• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Canceled my premium sub last week, I still enjoy GB content but I realized I almost exclusively access content that is free anyway (Beast-/Bombcast, don't want to miss out on those ad reads).

The premium stuff is still mostly great, but I hardly watch video content anymore (limited free time means I want to actually play stuff as much as possible). Plus, it's kinda special interest (MGS, VinnyVania) and I don't have time for full UPFs.

More and more, the Beastcast is becoming GB for me.
Same here, mine is running out soon. I don't really like any premium stuff they do right now. Demo Derby is cool, but I don't care much about the timeframe of the discs. Kinda sucks, tbh,

This is the point where Kojima decided to take a dump all over Metal Gear and of course Dan loves it. :lol

I can't be only one feeling almost a resentment towards the game he's making through all of this. MGS4 is truly special.

Volotaire

I hope Drew gets to the (cutscene spoiler)
Ocelot gun
cutscene next episode.

Given it's MGS week, he should easily finish the next act this week
Shadow Moses.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I have to know why you thought that was Vinny popo

tchocky

Canceled my premium sub last week, I still enjoy GB content but I realized I almost exclusively access content that is free anyway (Beast-/Bombcast, don't want to miss out on those ad reads).

The premium stuff is still mostly great, but I hardly watch video content anymore (limited free time means I want to actually play stuff as much as possible). Plus, it's kinda special interest (MGS, VinnyVania) and I don't have time for full UPFs.

More and more, the Beastcast is becoming GB for me.

I cancelled my sub and then two days later they announced the return of MGS so I had to resubscribe. Other than MGS the only premium content I have any interst in is Alt F1 and the movie commentaries.

I agree that the reasons to be a subscriber are less now than they've been in a long time, but I don't think I'll ever cancel mine. I'm just too deep in Giant Bomb.

hamchan

I agree that the reasons to be a subscriber are less now than they've been in a long time, but I don't think I'll ever cancel mine. I'm just too deep in Giant Bomb.

I think they're putting out more premium content than they ever have before and as someone who consumes literally everything they put out it's been pretty great. I think around PAX is generally the time when unsubbing seems right.

Jintor

i wonder if brad has actually watched more of jojos.

i can't wait when it's revealed that brad is the secret secret anime editor

I think they're putting out more premium content than they ever have before and as someone who consumes literally everything they put out it's been pretty great. I think around PAX is generally the time when unsubbing seems right.

I don't know how it breaks down as far as the number of videos per week, but there's certainly fewer premium features than there has been in a long time. MGScanlon, very infrequent Demo Derby, and Vinnyvania are the only video features now that the Boring Bradborne is done. I hope they do that cross-country Flight Club they've talked about before.

Curufinwe

I don't know how it breaks down as far as the number of videos per week, but there's certainly fewer premium features than there has been in a long time. MGScanlon, very infrequent Demo Derby, and Vinnyvania are the only video features now that the Boring Bradborne is done. I hope they do that cross-country Flight Club they've talked about before.

They just did an ER of Contradiction, and who knows what wacky hijinks will happen in the near future.

Not I'd you know what you're doing. Drew was on the right path thinking of just putting on the Octocamo. It's tedious but you can blow by this section in 10 minutes on replays and pick up some cool camo patterns along the way.

I know what I'm doing.

K64RtHo.jpg

And 10 minutes is still too long.

I know what I'm doing.

And 10 minutes is still too long.

hah, I too finished MGS4 early into the next morning. It wasn't my intention, really, It was a workday and I thought it would all wrap up just shortly after midnight.

But then it just kept going. and going. and going. And when it was over my children, and their children, along with their loved ones, were surrounding me while I laid on my death bed, loosening my grip on the drained PS3 Dual Shock controller I had been holding, my hands remaining in that stiff claw position well into rigor mortis and past it, making my shaking of god's hands weirder than i cared for, a unique way to start my eternity in heaven.

I wouldn't call the old Bond movies boring but the most dated aspect of them are the absolutely terribly choreographed fight scenes and weirdly cut action scenes, especially chase scenes. Also, absurd sexism.

I wouldn't call the old Bond movies boring but the most dated aspect of them are the absolutely terribly choreographed fight scenes and weirdly cut action scenes, especially chase scenes.

yeah sped up car chases look terrible pretty much 100% of the time

but if you think 007 movies are boring that's probably more of a personal problem than objective truth

Let me just apologize for the avatar in advance. When you enter a Lethal Lottery, every participant loses, but some lose harder.

Anyway, does anyone have the clip of Alex ranting about Minions from a recent Beastcast?

Also, all y'all can be Vinny. I'm Alex Navarro.

I wouldn't call the old Bond movies boring but the most dated aspect of them are the absolutely terribly choreographed fight scenes and weirdly cut action scenes, especially chase scenes. Also, absurd sexism.

yeah sped up car chases look terrible pretty much 100% of the time

but if you think 007 movies are boring that's probably more of a personal problem than objective truth

I have that same boxset of blu rays dan mentioned in the video.

Having never seen any of the Connery, Moore, or Dalton bond movies before, I can say that:

The Connery bonds almost all hold up. Dr No clearly doesn't have the budget the other films do but that makes sense. And the ending 1/3 of thunderball is some painfully boring shit. But the rest is solid.

The Moore shit is just weird. When it tries to do its own thing it can work (The Spy Who Loved Me is good!) but overall Moore's run is even worse than the bad Pierce films. From Live and Let Die's weirdly racist blaxploitation feel to Moonraker's thinly veiled attempt to lure Star Wars fans into the theater and trick them into watching a bond film, Moore's run is painfully awful at times. It also gets creepy near the end, when he turns into Lecherous Bond and is creeping with women that are nearly half a century younger than him.

Finally, both Dalton films are legit good and he got shafted.

tldr: the Connery stuff holds up because he's a cool dude doing cool things. The Moore stuff not so much.

the funny thing is that I've seen all of those movies literally dozens of times over three decades and I agree with everything you just said*

that box set is one of my favorite possessions I think

*except that I think that Die Another Day is worse than even the worst Moore films. incredibly.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I have such fond memories of Mattimeo and The Legend of Luke and Martin the Warrior... there's so many I never read. I wonder if they hold up? I thought they were great when I read them 15+ years ago.

I also have fond memories of the early novels which I'm wondering if it'll hold up now, though I can't remember when I stopped. I just looked at the wiki page and holy shit there are 22 NOVELS?

Maybe I'll just put away a dedicated time in the future to read them all.

Will probably get and play armello before all that. :p

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So if I remember correctly, Big Boss lives in a van down by the river. Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom