

Lotta people think being able to do combos is how you get good at fighting games, and they spend 10s of hours learning combos in the training mode, but that's the worst way to go about it. You've gotta learn footsies, proper blocking, reading/anticipation, mind games and knowing when to go offensive and when to go defensive. You learn all that first because all the combos in the world won't help you if you can't even get a hit in.

If you have the fundamentals down, you can get away with just using a single normal to wreck your opponent (up to a skill level). But you can only learn these things from fighting real opponents, and most people don't like losing while they're learning the ropes.

daydream

Banned
curious to see what beast's new premium series alongside vinnyvania will be

is it gonna be kingdom hearts, blight club or something else? i would absolutely love to see vinny bang his head against an old sierra adventure game, tbh. exciting times!

Did Drew mention to Dan that The Hunt for Red October was directed by John McTiernan? Mother fucker who did Die Hard and Last Action Hero which they were just talking about on the latest MGScanlon?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
At some point, there's just so much that can be done to simplify a game without making it boring to play at a competitive level. People started complaining that Divekick wasn't casual friendly anymore because of special moves and more than 2 characters.
Yeah I guess, but after seeing some higher level play, combos with 2 FADCs in it are almost bread & butters for some characters. So the only thing that makes this game easier are the missing directional inputs for specials.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah I guess, but after seeing some higher level play, combos with 2 FADCs in it are almost bread & butters for some characters. So the only thing that makes this game easier are the missing directional inputs for specials.

I'll admit that the game's "Kinetic Advance" mechanic is the one thing that seemingly goes counter to its goal of making things more accessible.

Megasoum

Banned
Did Drew mention to Dan that The Hunt for Red October was directed by John McTiernan? Mother fucker who did Die Hard and Last Action Hero which they were just talking about on the latest MGScanlon?

No and Dan freaks out when he finds out during the opening credits lol.

I'm starting the movie right now. Haven't seen it in a long time. Fun night ahead!

Jintor

watching drew apply his standard flight sim learning to fighting games is pretty entertaining

they should do a proper series of this. teaching of fighters

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'll admit that the game's "Kinetic Advance" mechanic is the one thing that seemingly goes counter to its goal of making things more accessible.
The obligatory eight buttons are the other thing. That's more than any other fighting game I know.

demidar

A Kingdom Hearts playthrough would be great, simply from them trying to understand the story.

The story's pretty simple, at least in 1.

squadr0n

So glad they finished Contradiction but man was that ending a big let down, even though I completely understand why they went that route for the first game. There were so many great threads in that story that the game could have gone in any direction. Can't wait for the sequel, their performances were really good for being done on such a budget. Props for ending the story on a grounded and realistic note, even if I was expecting something different.

Jintor

The obligatory eight buttons are the other thing. That's more than any other fighting game I know.

yeah i actually think qc motions and dragon punches are easier inputs than having to think about more buttons. but i'm more experienced i guess

FluxWaveZ

yeah i actually think qc motions and dragon punches are easier inputs than having to think about more buttons. but i'm more experienced i guess

I agree that the number of buttons is also troublesome, but the extra 2 buttons come from throwing and Overdrive. If the game allowed macros, it could be reduced to a total of 6 buttons with things like 2 attack buttons for a throw or an Overdrive by pressing two special buttons at neutral.

Jintor

I agree that the number of buttons is also troublesome, but the extra 2 buttons come from throwing and Overdrive. If the game allowed macros, it could be reduced to a total of 6 buttons with things like 2 attack buttons for a throw or an Overdrive by pressing two special buttons at neutral.

I feel like hitting two buttons is my favoured way to go into throws/specials.

I liked Marvel 3's simplified system, in terms of controls anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom