• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
*charges at you with a spear attack that has a hitbox twice the size of my model*

wow this is GOOD im having FUN what a GREAT WAY to close out my time with this game

hahaha i just depleted his lifebar completely and then he turned around and killed me while his lifebar was empty

IS THAT ALL YOU'VE GOT

*health goes up*

all I have to say is
git gud

The most recent VinnyVania might be the most grueling so far. I'm talking GameCenter CX-style brutal. lol
I expect that Vinny will find the final two levels to be even more brutal, even though the bosses are pretty easy if you know the tricks.

The final levels are pretty much a Greatest Hits remix of the obstacles that Vinny has encountered so far. So expect to see Breaking Blocks, Falling Blocks, a Forced Vertical Scrolling section, fighting a water current, and Medusa Heads.

And the most brutal part?
Remember at the end of the first Castlevania, when the designers were nice enough to send you back to right before the Dracula fight if you died/continued? Not the case in Castlevania 3. If you lose a life fighting Drac, you get kicked back to the last checkpoint, a few rooms back. If you use a continue, you have to run through the entire final level again.

valeo

I went into that Armello QL expecting to hate it - I thought it was some Furry board game - but it's actually really cool, especially for an Unfinished game. Kinda want GBEast to do a play-date with it.

I don't know if you will still be into it once you google New Type Cafe. Mostly because I think it's weird to use the term that way.

I feel like I saw this at some point and entirely forgot about it lol. Gundam stuff tends to overwrite adjacent knowledge in my brain.

LiK

I finally watched the latest mailbag. Holy shit, FU to whoever sent them that old garbage. Throw away your shit like a normal human being next time. GB ain't Goodwill.

Myggen

I knew that English speaking was prevalent in scandinavian countries but I was surprised when several scandinavian callers called into to one of Giant Bomb's call in shows with an accent that was almost indistinguishable from a normal American accent. Then I saw a speedrunner from Denmark, the same thing. He actually had to keep telling people he wasn't American.

Those are probably a lot more fluent than the average Scandinavian, we normally have pretty thick accents. But we learn English from a very early age, don't really dub anything that isn't for young children and just in general consume a lot of American pop culture and media. So if you meet someone on the street you're gonna be able to have a pretty normal conversation with him/her in English.

The only Europeans (excluding the English-speaking countries obviously) who speak English better than us are probably the Dutch.

Wow, Armello looks like a lot of fun. Game's got mountains of style, a great art direction, and an absolutely amazing trailer. Wasn't interested before, but now I'll keep a look out for it.

Poor bear.

Those are probably a lot more fluent than the average Scandinavian, we normally have pretty thick accents. But we learn English from a very early age, don't really dub anything that isn't for young children and just in general consume a lot of American pop culture and media. So if you meet someone on the street you're gonna be able to have a pretty normal conversation with him/her in English.

The only Europeans (excluding the English-speaking countries obviously) who speak English better than us are probably the Dutch.

They all seemed very young. Growing up with the internet, I imagine they were even more exposed to American media. I'd love to visit sometime. Hell, based on what I know of the Nordic model, I'd love to live there.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
oIyxcdH.jpg

I gotta ask, how was MGS1 received back in the day, story wise? Because it sure seems like a whole lot of major plot points hinge on knowledge of MG1 and 2, which I feel like very few people actually played.

I tell you, it's a super confusing game to play as someone with some knowledge of the metal gear universe already, because I was constantly questioning whether or not I was supposed to know something yet.

I gotta ask, how was MGS1 received back in the day, story wise? Because it sure seems like a whole lot of major plot points hinge on knowledge of MG1 and 2, which I feel like very few people actually played.

I tell you, it's a super confusing game to play as someone with some knowledge of the metal gear universe already, because I was constantly questioning whether or not I was supposed to know something yet.

It was critically acclaimed for its story and themes

neshcom

Banned
Didn't the MGS briefing videos and written information dish out some of that information? Otherwise, I remember feeling like MGS told a pretty stand-alone story with context-clues.

MGS1 was such a cool game for the time.

Remember it was 1998. Stories in games was limited to text in RPG's and terrible CG cut scenes in fighting games.

Its entire presentation was mind blowing.

But yeah the story was super confusing and the references to the other games didnt help. I dont even think the real MG 2 was even released in the west by then.

i never played MG1/2 and didn't even notice they were referencing them until well after i beat the game.

It had a nice manual with back story. I remember knowing everything I needed to know.

MGS1 was such a cool game for the time.

Remember it was 1998. Stories in games was limited to text in RPG's and terrible CG cut scenes in fighting games.

Its entire presentation was mind blowing.

But yeah the story was super confusing and the references to the other games didnt help. I dont even think the real MG 2 was even released in the west by then.

Yeah, obviously it's hard to put things in historical context, especially with the evolution of the interactive medium since then.

but it's strange to me to think that so many metal gear solid fans were born out of this game that very much seemed to be a direct sequel to MG2. I never realized how important those games were to the overall story until I played through MGS1.

LiK

Yeah, obviously it's hard to put things in historical context, especially with the evolution of the interactive medium since then.

but it's strange to me to think that so many metal gear solid fans were born out of this game that very much seemed to be a direct sequel to MG2. I never realized how important those games were to the overall story until I played through MGS1.

agree, altho since the original MG games weren't all that deep with the story or lore, it's not necessary to enjoy the Solid games. it was fun reading about them tho.

Larzhino

Neo Member
Wow, Armello looks like a lot of fun. Game's got mountains of style, a great art direction, and an absolutely amazing trailer. Wasn't interested before, but now I'll keep a look out for it.

Poor bear.

It really does! I end up bailing on a lot of Quick Looks, but that game really got into me. Cant wait to pick it up in a few weeks.

Oh wait, how did one set Auto-Aim on in MGS4 again? Was it Select or one of the D-Pad directional buttons?

Yeah, talking about Metal Gear Scanlon 4. >_>

Isnt the square button dedicated to turning auto aim off and on in the default controls for MGS4?

I think I remember it being one of those features to help ease Japanese players who where not use to the right stick aiming stuff then.

Dan, since you brought it up during MGS, you should really play Warhawk (PS3) on UPF. It actually is available on PlayStation Now (both as a standalone rental and with a PS Now subscription). I think it does everything the native PS3 version does apart from having DLC.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My only complaint of mgs4 run is I wish Dan played the game recently. So much of him not knowing :/

Otherwise its been a great way to catch up before MGS5 comes out :D

LiK

My only complaint of mgs4 run is I wish Dan played the game recently. So much of him not knowing :/

i'm the same as Dan, don't remember all the cool reveals that happened in it. reminded me why i loved MGS4 so much.

I vastly prefer it this way, actually. Watching them both deal with it as a team is much better than Dan being antsy about wanting to backseat drive at points.

dhonk

But you miss all the cool mgs tidbits he would mention throughout the run :(

Most of the amazing stuff is from new game plus playthroughs IMO. But yeah Im enjoying this one more because he isnt front loading expectation for Drew. Also he isnt mistakenly remembering things all the time. (INFINITY FRUSTRATING.)

The feature is worse off for Dan not remembering all the cutscenes where you can try and look at someone's panties or all the lockers where you can masturbate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom