• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
The main reason I can't wait to see the Replay quicklook is to finally find out what they did with the N-I-N-T-E-N-D-O letters in RC Pro AM.

You all forgetting Giant Bomb is on the Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts defense force, unlike certain other popular Youtubers who are completely insufferable.

Good I hope its a 20 minute quick look and Jeff shits on everything while just scrolling over the game icons.

The salt will be glorious.

we all know how he feels about battletoads on the nes

but the battletoads arcade game is a legit good game.

but i have a feeling he'll still give it a turd out of ten when he plays it

Megasoum

Banned
I will be laughing so much if it ends up being a GB East quicklook haha

10368_100844_tn2mnightshyamalan3jpg_468x_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

- J - D -

Cant wait to see how long it takes Drew/Dan to get through the upcoming Naomi footprint tracking part of the game.

Think well get Raiden vs vamp fight this next episode?

Cant wait to see how long it takes Drew/Dan to get through the upcoming Naomi footprint tracking part of the game.

I'm willing to bet he'll get caught because of the sound the night vision makes and then act like the game never told him that can happen in that codec he wasn't listening to at the end of the last episode.

It always funny when Drew freaks out about getting caught.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
"So when people talk about combos, those are...ways...to hit a lot...in a row? I know that much"

I feel like it could be valuable for a lot of people to watch somebody like Drew. He's not incompetent, he's not an idiot, he has problem solving skills and has been playing video games actively pretty much since he was a child. And he still doesn't have a clue about the most fundamental concepts in fighting games. Some genres have such a high barrier of entry that even an "easy" version can be daunting for somebody who hasn't played earlier games inside and out. The same can be said for mobas, even the "simple" games like Heroes of the Storm can take hours and hours to gain basic competency.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
"So when people talk about combos, those are...ways...to hit a lot...in a row? I know that much"

I feel like it could be valuable for a lot of people to watch somebody like Drew. He's not incompetent, he's not an idiot, he has problem solving skills and has been playing video games actively pretty much since he was a child. And he still doesn't have a clue about the most fundamental concepts in fighting games. Some genres have such a high barrier of entry that even an "easy" version can be daunting for somebody who hasn't played earlier games inside and out. The same can be said for mobas, even the "simple" games like Heroes of the Storm can take hours and hours to gain basic competency.
Yep, it's crazy how basically no fighting game explains it, too. A combo is simply a series of hits that can't be interrupted and you can watch the hit-counter to see for yourself if you did one. I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned in a tutorial.

But Seth Killian and the Rising Thunder twitter accounts acutally retweeted his stream, atleast they are watching.

Yep, it's crazy how basically no fighting game explains it, too. A combo is simply a series of hits that can't be interrupted and you can watch the hit-counter to see for yourself if you did one. I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned in a tutorial.

But Seth Killian and the Rising Thunder twitter accounts acutally retweeted his stream, atleast they are watching.

Usually because combos are more of an advanced mechanic, something you wouldn't see in a lot of tutorials. KI's tutorial actually explains its combo mechanic very well, as does Skullgirls I think (its been a while since I played that).

Tutorials should teach players the fundamentals before they move to combos, since that's usually what the trials/challenges end up being. But I think a tutorial for what a combo is and how it works is important.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Usually because combos are more of an advanced mechanic, something you wouldn't see in a lot of tutorials. KI's tutorial actually explains its combo mechanic very well, as does Skullgirls I think (its been a while since I played that).

Tutorials should teach players the fundamentals before they move to combos, since that's usually what the trials/challenges end up being. But I think a tutorial for what a combo is and how it works is important.

The advanced tutorials are usually even worse. I remember the Street Fighter 4 tutorial was said to be great when it first came out, then I tried it and had no idea what the hell it was asking me to do or why I might be doing it for most of the trials.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
A simple cancel is a combo, every tutorial has atleast that in it. I'm not talking about 20 hit sequences here.
The advanced tutorials are usually even worse. I remember the Street Fighter 4 tutorial was said to be great when it first came out, then I tried it and had no idea what the hell it was asking me to do or why I might be doing it for most of the trials.
Trials aren't a tutorial, the combos often aren't even the ones people actually use. SF4 pretty much does not have one. Even after so many releases.

Curufinwe

Persona 4 Arena had a good Tutorial. Drew should play that or the sequel as a premium feature after MGS4, hehe.

A lot of sports games are like that. Getting good at Madden or Pro Evo would take dozens of hours.

Street Fighter 4's tutorial is straight garbage. Usually the best tutorials are online on youtube, but fighting game tutorials needs to be much better at teaching the player have the basics of how to play the game. Then moving on to important tech used by players like spacing, footsies, etc since you'll often run into that stuff when you play other people.

The Excellent Adventures SF5 beta tutorial with Gootecks, Mike Ross, and Xavier Woods is a great example of things that a fighting game should teach its players.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
A simple cancel is a combo, every tutorial has atleast that in it. I'm not talking about 20 hit sequences here.

Trials aren't a tutorial, the combos often aren't even the ones people actually usw. SF4 pretty much does not have one. Even after so many releases.

No, but fighting game tutorials have lived in such a dire state that the SF4 thing was being used to suggest new players could jump into the game and learn what they need by playing through it. I saw it enough times even long after release that I rented the game and realized I was speaking a different language from the people who thought it was a great tutorial.

No, but fighting game tutorials have lived in such a dire state that the SF4 thing was being used to suggest new players could jump into the game and learn what they need by playing through it. I saw it enough times even long after release that I rented the game and realized I was speaking a different language from the people who thought it was a great tutorial.

Yeah.

Like what the fuck is that Z-looking d-pad movement SF4 wants me to do on all these charge characters? How do I even do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom