• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

repeater

all the xbox 360 games required 750mb+ patches so they didn't do any. Kameo and PDZ are like the first memories I have of the 360 so it's too bad
I found this pretty surprising - don't they have super fast cable speeds in the office? Then again, from what we saw during the QL the install times on the Xbox did seem long-ish, so maybe it was more that.

Man, Igarashi is great.

This console exclusive debut stuff is getting really dumb, I could of sworn that Starbound was already announced for Sony platforms but the game is now coming to xbox first because of the early access program I guess?

This console exclusive debut stuff is getting really dumb, I could of sworn that Starbound was already announced for Sony platforms but the game is now coming to xbox first because of the early access program I guess?

fwiw, you'll probably want to wait until that one's done anyway

Digital version had the patches installed I assume as I was able to load up all of the 360 games without any hassle. Perfect Dark Zero feels like you're swimming through molasses, not sure whether that's just the game or the emulator. Reminded that it was really disappointing and linear compared to the first game. Think it holds up surprisingly well visually outside of the hilariously bad character models though.

That's not really a console exclusive debut in the way others are though. I'm sure it would be on the PS4 too if Sony had an early access program.

Also, UI's used to be so bad. Guess Kameo and PD0 are 10 years old though(wow!)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Something depressing about seeing the exclusive lineup banner and seeing Gears, Halo, and to a lesser degree, Forza.

Like come on man. It's a new generation. Gears feels ancient at this point. And yes, I do feel the same about Killzone and God of War.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Igarashi is great.

Could be worse

CLfVpVeWwAAqWgS.jpg:large

take that L, ouya

Also, i'm surprised that there are so many Prequel apologists on gaf. Must be an age thing, maybe you young kids just dont know any better

fwiw, you'll probably want to wait until that one's done anyway

It seems like you're better off waiting for that Terraria sequel thing to come out at this point, especially when it seems like general impressions of Starbound have been kind of tepid.

That's not really a console exclusive debut in the way others are though. I'm sure it would be on the PS4 too if Sony had an early access program.

It just struck me as a really dumb point in the race for platform exclusivity, parading an unfinished potentially buggy game as some big deal is just bizzare.

Don't think it was paraded or made out to be a huge deal. It was what, 10 seconds long? Big, popular title for their new early access program.

Don't think it was paraded or made out to be a huge deal. It was what, 10 seconds long? Big, popular title for their new early access program.

Sure it wasn't like they made a massive deal about it but they're clearly flagging this stuff as console exclusive debut to attract people to their platform and early access titles strike me as an odd thing to push for your console.

It also doesn't help that the game your promoting is Starbound.

daydream

Banned
Sure it wasn't like they made a massive deal about it but they're clearly flagging this stuff as console exclusive debut to attract people to their platform and early access titles strike me as an odd thing to push for your console.

starbound wasn't the only game they touted that way

promoting console exclusivity for an unfinished game is just insane but also very symptomatic, i suppose

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Something depressing about seeing the exclusive lineup banner and seeing Gears, Halo, and to a lesser degree, Forza.

Like come on man. It's a new generation. Gears feels ancient at this point. And yes, I do feel the same about Killzone and God of War.

I laughed so hard at their lineup for this year's "best lineup ever". Next year's might be interesting, but I don't think there was one 2015 game on that slide that you could pay me to play.

Early access is something people are clearly interested in at this point as can be seen by its massive success on the PC. It's an interesting program that Sony, as of now, has no comparison to.

And Starbound has mostly positive press and user impressions. It doesn't get updates all that often, but what is there is generally well received and huge in scale. The only thing people complain about is frequent save wipes.

starbound wasn't the only game they touted that way

promoting console exclusivity for an unfinished game is just insane but also very symptomatic, i suppose

It certainly wasn't the only game but it sticks out to me because it's not had the best history with it's PC early access. I'm sure this whole thing will stop being weird to me as time goes on, but right now I find it kind of crazy.

Early access is something people are clearly interested in at this point as can be seen by its massive success on the PC. It's an interesting program that Sony, as of now, has no comparison to.

And Starbound has mostly positive press and user impressions. It doesn't get updates all that often, but what is there is generally well received and huge in scale. The only thing people complain about is frequent save wipes.

I'm not doubting that people are interested in early access as numerous early access games have done incredibly well, but it's a slippery slope. Hopefully Sony doesn't do something similar considering they're already raking in the indies, but I won't be surprised if they did offer something.

My point with Starbound wasn't in reference to the quality of the game but how it's early access was run, if people are wondering if your early access game has been abandoned then you're doing a poor job.

My point with Starbound wasn't in reference to the quality of the game but how it's early access was run, if people are wondering if your early access game has been abandoned then you're doing a poor job.
If people were actually interested they'd pay attention and realize things are fine. But the problem is they don't actually care and just want to express worry for god knows why. Starbound gets much more frequent updates via the beta branch and constant updates on its development status via the developer website.

The only problem with early access is it has shown that people don't understand that making games takes time.

Halo Wars 2 is totally going to be a F2P moba isnt it?

that would be something.

I'd imagine that it wouldn't be, though, because then that means that the only major Halo release for 2016 being a f2p poopba which i can't see happening.

edit: though i guess that Halo: Spartan Assault being the only halo game out on 2013 might go against my argument

there's been a halo release annually since 2007, a year that saw both Halo Wars and ODST come out. the halo series being milked like this kinda snuck up on me.

Lijik

Im finishing up the conference talkover and please tell me Jeff losing it at the Halo Wars 2 reveal is on youtube already

What in the lord is this Halo thing, not only is the commentary incredibly stupid but this gameplay is really dull as well. Jeff's reaction is absolutely perfect.

I think sports commentary is goofy all on its own so I will never get used to esports silliness. Not that games like Starcraft or Halo or whatever aren't involved or exciting enough to be able to support it but it just seems so ridiculous. Loud emoting in general doesn't do it for me though.

Kameo's controls are real clunky at times. You can't transform into a different form on an incline for one. And picking up an enemy to throw them keeps you stuck in the aiming mode after you finish.

HoodWinked

anyone have any info on pax prime panel? if there is even one or not. i checked their forums and only thing is the pre pax party thingy.

Myggen

anyone have any info on pax prime panel? if there is even one or not. i checked their forums and only thing is the pre pax party thingy.

There'll be a panel as always, and the GBEast crew talked about recording a Beastcast episode live at PAX so that's probably another panel. There'll also be a GSxGB panel of some kind. Details when the schedule is released.

yeah, dude

that mario guy is a fucking dinosaur

At the ending of the show they had Phil talk about how MS was investing more into first party development and IP and Bonny Ross from 343 had a announcement and I totally had a "holy shit. They are going to let a team at 343i take a crack at a new IP. Thats amazing.". And then its Halo Wars 2 and thats great in its own dumb way but man.... It would be great if MS let some of its major teams take a crack at something new. A TLOU type move somewhere at 343 or Turn 10 or Lionhead would be great.

At least you can bank on Rare to toss new ideas out there.

yeah, dude

that mario guy is a fucking dinosaur

Mario is certainly a bit more timeless than Marcus Fenix, Fable Man, Lara Croft 2.0 (Headshot! +10XP! but now I'm sad) and a car - and I say that as someone who can't stand Nintendo properties at this point.

At least you can bank on Rare to toss new ideas out there.

Fuck that, give me Nuts & Bolts 2 motherfucker! I want my fucking flying boat car gunship hover thing to rise from the ashes and wreak terror upon various vehicle challenges once again!

daydream

Banned
i think battletoads totally fine, certainly not my brawler of choice, but ms latching on to this thing is super weird

as a popular entity, i would argue that it was barely above meme status, and now they're trying to turn it into some kind of ms mascot

like, nobody paused and said, "hey, maybe we should create a great original game that would have a character with some figurehead qualities that would represent us going forward"

even sony who had a similar problem gave it an honest shot with sackboy, and given the quality of their first party output, you'd think ms would have an even easier time launching a similar project and actually earn their mascot by way of a quality title

I wouldn't mind Battletoads being a Microsoft mascot but only if it's the Peggle 2 announcement guy making all the Microsoft related Battletoads announcement.

BATTLETOADS. H-DEEEEEE! *Ode to Joy*

BATTLETOADS 2k16! *Ode to Joy, again*

BATTLE OF TOADS! *Ode to Joy, but dubstep*

TOADS OF BATTLE! *Ode to Joy over shots of frogs with guns hiding behind chest high walls as a war takes place*

BATTLETOAD! KART! RACING! *Ode to Joy, but vroom vroom noises*

BATTLETOADS! THE MOVIE! *Ode to Joy, but with Inception THOWWWMMMs intermixed*

BATTLETOADS! MEET THE MINIONS! THE MOVIE! *Ode to Joy but backwards and at .25 speed*

i think battletoads totally fine, certainly not my brawler of choice, but ms latching on to this thing is super weird

as a popular entity, i would argue that it was barely above meme status, and now they're trying to turn it into some kind of ms mascot

like, nobody paused and said, "hey, maybe we should create a great original game that would have a character with some figurehead qualities that would represent us going forward"

even sony who had a similar problem gave it an honest shot with sackboy, and given the quality of their first party output, you'd think ms would have an even easier time launching a similar project and actually earn their mascot by way of a quality title

Microsoft's mascot is a focus tester snorting cocaine.

daydream

Banned
bombcast thread

ren and i are taking a break and will be back around september-october so keep that in mind for the next couple of weeks

i'll probably post a list of all the ops we've done so far just to have it all available in one place cause why not

meanwhile, in the words of the immortal jenks: "thank you, probably be back later"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom