• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubobutts

They didn't read my email on the Bombcast :(

I'm 1 for 15 for emails getting read, and the one I had was in the Ryan era.

These are the things Brad enjoys reading about:

Spiders that live in your eyes, spiders that live in your ears, Turkey basters of alcohol, and Dan being a crazy person.

Using some of these techniques I have had three (3) emails read by Brad.

daydream

Banned
shame my favourite rare joint never had a chance to make the cut

mickey's speedway usa, love that game

the collection seems really cool otherwise, pretty much my only nitpick is something jeff and brad went into, namely lack of in-game info/how to play section for every game. if i had the funds and the will to pull the trigger now, i'd probably pick xb1 over ps4 for that collection since indie stuff is pretty much a toss-up (maybe slight nod to ps4)

I keep wanting to be on one of the podcast emails until I realize that I have no good topics. I think I use up all my creativity at work.

justjim89

With Big Boss vs. Solid Snake, it's not really a fair comparison because Kojima at a certain point turned a corner on Solid Snake. He made him all old and silly looking while simultaneously giving himself an out to never put Snake in a game again what with the whole advanced aging bioweapon thing.

I really want MGSV to end with Solid Snake on Operation Intrude N313, but I wouldn't bet on it.

daydream

Banned
I will never own an Xone because it will never have bloodborne and persona 5.

i changed my mind i'm set for life now

XSNEFmv.png

Anjin M

I stopped sending email to the Bombcast because I can't handle the rejection. The arc always goes like:

• Send email to cast.
  • Oh, maybe I didn't send it in time.
  • Not this week either? Maybe they got too many.
  • Still didn't read it. I should probably assume they aren't going to read it.
  • I should have listened to myself last week.
  • (months pass)
  • Didn't make it onto the year end email show either. Bummer.

And that's how you ruin several weeks of Bombcasts due to anxiety.

justjim89

Solid Snake: I'm no hero. Never was. I'm just an old killer... hired to do some wet work.

The best heroes don't think they're heroes. Solid Snake is an artificial human being manufactured as a weapon who somehow managed to end up with more humor and personality about him than Big Boss, who is just a dude. And with Kiefer doing his best Gordon Freeman in MGSV I don't see him turning into Mr. Personality.

erawsd

Well, let's see.

Big Boss was in Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops,
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Solid Snake was in Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Big Boss was in 8 Metal Gear games, whereas Solid Snake was in only 5. I guess that means Metal Gear is Big Boss' story. So Big Boss is cooler, right? Right!? Depending on when TPP takes place, perhaps a young Solid Snake will appear. Though that would be cool, Big Boss would still easily have more appearances.

Well.. If we're including Portable OPs then you should also probably toss in Babel Ghost and Metal Gear Acid, which would even them up if Solid Snake shows up in PP. Regardless, Metal gear is Big Boss' story and he's a thousand times cooler than Solid Snake.

See, I thought this was the conventional wisdom on this but it looks like you and me are in the minority.
One touch I actually like about MGS4 is a kind of metareference where Otacon mentions that ever since "Big Boss's file got declassified" (wink wink) everyone is remembering Big Boss's exploits and legendary CQC, yet Snake clearly fucking hates all this because half of his story in MG2 and MGS1 is how Big Boss's betrayal and death traumatized and haunt him

One touch I actually like about MGS4 is a kind of metareference where Otacon mentions that ever since "Big Boss's file got declassified" (wink wink) everyone is remembering Big Boss's exploits and legendary CQC, yet Snake clearly fucking hates all this because half of his story in MG2 and MGS1 is how Big Boss's betrayal and death traumatized and haunt him

I really did not appreciate (MGS4 ending spoiler)
How Big Boss just had to hijack the ending of Snake's last game and make it all about him. Dick.

Scizzy

Kojima has never figured out that the end of MGS3 told us everything we ever needed to know about Big Boss over the course of a few scenes. Everything since then just keeps telling us stuff we already know and tries to get around that by substituting needless complications and shock value for emotion.

justjim89

Kojima has never figured out that the end of MGS3 told us everything we ever needed to know about Big Boss over the course of a few scenes. Everything since then just keeps telling us stuff we already know and tries to get around that by substituting needless complications and shock value for emotion.

Hey, did you know Big Boss became disillusioned with the American government after they manipulated him into killing his mentor and lover for political gain? Did you know the only place he feels alive is on the battlefield, and instead of isolating himself from civilization because that's a problematic fucking addiction like Snake he instead wants to get everyone else on his team and keep war perpetually going?

repeater

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into Timeclickers, Timeclickers also gazes into you."

hKWA2Ol.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I'm just going to ask this and I feel disgusted with myself for asking, but it's free money on the table. We know how Battletoads is with memes. We know how gross corporations are with memes.

How long before KI gets a Pepe skin for Rash?

erawsd

Hey, did you know Big Boss became disillusioned with the American government after they manipulated him into killing his mentor and lover for political gain? Did you know the only place he feels alive is on the battlefield, and instead of isolating himself from civilization because that's a problematic fucking addiction like Snake he instead wants to get everyone else on his team and keep war perpetually going?

Was she actually his lover? I know that they loved each other but I've always seen it as more platonic and not that they were actually "doin it".

I stopped sending email to the Bombcast because I can't handle the rejection. The arc always goes like:

• Send email to cast.
  • (months pass)

That's how I am sending résumé to companies.

justjim89

• Send email to cast.
  • (months pass)

I feel you man. For me, add in a step where you wonder, "Was it a bad question? Did he just not see it? Should I send in a repeat question and hope he sees it or will Brad just get mad and ignore my emails forever?"

Was she actually his lover? I know that they loved each other but I've always seen it as more platonic and not that they were actually "doin it".

I always saw it as they were physically intimate, but their relationship resonated so deeply that such surface-level stuff was practically incidental. I mean, look how resistant Big Boss is to Eva's touch and seduction. I always saw that as him remaining physically loyal to The Boss even though he no longer could politically or ideologically.

erawsd

I always saw it as they were physically intimate, but their relationship resonated so deeply that such surface-level stuff was practically incidental. I mean, look how resistant Big Boss is to Eva's touch and seduction. I always saw that as him remaining physically loyal to The Boss even though he no longer could politically or ideologically.

Goggling around I suppose Kojima says that they were. Its also noted that she takes him on as her apprentice when hes only 15 and Kojima describes their bond as maternal... which makes it all kinda creepy, but its Metal gear so I'm not surprised.

Goggling around I suppose Kojima says that they were. Its also noted that she takes him on as her apprentice when hes only 15 and Kojima describes their bond as maternal... which makes it all kinda creepy, but its Metal gear so I'm not surprised.

Put your goggles back on! It is implied that their relationship was non-sexual and that has always been my understanding.

I mean, having an oedipal relationship isn't really that farfetched.

That's because he's too dim witted to come up with any ideas of his own.

Because Snake doesn't think. He's a pawn, just told to do things by other people. He has no vision.
The entirety of MGS2 is Snake being a factor nobody counted on because he doesn't follow anybody's orders, because Philanthropy, his idea that you have a responsibility as to what you pass on, is his vision.

Big Boss's vision was saving child soldiers to turn into killing machines in a permanent warzone because his legendary title was the result of him being duped by everyone, then he was duped again, then a third time, and finally he duped his goddamned self. May his unmarked grave be salted.

When Snake killed his parental figure, he never wanted to hurt anyone again even when he was literally created to do so. When Big Boss killed his, he threw a giant war crimes tantrum when he realized that even The Boss wanted something more than fighting.

Noaloha

A recent MBMBaM episode (or was it Adventure Zone?) keyed me in that GB are attending the LA Podfest show this year, where I assume they'll have a slot on the weekend's livestream. The stream seems to be pay-to-watch. I'm guessing that the charge isn't bypassed via being a GB premium member? Kinda tempted to toss out the $25 anyway just to watch live Adventure Zone, but the sensible sixteenth of my brain mutters "no you idiot, that's an outrageous price" whenever I entertain the notion.

A recent MBMBaM episode (or was it Adventure Zone?) keyed me in that GB are attending the LA Podfest show this year, where I assume they'll have a slot on the weekend's livestream. The stream seems to be pay-to-watch. I'm guessing that the charge isn't bypassed via being a GB premium member? Kinda tempted to toss out the $25 anyway just to watch live Adventure Zone, but the sensible sixteenth of my brain mutters "no you idiot, that's an outrageous price" whenever I entertain the notion.

It was mentioned in the podcast that they'd be going.

tchocky

Anonymous:What's up with that podcast festival?

Jeff: I’m not actually sure. We mentioned it on the podcast this week, but apparently there’s still some paperwork to be handled. So I think we’re doing that thing? But it’s not set in stone yet?

Noaloha

I see, thanks, haven't caught up with the podcast yet.

Pretty sure it was last week's MBMBaM that mentioned GB attending (so 8, 9 days ago) but I forgot to get around to posting about it here. I like the idea (moreso the 'real' podcast environment than a longtable-on-a-stage) and I actually would love for them to occasionally just do podcast-in-video-form as an additional format. Can't say why I like watching them simply sat around a table talking into mics with someone sat in front of a wall of buttons, but I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom