• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

If Kojima (well he cannot anymore) ever wanted to make the series more convoluted he could of carried on the Ghost Babel story and created an alternate timeline.

Add some time travel in the far future and hey presto.

Zaph

So about the ep 9 infodump...

My understanding of MGS3 The Boss is sent deep undercover to infiltrate Volgin. The nukes were to gain his trust. Surprisingly/unsurprisingly he uses a nuke and now the US has to scramble and 'prove' they're not involved in this massive fuck up and have to make a show of killing The Boss.

But in ep9
Big Mama/Eva says the CIA resented how revered The Boss was becoming (apparently she was so charismatic? that's never really shown but whatevs) and orchestrated her death. So does that mean it was the CIA's plan to send her undercover and they hoped she would die somehow? Or did they actually plan the whole nuke thing and were in control of Volgin all along?

Good interview with the Tacoma guy. I'm really looking forward to that game and it's nice to hear they're adding more complexity or game-ness to Tacoma. I loved Gone Home but I would certainly accept adding more game to it.

So about the ep 9 infodump...

My understanding of MGS3 The Boss is sent deep undercover to infiltrate Volgin. The nukes were to gain his trust. Surprisingly/unsurprisingly he uses a nuke and now the US has to scramble and 'prove' they're not involved in this massive fuck up and have to make a show of killing The Boss.

But in ep9
Big Mama/Eva says the CIA resented how revered The Boss was becoming (apparently she was so charismatic? that's never really shown but whatevs) and orchestrated her death. So does that mean it was the CIA's plan to send her undercover and they hoped she would die somehow? Or did they actually plan the whole nuke thing and were in control of Volgin all along?

It was a bit of a retcon. The way I see it is that was EVA's view on the situation. Only BB knows the sacrifice the Boss made for her country.

What, is it that unbelievable that the surface would feature heavily in everyday life?

When I think about Surface product placement, I think about the hundreds of millions Microsoft paid the NFL to use their tablets on the sidelines only to have commentators endless refer to them as iPads.

My feelings on the whole "the Boss was an issue at the CIA" thing is that the Virtuous Mission going to shit ended up being a convenient situation for those at the CIA who were concerned regarding the Boss and her influence. It wasn't that they intentionally sent her to die so much as when the situation arose in the fashion that it did they weren't exactly like, hey, let's try to get her out of this. They were okay with her being sacrificed.

Someone let Jeff know the good news.

kUJsgad.jpg

Yeah, this raven fight is pretty terrible. These bnb fights are as whack as I remember them being.

I seem to remember every B&B fight being easy but also really tedious.

MGS4's biggest issue is that it nudges you, guides you, and gives you all tools to go all-out action but the game is still best played and best enjoyed with stealth. I remember my first time through the game I got suckered into this action mentality and I flat-out hated the majority of boss fights and other specific sections of the game. My second time around I went back to a stealth focus and those boss fights I hated became way, way more fun and enjoyable.

The Raging Raven fight is a perfect example of this. Spray and pray is tedious and doesn't really work, but sneak around, take advantage of the multi-floor design and damaged areas, and pick your spots with a sniper rifle? Immensely better.

Okay, someone help me out here. It's been so long since I've played an MGS game that I only remember playing them and nothing else. Never got to MGS4.

Eva = Big Mama
Big Mama = Snake's mother

They had... intercourse, right? MG Scanlon is a series I've watch and browse at the same time, so it hasn't had my complete attention. Am I missing something?

hamchan

Okay, someone help me out here. It's been so long since I've played an MGS game that I only remember playing them and nothing else. Never got to MGS4.

Eva = Big Mama

They had... intercourse, right? MG Scanlon is a series I've watch and browse at the same time, so it hasn't had my complete attention. Am I missing something?

Snake is his own father yes.

Eva = Big Mama

What? No. EVA was Liquid and Solid's surrogate.

Eva = Big Mama

Big Boss (naked snake) did the dirty with her but he was sterile.

They wanted to make some clones of BB later down the line and she was the surrogate for Solid and Liquid. So she birthed SS and LS but is technically not their mother.

look man you need to pay attention because it isn't going to get any easier.

Zaph

My feelings on the whole "the Boss was an issue at the CIA" thing is that the Virtuous Mission going to shit ended up being a convenient situation for those at the CIA who were concerned regarding the Boss and her influence. It wasn't that they intentionally sent her to die so much as when the situation arose in the fashion that it did they weren't exactly like, hey, let's try to get her out of this. They were okay with her being sacrificed.

Okay, that makes more sense. So it wasn't really orchestrated by the CIA, but they made sure to exploit the situation once the nuke went off.

Someone let Jeff know the good news.

All those loud and clear voices need putting on a watchlist.

I usually put QLs on in the background when I'm at home doing stuff but my issues with comcast have put the brakes on that over the last few weeks

so far behind

You see, Big Boss is the Naked Snake that tempted Eva in the Garden of Something and therefore is also the Devil. The Devil ("Punished" Snake was cast from "Heaven" to Earth as punishment, created his own "Outer Heaven" that is literally "out of Heaven") has a horn in his head in the next Metal Gear for his heel turn.

The analogy is complete.

Big Boss (naked snake) did the dirty with her but he was sterile.

They wanted to make some clones of BB later down the line and she was the surrogate for Solid and Liquid. So she birthed SS and LS but is technically not their mother.

look man you need to pay attention because it isn't going to get any easier.

This made me laugh. Too true.

Echoing comments from earlier in the thread that the Raven fight is trash (I scrubbed through most of it [sorry, Dan and Drew!]), and I'm dreading
Crying Wolf
, though after this last fight, Drew seems to have gotten used to using NV on the Solid Eye.

Oh geez, and I just remembered the little "trick" to the final BB fight. Very curious to see if Drew figures that out.

The two things I'm begging Dan to do moving forward:
1) Do everything in his power to make sure that Drew is NOT spotted by that Gekko at the beginning of Act 4
2) Make Drew buy that .50 caliber long range rifle. Made so many fights so much easier for me.

Echoing comments from earlier in the thread that the Raven fight is trash (I scrubbed through most of it [sorry, Dan and Drew!]), and I'm dreading
Crying Wolf
, though after this last fight, Drew seems to have gotten used to using NV on the Solid Eye.

Same thing I said before applies here: If he goes all action, he's going to have a bad time.

Same thing I said before applies here: If he goes all action, he's going to have a bad time.

Yep, agreed. Then again, he surprised us with the End (and with Act 3, to a degree), so I'm holding out hope.

But yes, I won't be surprised to see a 2hr-plus timestamp on that particular episode.

edit: it's also been a WHILE since I've seen the post-robot suit B&B sequences, and geez, they're erm...I won't say problematic, but I was definitely cringing/uncomfortable at some of the camera lingering, especially with Raven in the most recent episode.

So far, the only woman that hasn't been overtly objectified in MGS4 has been Meryl, who suffers from severe daddy issues and will (later in the story) be in
literally
crappy romantic subplot.

and then people wonder why some folks are greatly concerned over Kojima's handling of Quiet in MGSV

demidar

So far, the only woman that hasn't been overtly objectified in MGS4 has been Meryl, who suffers from severe daddy issues and will (later in the story) be in
literally
crappy romantic subplot.

and then people wonder why some folks are greatly concerned over Kojima's handling of Quiet in MGSV

I like that Meryl is actually very muscled, which people will be able to see later when
she's in her wedding dress

Zocano

Yep, agreed. Then again, he surprised us with the End (and with Act 3, to a degree), so I'm holding out hope.

But yes, I won't be surprised to see a 2hr-plus timestamp on that particular episode.

I don't even know if crying wolf is fun full "stealth" for most because the under side of a truck is all I ever remember about that fight.

literally
crappy romantic subplot.

Yep, and the Paz tapes in GZ *shudder*.

He did such a great job with the Boss though, so you know he's got it in him to not completely objectify women in the story. Hoping that side wins out in TPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom