• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Speaking of cats, is my cat fat? Took him in when I found him living in my backyard earlier this year and I've never had a cat so I have no idea if I've been feeding him too much or what.

No, he seems fine. You can track his weight by holding him while on the scales then subtracting your own weight.

We took a cat from my wife's parents because they were overfeeding her by leaving out a full bowl of food at all times, and just by feeding her properly she dropped from 17 pounds down to 14. 14 pounds is still fat, but not obese.

image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg

I hope everyone here bought a copy of Contradiction.

the super crisp screens and footage in the trailer makes me wonder WTF happened with the final game.

Obviously you got to compress it to keep the file size in check but why does it have a green tint everywhere in the final game?

edit.

ACTUALLY this is just something with the GB East footage after looking at other youtube lets plays.

This is what I get for buying and not playing the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the super crisp screens and footage in the trailer makes me wonder WTF happened with the final game.

Obviously you got to compress it to keep the file size in check but why does it have a green tint everywhere in the final game?

edit.

ACTUALLY this is just something with the GB East footage after looking at other youtube lets plays.

This is what I get for buying and not playing the game.
Are you talking about the questionable "night time" filter?

Chuck

Still without luck
Just curious, does most everyone agree that Contradiction is a bad game that is charming despite that fact?

The writing is just a disaster, isn't it. So man useless items that would make Tim Schafer cry. And the ending, what a tragedy.

Just curious, does most everyone agree that Contradiction is a bad game that is charming despite that fact?

The writing is just a disaster, isn't it. So man useless items that would make Tim Schafer cry. And the ending, what a tragedy.
no

I don't agree with that

rough edges sure

bad? nah

Real Hero

nah it's really charming. I don't think it's bad

Jintor

I wouldn't call it bad, but in these kinds of games, either the solution has to be a huge twist that nonetheless was seeded early and was entirely predictable if correctly interpreted, or cornering the perpetrator with evidence has to be an intense and ultimately triumphant experience, and this was neither

The moment to moment mysteries were sufficient, as you could tell because Alex and Austin were getting into it, and obviously all the stuff with the acting is great. But there was insufficient ultimate payoff

Falifax

Have you ever made a post that was not in a negative light?

Zaph

Contradiction accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do - an FMV adventure based on those comfort food ITV afternoon murder mysteries. It had everything - allusions to something far more sinister, plot threads that go nowhere, larger than life characters, super simple conclusion etc

Brb going to watch some Poirot

Chuck

Still without luck
Wrongsville has so many poppy seed pods

But we don't use them for anything

They're just in a box

Like, how?

Have you played other adventure games where the logic puzzles where a gazillion times more obtuse than this?
I'm not talking about the nonsense logic leaps from old Lucas or Sierra stuff. I'm talking about the basic system those games had where every item was used in some way. They weren't littered with garbage like Contradiction is.

They're just in a box

\m/

I really do like Contradiction though. I mean, it's obviously light on gameplay mechanics but I'd rather play it than countless other combine-random-items adventure games.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

They're just in a box

I'm not talking about the nonsense logic leaps from old Lucas or Sierra stuff. I'm talking about the basic system those games had where every item was used in some way. They weren't littered with garbage like Contradiction is.

I think that's fine really. Red herrings in a detective style game isn't necessarily bad, seeing that the main mechanic was trying to weed out the truth from an assortment of statements. Other than the red herring at the end none of it seemed all that egregious to me.

daydream

Banned
if the inventory items keep you on your toes and consistently make you consider their purpose, they're not at all useless in a game design sense

if every adventure game just had you pick up "relevant" clues that you know you'd have to use at some point, that sure would be be boring

it's way better than like 15 Sierra games I've played in my life

let's not get crazy here

in reality, contradiction is of a very different ilk and not really comparable

I think Contradiction is a good game. I also liked the ending and appreciated that it was simple and straightforward for a change. Was starting to grow tired of every story driven game trying to build to some crazy over the top ending.

let's not get crazy here

in reality, contradiction is of a very different ilk and not really comparable
I mean I agree but I don't particularly hold a lot of Sierra games in high regard

just in pure adventure game logic it's been WAAAAY worse across the general genre

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Broken Sword 1 is an adventure game everyone should play

then if you liked that you play 2

what you do after that is your own business.

daydream

Banned
I mean I agree but I don't particularly hold a lot of Sierra games in high regard

just in pure adventure game logic it's been WAAAAY worse across the general genre

sure, although i'd argue that the challenge of classic sierra games stems from the open-endedness of progression and the simultaneity of options involving a lot of different situations in different places

whereas in lucas games you could often tell (either cause it was obvious from the story progression or because the characters straight-up told you) what problem you're supposed to be working on, so you're basically just thinking about that one solution instead of keeping everything that is happening around you in mind and really internalising the rules of the world

obviously that ambition was often to the sierra games' detriment but i still have an infinite fondness for the uncompromising philosophy behind it

truth be told, i really like all kinds of adventure games so while my heart may stand a little closer to the sierra side, ultimately i enjoy all that stuff a whole lot

Contradiction, much like Deadly Premonition, is a narrative that at its core is actually really compelling and fun, and that lets you see the poorly-executed parts as endearing. (Not gonna touch DP's gameplay in this discussion because there's nothing endearing about fighting wall ladies but w/e)

Plus there's something to be said for a game where you can tell the people making it were having a lot of fun and pouring their hearts into it even if they know it's never gonna be amazing. There's not an ounce of pretension or cynicism in that game.

jgminto

Maaaaaaaan, The Swindle is such a disappointing game. It has some really cool elements but it's so rough and for apparently being a "rogue-like" there's actually zero reason to play it multiple times. Just start with nothing and play 99 poorly generated levels over and over again.
(Not gonna touch DP's gameplay in this discussion because there's nothing endearing about fighting wall ladies but w/e)
Just gotta use the Grecotch strategy.

Chuck

Still without luck
Maaaaaaaan, The Swindle is such a disappointing game. It has some really cool elements but it's so rough and for apparently being a "rogue-like" there's actually zero reason to play it multiple times. Just start with nothing and play 99 poorly generated levels over and over again.

Just gotta use the Grecotch strategy.

shouldn't you be asleep, mister...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My favourite part of demo derby is seeing all the stupid parts of the 90s that I wasn't able to comprehend because I was too young.

Curufinwe

No, most everyone do not agree with that.

popo

I don't think we need a Beastcast thread every week if it is going to be 90% Austin hate vs. Austin defence force.

The honeymoon is well and truly over. To be fair, Ryckert didn't even get 3 months before he was slated.

def sim

It's pretty cool that Drew is trying to understand fighting game fundamentals through Rising Thunder. I hope he keeps at it some more.

My favorite content is anything that lets Jeff explain a past period of time in the industry.

I actually really enjoy his stories of trying to organize his crap

and the fact that he has apparently held every game in existence in his hands over the previous week at any given time.

e: if you want some bad adventure game design, try on the Broken Sword or Gabriel Knight games

e2: the sequels, I mean, not the originals

Working my way though Contradiction playdate and I love how Rebecca has slowly gone from the chill "I dont take drugs" lady to having this weird condescending tone whenever she talks to Jenks.

Nice small touch.

Girl is hiding something I tell you!

I don't think we need a Beastcast thread every week if it is going to be 90% Austin hate vs. Austin defence force.

The honeymoon is well and truly over. To be fair, Ryckert didn't even get 3 months before he was slated.

You mean like how every single Bombcast thread will contain comments a long the lines of "Replace Drew with Jason" or "Dan's stupid"?

he's been good, just needs to calm down in his pretentious stuff.

Nope, I love his "pretentious stuff".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom