• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

I can see how people want those reactions out of Drew but it didn't always lead to good content. Him wandering around that base in 3 not seeing the door was not entertaining regardless of their reaction afterwards. The first one and Strut F in 2 are the only times the frustration was entertaining. After that, we're just seeing Drew not enjoying himself but pushing through so he likes the wacky storyline. There's way more funny moments that are more than Drew just getting pissed off which are happening in 4. The "I'm just gonna leave. SNAAAAAAAAKKKEEEE!" moment with Octopus was hilarious. I definitely think this one is more entertaining than 3 because Snake Eater is just going through menus and fighting the shitty aim mechanics. 4 can be boring in parts but at least it has Liquid dancing on the boat, i.e. the best Metal Gear Solid moment.

Nah, that was great because him and Dan were trying to find ways to proceed. 'It's not improbable MGS would have me do this, right'? and trying it out all kinds of solutions. MGS seasons 1-3 have great stuff happening from Drew actually playing the game, of experimenting with the whole gamut of mechanics or stuff going haywire. Season 4 has next to nothing. I don't think it provided any kind of highlights that resulted from gameplay, just Drew and Dan quipping on cutscenes and the like.

Yes, all the menu stuff for treating wounds was crap in 3 but pretty much every boss fight delivered with him trying to suss out what's needed of him and his arsenal. Shenanigans like the dog storming the freshly killed snake next to Snake and then attacking him and more.

The first boss fight this season was disappointing as it was purely waiting for the chances to load clips at it. (wonder what's the non-lethal way to beat it?).
With them gunning to finish season 4 for the first year anniversary i don't anticipate Drew mixing up his style.

Is it too vague to say there's gameplay but not typical MGS gameplay? If MGS4 is spoken of in a good light, it's about Acts 1&2.

Well I mean, if you wanna get technical what is typical MGS gameplay? MGS1 is drastically different from 2, 3 is different from both of 1 and 2, same with 4, and 5 is shaping up to be different from previous entries. Like Dans mentioned, Drew has the tools there to experiment if he wants to.

justjim89

After 3 games of Drew fumbling around, it's nice to watch him play something fairly well. Besides, MGS4 is barely about the gameplay anyhow. Nothing wrong with it being largely a cutscene commentary for the rest of the game.

I'm curious to see how Drew responds to returning to Shadow Moses.

erawsd

Nah, that was great because him and Dan were trying to find ways to proceed. 'It's not improbable MGS would have me do this, right'? and trying it out all kinds of solutions. MGS seasons 1-3 have great stuff happening from Drew actually playing the game, of experimenting with the whole gamut of mechanics or stuff going haywire. Season 4 has next to nothing. I don't think it provided any kind of highlights that resulted from gameplay, just Drew and Dan quipping on cutscenes and the like.

Yes, all the menu stuff for treating wounds was crap in 3 but pretty much every boss fight delivered with him trying to suss out what's needed of him and his arsenal. Shenanigans like the dog storming the freshly killed snake next to Snake and then attacking him and more.

The first boss fight this season was disappointing as it was purely waiting for the chances to load clips at it. (wonder what's the non-lethal way to beat it?).
With them gunning to finish season 4 for the first year anniversary i don't anticipate Drew mixing up his style.

I completely agree with you, this has def been the worst MGScanlon.

For me, the most enjoyable parts of this series has been seeing Drew struggling with and eventually triumphing over the obtuse game design. When I think back on the most memorable moments of the feature its the Nikita blowing up in his face, him always fumbling with the choke move, falling into hidden traps for the 20th time, all his crazy roundabout ways of tackling bosses and stealth segments, or times where he totally subverts everyone's expectations and beats The End without breaking a sweat. I use to avoid reading this topic because I didn't want to be spoiled by whether or not he'd make it through something.

My favorite parts are story reactions specially when the games make a crappy joke after a serious cutscene, when something is so out there that Dan breaks Kayfabe and doesn't sugarcoat it, or when they are genuinely impressed or takes serious something.

I still can't get a playable framerate in Batman on PC but I finished it almost 100% on PS4 without any issues.

That's just the latest example.

As I'm getting older I have less and less patience for all the bullshit associated with PC Gaming. Sure when it works it's great. Looks better, better performance and cheaper... The problem is that most big games that comes out on PC nowadays are fucked.
Batman is the first high profile, bad PC port in a very long time. Even Mortal Kombat worked for a lot of people, it's issues and outcry were more based in their laughable attempts to patch the game requiring multiple full re-downloads. Still, that's two recent Warner Brother games that had issues and they're an exception to the norm.

The idea of PC gaming being this complicated, wild west is a myth.

jgminto

Act 3 on is where MGS4 falls apart for me. They try a lot of different gameplay variations but all of them are worse than the first two acts and don't utilise any of the cool additions in 4. It's why I'm always disappointed when I think about playing some MGS4 but realise my NG+ save is at the start of Act 3.

After 3 games of Drew fumbling around, it's nice to watch him play something fairly well. Besides, MGS4 is barely about the gameplay anyhow. Nothing wrong with it being largely a cutscene commentary for the rest of the game.

I'm curious to see how Drew responds to SNIP.
Uh... That's a pretty huge spoiler isn't it?

I was looking up when the tournament started this year and noticed that some damn South Williamsporter must have added this little blurb in the Little League World Series wikipedia page:

(The postal address of the organization is in Williamsport, but the stadium complex is in South Williamsport.)

Didn't get to watch UPF yesterday so I'm halfway through it now.... what a horrible UPF. The second Dota segment in just as many weeks and now just watching games that they quick looked as well.... geez. Jeff really needs to not leave, this is a horrible UPF. I honestly think I might just turn it off.

Didn't get to watch UPF yesterday so I'm halfway through it now.... what a horrible UPF. The second Dota segment in just as many weeks and now just watching games that they quick looked as well.... geez. Jeff really needs to not leave, this is a horrible UPF. I honestly think I might just turn it off.

Yeah it was pretty boring, I found the Brad gambling part to be kind of interesting but I skipped the rest.

Noaloha

This I guess

zSAqfdN.png

Justin's personal playlist and you can search 'griffin justin' on the Polygon Youtube channel, or 'Monster Factory' if that's your only bag (it should not be your *only* bag).

f0rk

Had someone tell me I suck because I couldn't stop a goal from going in. We were 2vs3 and I was nowhere near the ball.

Had that human being been anywhere close to me I think I would've throttled their throats for some time.

It's almost like all good actually competitive video games have 'toxic' communities

Noaloha

Dude what the hell.

I'm only 8 minutes in their Fallout 3 video and I'm literally in tears.

Their stuff is, straight up, easily the funniest videogame 'video' content currently being put out. They're both extremely capable improv comedians and they're also super intimate with each others' styles as siblings. For non Monster Factory content (ie. typical 'Quicklook' type stuff), Titan Souls and Catlateral Damage are good examples of where their videos can go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom