• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Drew play Rising Thunder as well as watching Ranking of Fighters is making me realise that I love fighting games but I should probably stop buying them. I'm unable to play them locally and attempting to play fighting games online is generally a pain in the ass that's no fun at all.

if for some reason you can't find help for the captcha, feel free to pm me

Will do, thanks.

Watching Drew play Rising Thunder as well as watching Ranking of Fighters is making me realise that I love fighting games but I should probably stop buying them. I'm unable to play them locally and attempting to play fighting games online is generally a pain in the ass that's no fun at all.

If youre sincerely interested in getting into a fighting game's online community you've got two things that really help:

1) stick with one character, stick with one game. Whenever a new SF game comes out I pretty much stick to Ryu until I've seen enough of the other players online to see how they're used and how to compete against them. In this example, it helps that a lot of Ryu's fundamentals carry over from game to game. If you were good with the character in SFII/SFII/SFIV odds are good that you'll be decent with him in a new fighting game, Scorpion/Subzero are similar franchise characters in the MK series who don't see dramatic shifts in their styles from game to game.

2) buy the game day one and get into the online scene immediately. Since almost everyone is a newb on day one, expert and newbie alike, it's a lot easier to learn the game when the playing field is the most even it'll ever been than picking up the game months later.

Fighting games tend to be the exception for me in regards to day one purchases because of the second reason. Just letting a month pass means a lot in so far as the meta game is concerned.

Xater

That main story has been done a billion times better in other games, and the side characters are just scraping at Whedeon-esque caricatures.

That combat is sooooo bad, like goddamn.

I said it would be a better game, not that it would be great. At least then you wouldn't have to deal with the war table stuff and the incredibly grindy side quests which amount to nothing interesting. Hearing that the next ME might have a similar setup is already making me sick.

If youre sincerely interested in getting into a fighting game's online community you've got two things that really help:

1) stick with one character, stick with one game. Whenever a new SF game comes out I pretty much stick to Ryu until I've seen enough of the other players online to see how they're used and how to compete against them. In this example, it helps that a lot of Ryu's fundamentals carry over from game to game. If you were good with the character in SFII/SFII/SFIV odds are good that you'll be decent with him in a new fighting game, Scorpion/Subzero are similar franchise characters in the MK series who don't see dramatic shifts in their styles from game to game.

2) buy the game day one and get into the online scene immediately. Since almost everyone is a newb on day one, expert and newbie alike, it's a lot easier to learn the game when the playing field is the most even it'll ever been than picking up the game months later.

Fighting games tend to be the exception for me in regards to day one purchases because of the second reason. Just letting a month pass means a lot in so far as the meta game is concerned.

I did this with P4 Ultimax, ended up actually learning a character and getting fairly decent at the game and had a great time. The problem for me becomes that if I want to get the most out of the online I need to ignore other games for like a month or two just to ensure that I can play the game before people move on and the only people left are either far better than me or far worse.

This hasn't ever really bothered me until Ultimax because I actually kind of ended up getting somewhere with that game and then by the time I was having fun online I had to move on to other stuff.

Scizzy

Is anyone else incredibly excited for the unannounced but surely upcoming QL of Rare Replay? I'm hoping against hope they have Jeff/Brad/Dan spend at least a few minutes with each game, which would be several hours of awesome content.

Is anyone else incredibly excited for the unannounced but surely upcoming QL of Rare Replay? I'm hoping against hope they have Jeff/Brad/Dan spend at least a few minutes with each game, which would be several hours of awesome content.

Will they play every game, do you think? Or just play a bit of the big ones and say "and there's Kameo too!" and call it a day.

Will they play every game, do you think? Or just play a bit of the big ones and say "and there's Kameo too!" and call it a day.

It needs to me a game room style QL or else it's a letdown. If jeff is willing to show us Venetian Blinds, be better give Grabbed by the Ghoulies some love.

Plus, it would be fun to see them play Kameo and PDZ since that was pre-GB and they don't have much in the way of footage for those games.

How did they handle the gameboy is Banjo for the XBLA version anyway?

Oh and the fact Grabbed by the Ghoulies got a proper HD remaster treatment as part of Rare Replay but Nuts and Bolts is just 360 Emulation is hilarious to me.

Xater

It needs to me a game room style QL or else it's a letdown. If jeff is willing to show us Venetian Blinds, be better give Grabbed by the Ghoulies some love.

Plus, it would be fun to see them play Kameo and PDZ since that was pre-GB and they don't have much in the way of footage for those games.

Not that it deserves any love.

They will just play RC Pro Am and mention the other games, which I would be fine with.

I agree, it does seem like the sort of release that warrants a look at all of the games.

Going back to PDZ must be so hard. It wasn't a great game to begin with and now it must really suck.

It looked great at launch and its online was ok but the single player was literally just me being lost and then following the in-game arrow to get me to the next part. Really not well done.

If it's a Jeff/Brad QL they will play RC Pro Am, Nuts & Bolts, and Viva Piñata and then make jokes about the N64 era games and call it a day

If Dan is involved it will be the pilot episode of Danjo Kadrewie.

Going back to PDZ must be so hard. It wasn't a great game to begin with and now it must really suck.

2077416-wallguy_screen.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
The only "good" looking thing about PDZ was all the shinny surfaces that made it look "next gen". Other than that it looked like an OG Xbox game uprezzed to HD.

Myggen

If it's a Jeff/Brad QL they will play RC Pro Am, Nuts & Bolts, and Viva Piñata and then make jokes about the N64 era games and call it a day

If Dan is involved it will be the pilot episode of Danjo Kadrewie.

Danjo Kadrewie is such a terrible idea for a feature. I'll watch Dan and Drew play almost any game, but a fucking collect-a-thon sounds like the worst kind of game to watch someone else play. I don't think they're serious about that feature, but still.

I played it for the first time when the XBL version of the first PD came out for whatever it unlocked

holy crap it's as bad as everyone said it was, if not worse

danm999

Danjo Kadrewie is such a terrible idea for a feature. I'll watch Dan and Drew play almost any game, but a fucking collect-a-thon sounds like the worst kind of game to watch someone else play. I don't think they're serious about that feature, but still.

Totally. Those games are amazing and I love them and that's not nostalgia talking I've played them recently, but they've got no narrative thrust most of the time and I needed to listen to podcasts while playing them.

And community frustration would just boil over and rip the site apart when Drew and Dan can't figure out the layout in Grunty Industries or lose to Canary Mary for the millionth time.

daydream

Banned
rare replay all games edition ql or BUST

also, that thing is half-seriously making me consider getting an xb1 but also not really

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'd absolutely watch a pair of them collect their way through banjo kazooie. I probably wouldn't be keen on watching dan and drew do it though.

Theres no shame in getting an XB1 solely to play ancient ass games on one machine. I bought mine since it came with an extra controller, a free game, and more importantly TMCC. Then, i bought ODST for $5 because i never played it and why not? And all of that was driven by the fact they announced backwards compatibility, so I was stoked at the notion of being able to play the 360 games I bought back in the day on the new machine, like Shadow Complex.

And with the Rare Replay and the Gears collection coming this month, i don't see myself really buying a legit XB1 game for a while. I'm pretty sure that the only XB1 game i've played so far is Massive Chalice and that was free through GwG and i've played like 3 minutes of it. So, come, buy yourself this nice retro gaming machine that happens to sometimes play something new!

Theres no shame in getting an XB1 solely to play ancient ass games on one machine.

my 360 is almost entirely dead so the rare replay and backwards compatibility are the most compelling things about the system to me, since I own a pc and ps4. no reason to not get a system that currently (or will) play some of the best games from last gen if you don't already have one. except money.

daydream

Banned
i already own like half of the games, though

we'll see how the bc thing works out, it sure would make my decision way easier if i could play my ~120 xbla games on that thing

Tucah

you speak so well

I'm with you there. Yes, it's a perfect name for such a feature but I have no interest in watching Dan and Drew collect puzzle pieces for hours and hours.

especially when there are more Metal Gear games to play. They can probably capture a PSP, right? Play some Acid!

I think we still need to know the status of Peace Walker HD before we talk about other series'.

For one, i would love to see PWHD with Drew, Dan, and +2 members of the crew trying to finish that game together. I could never get a coop crew for that game by the time I came around to it so I would be neat to see what 4 Snakes in the battlefield looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom