• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had time to watch basically any Giant Bomb anything this week. I just caught up on Gamescom and I'm skimming through the Rare Replay QL. Anything else worth watching?

Saty

Too bad that this is the worst Metal Gear Solid game and the worst Metal Gear Scanlon season. I feel pretty safe saying this since my entire experience with MGS games is confined to this premium content. It might be that Drew's escalating gung-ho approach is making MGS4 suffer more than the rest, but not enough to change the bottom line.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually enjoy drew going more "fuck this" rambo style.

Though I also enjoyed his perpetual suffering in failing stealth segments.

Too bad that this is the worst Metal Gear Solid game and the worst Metal Gear Scanlon season. I feel pretty safe saying this since my entire experience with MGS games is confined to this premium content. It might be that Drew's escalating gung-ho approach is making MGS4 suffer more than the rest, but not enough to change the bottom line.

I'd say this season of Metal Gear Scanlon has been better than last and maybe even 2, the fact that the game actually clicked for Drew which is resulting in him having a less frustrating time has meant that there are less episodes of them just stuck in one zone for almost an hour.

I watched that stream to finally get an idea what it's about and for 90% of the (awful) presentation I did not get that info. But that last demo was pretty amazing, that's what they should show all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZtEEAdEihg

Oh definitely, the presentation was pretty atrocious, but not the demo. The video you linked is what I hope the GB guys watched, and I think it was really impressive. Some of it warrants explanation, though, like the unified first/third person cameras which as of right now makes the players look pretty janky.

This has been the most enjoyable season of Metal Gear Scanlon for me. The only thing I'm not into is how short the episodes have been, but they've been getting them out more frequently so I'm fine with that.

Megasoum

Banned
Read bottom to top

M5N6m9y.png

It's been better because no one can argue that going Rambo in mgs4 isn't a valid strategy. In the other games, you're pretty much asking to be annoyed and frustrated with that approach. But mgs4 has only a couple of sections where you're force to be stealthier than usual.

There will likely only be one Strut F moment here and that's the very beginning of act 5

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys, how's the PC Port of Ground Zeroes?

I have it on PS4 but I'm not sure where I want to buy MGS5 yet... I imagine I could get it for cheaper on PC but PC Gaming is often a pain these days.

Saty

I'd say this season of Metal Gear Scanlon has been better than last and maybe even 2, the fact that the game actually clicked for Drew which is resulting in him having a less frustrating time has meant that there are less episodes of them just stuck in one zone for almost an hour.

Those were good moments. He actually tried to be stealthy at times and gave some thought to encounters, such as the fights were he de-equipped everything and went over the weapons list one by one to see what might be a good fit.

Here, he's just blasting through areas in what is a pretty boring and one-note of way. It doesn't make for too good watching material. Here and there you get a funny occurrence thanks to ragdolling. I bet Drew is liking it because he's making progress relatively easily -- he's always been way too worried about getting stuck in the same place or taking lots of time because that won't make for a good video feature. But the way the game is played right now doesn't make for a good watch.

Part of it is the game's fault. When you make it easy to gun people down then they'll do just that. I really don't get why MGS4 hands you a super-weapon that nullifies most of the other mechanics.
I always said a good stealth\sneaking game isn't one that accommodates such a a play-style. A proper stealth game makes it so that stealth is the only viable method of operations, not one of many alternatives. And from what i've seen MGS4 doesn't only make non-stealth viable, it makes it way easier, penalty-less and largely preferable.

You as a player can choose to tackle situations stealthily -- it isn't a necessity or it isn't really encouraged (no matter how many times they remind you it's a sneaking mission on the codec). Usually games that offer these two approaches end up being not-too-good of a stealth game and not-too-good of an action game.

I have it on PS4 but I'm not sure where I want to buy MGS5 yet... I imagine I could get it for cheaper on PC but PC Gaming is often a pain these days.

I actually just played through that version this morning. Running on a GTX760. Ran perfectly at 1080p on high settings with no noticeable framerate drops except a slight hitch during an autosave.

It's a great port, and they've said Phantom Pain will have even more settings.

Also, I don't know what you mean. PC gaming is easier than it has ever been.

daydream

Banned
the game "not clicking" with drew always led to actual reactions, though. the series already suffers from a huge lack of entertainment value in the sense that it barely differs from the experience of watching a playthrough on yt. the only thing we're getting on top are some drew quips here and there which is hardly worth the 'air time' of four complete game playthroughs. without taking any preferences into account, one episode of mpp has more genuine highlights than the entirety of the mgs feature which, as a whole, i find has turned out very forgettable. i remember that one time that missile turned back on drew and past that i'd have to think harder to come up with something. again, not talking about the actual games (which is another topic altogether) but the thing gb are "adding" which is what i come to the site for.

anyway, i know i'm just whistling in the wind here so never mind me

Megasoum

Banned
It's a great port, and they've said Phantom Pain will have even more settings.

Also, I don't know what you mean. PC gaming is easier than it has ever been.

I still can't get a playable framerate in Batman on PC but I finished it almost 100% on PS4 without any issues.

That's just the latest example.

As I'm getting older I have less and less patience for all the bullshit associated with PC Gaming. Sure when it works it's great. Looks better, better performance and cheaper... The problem is that most big games that comes out on PC nowadays are fucked.

tuxfool

Banned
As I'm getting older I have less and less patience for all the bullshit associated with PC Gaming. Sure when it works it's great. Looks better, better performance and cheaper... The problem is that most big games that comes out on PC nowadays are fucked.

This is a BS answer. There are valid reasons, but the underlined reads like platform warrior nonsense.

I still can't get a playable framerate in Batman on PC but I finished it almost 100% on PS4 without any issues.

That's just the latest example.

Your example is Batman? Most big games are fine, and run significantly better than the console versions on even mid-range hardware. Batman is a far, far outlier.

the game "not clicking" with drew always led to actual reactions, though. the series already suffers from a huge lack of entertainment value in the sense that it barely differs from the experience of watching a playthrough on yt. the only thing we're getting on top are some drew quips here and there which is hardly worth the 'air time' of four complete game playthroughs. without taking any preferences into account, one episode of mpp has more genuine highlights than the entirety of the mgs feature which, as a whole, i find has turned out very forgettable. i remember that one time that missile turned back on drew and past that i'd have to think harder to come up with something. again, not talking about the actual games (which is another topic altogether) but the thing gb are "adding" which is what i come to the site for.

anyway, i know i'm just whistling in the wind here so never mind me

I'll agree that when Drew was having a difficult time it lead to more reactions, but watching Drew get frustrated to the point where it seems like he doesn't even want to continue playing isn't particularly entertaining to me. I've still only seen like 3 episode of MGS3 because he just seemed to be so frustrated with that game that it never held my attention. Him blowing through the gameplay in MGS4 at least results in him getting to cutscenes quicker and his reactions to the story are why I'm personally watching it.

just start at the wire

don't try to get there from law and order svu

you're a smart guy I believe in you!

But SVU has Ice T in it, how could I not start there?

TraBuch

Banned
Episode four done and I fucking knew it. I knew it. You've got me hooked Dontnod, let's hope you don't botch the landing. And hurry up.

I can see how people want those reactions out of Drew but it didn't always lead to good content. Him wandering around that base in 3 not seeing the door was not entertaining regardless of their reaction afterwards. The first one and Strut F in 2 are the only times the frustration was entertaining. After that, we're just seeing Drew not enjoying himself but pushing through so he likes the wacky storyline. There's way more funny moments that are more than Drew just getting pissed off which are happening in 4. The "I'm just gonna leave. SNAAAAAAAAKKKEEEE!" moment with Octopus was hilarious. I definitely think this one is more entertaining than 3 because Snake Eater is just going through menus and fighting the shitty aim mechanics. 4 can be boring in parts but at least it has Liquid dancing on the boat, i.e. the best Metal Gear Solid moment.

i know that feel austin

my sister bought 2 beds when she moved into her new place a few months ago and surprise its really hard to get rid of a bed

I didn't enjoy watching Drew playing early MGS3, but has been a blast seeing playing 2 and 4. Maybe because those two games go to crazy places while having more accesible controls than 1 and 3, so is we can see Drew reaction to the insanity without him getting exasperated like in 3.

Then again, the next acts of MGS4 are underwhelming compared with the first two in terms of gameplay.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This is all very serious, they look so stressed and the match hasn't even started yet. And these ridiculous clear structure they're in looks like it belongs in the MOMA, not DOTA.

Soundproof booths. Audience reactions would tip them off to information they wouldn't otherwise have.

Dota is srs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom