• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either I've gotten very lucky so far in the Witcher 3, or the decisions in the game are incredibly well crafted. It seems like it's nearly impossible to make a "wrong" decision, in the sense that it never feels like the game has punished you for making a certain choice. There are very few outcomes, at least in my experience, that seem less fleshed out as if they're the wrong choice.

Everything I've done so far feels like the right thing, and tonight while playing I looked up a couple of quests because there were some difficult choices to be made, and both times both options were viable.

So, credit to CDPR on that front. They've managed to do that without making it seem like your decisions have no impact on the world. They might not have an impact on the world, but it really helps you understand a character if you spend 100 hours making choices with them. Each player's Geralt is a different person in pretty much every aspect. It's such a customizable game. The more thought you put into it, the more you realize how much of brilliant game it is.

I'm going to be really disappointed if/when it comes up short in GB's GOTY considerations simply because nobody really (understandably) had the time to delve into it to the level needed to fully enjoy it. I have to go back and listen to some podcasts from May to see their feelings on it around release, but every time they mention it recently their reaction just seems so tepid.

I'm not saying that it's a game you can't "get" because it's too deep or something, but you really have to let it suck you in. I'm probably half-way through the main story at this point with 47 hours played.

So far it's my GOTY for sure, and it's probably got a couple of my top "moments" as well. You don't arrive in Skellige with the flourish that Read Dead Redemption gives to Mexico, but I feel like it's a comparable tonal shift. That may be more of a personal thing, too, because I spent so much goddamn time in Novigrad that getting to this new, beautiful region was a breath of fresh air. The background music is great, the scenery is fantastic, and it's like CDPR looked at the land of Skyrim and said "we can totally do that better."

repeater

Oh also, I'm surprised no one has discussed the biggest news from the Xbox Gamescom Stream

Jeff is going to go back and replay Bloodborne from the start.
Why not make a Premium feature out of it: "Breaking Brettborne"?

strafer

I wonder if Jeff liked the new Dre album.

64ZGn3O.png

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Oh also, I'm surprised no one has discussed the biggest news from the Xbox Gamescom Stream

Jeff is going to go back and replay Bloodborne from the start.
Why not make a Premium feature out of it: "Breaking Brettborne"?

Did he commit to that? I thought he just said if he went back, he would have to start over.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure Jeff will finish it, love it despite everything he said and become an eternal defender of the Souls franchise.

Teddified

I thought mostly what he said was that instead of playing Dark Souls 3 he would rather go back to Bloodborne and beat it, and that he'd have to start over since it's been so long.

erawsd

Yeah that last mailbag was inexcusable. Guy should be ashamed. Him AND his youtube channel.

Yeah, its not even funny and I doubt its fun for them to have to deal with that trash once its over. I can't speak for CBS but at my office getting rid of old monitors and cases is a pain.

Either I've gotten very lucky so far in the Witcher 3, or the decisions in the game are incredibly well crafted. It seems like it's nearly impossible to make a "wrong" decision, in the sense that it never feels like the game has punished you for making a certain choice. There are very few outcomes, at least in my experience, that seem less fleshed out as if they're the wrong choice.

Absolutely, CDPR is really in a league of their own when it comes to the gray morality and giving players rational choices that a real person would make. There are a few cases where you are kinda punished but those are usually times where you've chosen "I don't care" type responses. I also love how subtle the impact often is. As far as GB is concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if the game doesn't even make the top ten. Its such a long game and going back to it months later is not easy.

Volotaire

The last mailbag wasn't that bad. I just watched it. There were treasures in the junk chest to be found. I do agree it's a bit silly to send pieces of rubbish.

I hope GB take a look at INK. I just played and reviewed it... and liked it.

72UkDXA.gif

Vinny (GBE) has taken a look at smaller games in the past - and quite liked them.

Curufinwe

I thought mostly what he said was that instead of playing Dark Souls 3 he would rather go back to Bloodborne and beat it, and that he'd have to start over since it's been so long.

Starting over would just be another way of him putting off fighting Rom. What he should do is co-op the boss battle he's stuck on and move on. Starting over would not solve his problem.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I've been watching the dev on twitter for a while, great game maker tutorial guy
I'm pretty confused right now. Are there two games like this that look exactly the same? Becaue I followed someone else for a while and the game he made looked the same but it's not this!?

edit: I guess it's true, I was talking about this game: http://ditto.itch.io/dagdrom

I can't believe someone thought that a 3 minute trailer of an emotional father hugging a brat of a son would be a great way to get fans hyped for the latest final fantasy

I just cant

Then there was the panel that consisted of basically nothing and then like 30 seconds of new gameplay and now they're in talks with Avalanche about using Just Cause 3 tech for FF15, they also kind of recently announced that they're were bringing in a new writer. It's a complete mess, KH3 is probably going to be out before that game.

I asked in the FFXV is on fire thread for a list of what I missed. Got directed to this:

Reworked ATR summary:

• We redesigned Regis. No reasons given.
  • Airships? We're behind and still working on it, maybe as DLC.
  • We're nowhere near done. (they didn't say this per se, but it's obvious looking at the state of things)
  • We can't announce a release window, even if we do have one.
  • Important questions about black bars and cosplay.
  • The prologue of the game has changed!
  • Luna is a strong female character even though nothing we've shown supports that.
  • The girl with black hair? We haven't named her yet.
  • Main baddie? Who knows.
  • Stay tuned for PAX when we'll show the same trailer.
  • Feedback forum! Not ready yet.
  • New stuff at TGS and working on a new demo.
  • Malboro fight with a bunch of seconds of gameplay and a brief stroll through some new landscapes.
  • Product placement for german beer.

I mean i shit on Persona for more than likely being a 2016 game but FFXV was supposed to be a 2016 game and that has all of the appearances of being a game for the playtendobox 2058

If they'd just switched it to UE4 like they did with KH3 then they would probably be well on track for 2016, but they're sticking with their own engine which sounds like nothing more than a hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom