• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
It almost seemed like he was enjoying the section, to be honest. I think he's been enjoying MGS4 a lot more on the whole because A) it has modern controls and B) Dan hasn't really had to be coy or prod him in the right direction, so he feels less like he's being watched and judged on every move and more like he can just play the game. That doesn't account for commenters, though.

And as for that section...this whole game is just broken up weirdly. I understand where Kojima wanted to go with the acts and all, but each Act has its own distinct gameplay, and while they take a while, when you look back and think back on them, they feel so short. Like, Act 2 seems like a flash in the pan, and that was probably the most metal gear solid-y this game gets, iirc.

It's just so WEIRD.

It's definitely alot shorter, gameplay wise that something like an hour long tailing section feels hefty and meaty. Which is why I'm excited for MGSV....that has been the opposite. While MGS4 was preceded by trailers with alot of story stuff, for MGSV it's been trailers with HUUUGE chunks of gameplay. I'm so damn excited for MGSV. I hope Drew and Dan play the shit out of it(Separately of course, Drew can finally be 'caught up' with MGS to play)

It's definitely alot shorter, gameplay wise that something like an hour long tailing section feels hefty and meaty. Which is why I'm excited for MGSV....that has been the opposite. While MGS4 was preceded by trailers with alot of story stuff, for MGSV it's been trailers with HUUUGE chunks of gameplay. I'm so damn excited for MGSV. I hope Drew and Dan play the shit out of it(Separately of course, Drew can finally be 'caught up' with MGS to play)

And especially the way each gameplay section is bookended by mega-cutscenes, it's almost like each gameplay section is its own little minigame. It's such a strange, strange video game.

I don't think there's any doubt left at this point that MGSV won't be the best playing metal gear game ever. Compare what we've seen of it to what we've seen of 4, and it's pretty clear that somewhere in the time since 4 came out, Kojima learned to make a modern tactical espionage stealth game.

Peace Walker is like a cheap shell steak. You cook it up and serve it just right, and it's good. Kojima looked at what he did with Peace Walker, and now he's going to slaughter the whole cow and serve every cut of meat while trimming the fat.

Mechazawa

MGS4 was the first MGS I ever played and I remembered thinking that the first half of Act 3 was my favorite part of the game. I came from a Splinter Cell background, so being forced to sneak through European back alleys and avoid searchlights reminded me the most of that. And that fucking trenchcoat was too good. So I was actually really surprised to see a bunch of people ended up hating that part.

Looking at that section again 7 years later,
I was right.

MGS4 was the first MGS I ever played and I remembered thinking that the first half of Act 3 was my favorite part of the game. I came from a Splinter Cell background, so being forced to sneak through European back alleys and avoid searchlights reminded me the most of that. And that fucking trenchcoat was too good. So I was actually really surprised to see a bunch of people ended up hating that part.

Looking at that section again 7 years later,
I was right.

Yeah it doesn't look bad at all. Of course I'm not surprised that Dan hates it.

But after Ground Zeroes I'm really looking forward to MGSV's brand of stealth.

Maybe Kojima just saw the feedback to the Act 3 stealth, played the section himself whilst looking at that part critically and found out everyone was right, took a bottle of whiskey, climbed a mountain, and took a good long look at himself and asked, 'What am I doing with my life.'

And then MGSV was born.

Ketch

act 3 is the worst part, it's so bad. this is the worst part of the worst game in the series... followed closely by the god awful cut-scene exposition from the first 3/4ths of the game.

- J - D -

While Dan's excitement for the lore of MGS is expected, it's nice to see and hear Drew's enthusiasm as pieces of the story progressively fall into place during the giant act 3 info dump.I wasn't expecting that.

Jothel

Is there a non spoilery explanation for who/what
those things sticking their head out and then disappearing under the bridges?
or should I just wait and all will be revealed?

jgminto

act 3 is the worst part, it's so bad. this is the worst part of the worst game in the series... followed closely by the god awful cut-scene exposition from the first 3/4ths of the game.
The next part isn't much better. It baffles me that the entire middle section of the game just throws away all the interesting additions to MGS4's stealth. No Octocamo, no active battlefields, very little potential for the gadgets and items in the game. Those two chapters have some of the worst design decisions in the series.

Ketch

The next part isn't much better. It baffles me that the entire middle section of the game just throws away all the interesting additions to MGS4's stealth. No Octocamo, no active battlefields, very little potential for the gadgets and items in the game. Those two chapters have some of the worst design decisions in the series.

yea, but at least it's crazy weird.

Closest we would have ever gotten to public reactions in MGS were the scenes cut from MGS2 where the news was reporting on arsenal crashing into New York.

Sadly I don't think they will ever be released. (They were finished but cut due to 9/11)
I believe somebody ended up digging out some of the live-action footage that was filmed but left on the game DVD as dummy data or whatever it's called. It was just visual though, they either never got around to recording the VO for the news caster or they scrapped it.

It wasn't really exciting anyways, it was a blurry shot of Lady Liberty with a pea-soup-green filter or something anyways. Not even done up to be contextualized with the events of MGS2.

... And NOW it occurs to me that, hey, somebody probably faked that footage to get a couple minutes of Internet fame.

Welp, that's what being unable to sleep will do to you. That, and remembering sleepless summer and winter nights spent playing through MGS2 over and over and over...

Damn I love that game.

Nero18

I think the Metal Gear Solid story, or at least, the parts pertaining to Big Boss, would make a lot more sense and be a lot easier to understand if we got a taste of what the general public thinks about Big Boss. All through the story, we're told that he's so important as a symbol, as a legendary hero, but...that's it. We're only told that. So it makes it all seem very obtuse and abstract and it's hard to really understand the importance of this legendary soldier. Like, there are no conceivable places in the game that we could have had the general public's point of view presented to us, but I feel like it would have helped so much.

For me the same goes with Solid Snake. At least we saw Big Boss twice stop what would be a huge nuclear conflict. With Snake, we are always told he is a legendary soldier but there is no real context for that if you havent played the original MG1/2.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
For me the same goes with Solid Snake. At least we saw Big Boss twice stop what would be a huge nuclear conflict. With Snake, we are always told he is a legendary soldier but there is no real context for that if you havent played the original MG1/2.

Aren't they all legendary heroes amongst the military community? Isn't that the idea? Solid Snake is the dream soldier that every up and coming military man wants to be. Not a public legend but a military one. That was always my impression. Big Boss was more Cold War hero.

I really can't wait for some of the cut scenes in Act 5. FML there are some awful ones in there. I'm replaying it right now and some of the Meryl and Raiden scenes are just unfathomable dogshit. Kojima really had a scorched-earth attitude to this game. Which is a shame because PW clearly invigorated Kojima. It could have been so different.

danm999

Mario Party Party 5 must be soon right?

Or has Dan lost some dramatic, bloody, internal power struggle to Jeff and Brad
and Drew probably.

tchocky

I still think they should just replace UPF with them on the couch playing demo discs, each disc has at least 5 demos so everyone would get to play a game and they wouldn't have to think of what game they are going to play on UPF.

Volotaire

MGS4 spoilers (gaemplay of).
On the final part of the tailing section on hard difficulty, you had two car patrols with 6 PMC soldiers in each constantly circling the area. Drew got of lightly. But overall, great job Drew!

EDIT: ah I heard one go past.

I think he nailed my frustrations with it by describing it as such a slow segment that can't even be pushed forward. It's a nightmare on replays.

Not I'd you know what you're doing. Drew was on the right path thinking of just putting on the Octocamo. It's tedious but you can blow by this section in 10 minutes on replays and pick up some cool camo patterns along the way.

SPCTRE

Canceled my premium sub last week, I still enjoy GB content but I realized I almost exclusively access content that is free anyway (Beast-/Bombcast, don't want to miss out on those ad reads).

The premium stuff is still mostly great, but I hardly watch video content anymore (limited free time means I want to actually play stuff as much as possible). Plus, it's kinda special interest (MGS, VinnyVania) and I don't have time for full UPFs.

More and more, the Beastcast is becoming GB for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom