• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

Watching the quick look for the Witcher 1, boy Geralt and people in general look weird as hell in that game

It's a modified Aurora Engine game, the thing Neverwinter Nights ran on. I find it sort of impressive that they were able to repurpose the engine to fit a behind-the-shoulder cam.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty surprising...until you realize Croteam has a bunch more people, took longer than a year and it's not really the same game at all, yeah. :p
How many people are working on The Witness? I'm guessing it's a pretty sizable operation by now, too.

It's a modified Aurora Engine game, the thing Neverwinter Nights ran on. I find it sort of impressive that they were able to repurpose the engine to fit a behind-the-shoulder cam.
You can actually play it Neverwinter-style. It looks way better that way.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Oh no, won't someone think of these poor, sad, richly drawn characters. Granted, I thought Dan's "what's the point?!" was oddly dense too, but he was on point just a couple moments earlier with his accurate summation of what Kojima was trying to get across.

Dan: "War's bad!"

Pretty much. We get it, Kojima, jesus. Now let's get back to butt shots of these war-abused, psychologically traumatized sexy ladies. Because, you know, that's not incredibly disgusting.

I get what they were going for with the BnBs. It is the juxtaposition of the erotic and the disturbed/war torn. I even think the beauty forms are quite disturbing. The way they follow you around to the screams and the fading colours is quite horrifying. HOWEVER! The concept is ruined by the fact that they are real life models who you can photograph. It completely undermines the concept - Kojima was trying to have his cake and eat it. But why would you expect someone who has first person prompts in cut scenes to stare at boobs to show sexual restraint... Otherwise I quite like them as a concept.

They also have no backstory at all. It has to be deliberate that they are all generic infodumps delivered by Drebin after the fact. It has to be. My sketchy theory is that it is about the collapsing of the nostalgia you once felt - just as the camera collapses in Act 4. They are shitty facsimiles of prior bosses.

LiK

Watching the quick look for the Witcher 1, boy Geralt and people in general look weird as hell in that game

yea, old game and the controls were weird at first as well. i had to look past the graphics cuz i played it late. i basically ploughed through it before i played Witcher 2. best decision cuz the lore and introduction to the world was well done. TW2 didn't do any of that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
yea, old game and the controls were weird at first as well. i had to look past the graphics cuz i played it late. i basically ploughed through it before i played Witcher 2. best decision cuz the lore and introduction to the world was well done. TW2 didn't do any of that.
Same here. Started 1 three times over and I'm glad I did. I think it's better than 2 with a lot of clunkiness, though.

LiK

Same here. Started 1 three times over and I'm glad I did. I think it's better than 2 with a lot of clunkiness, though.

yea, my main gripe with TW1 was the dreaded swamp level. that was quite a grind and they made us revisit it way too much. i enjoyed the rest a lot tho.

ha, this was me too. it probably took a year of playing through the first half hour like 3 times before I stuck it out. definitely better than 2 story-wise imo

LiK

ha, this was me too. it probably took a year of playing through the first half hour like 3 times before I stuck it out. definitely better than 2 story-wise imo

TW2 became too much of a political mess and tried to be more grounded. TW1 had way more of this fantastical setting. kinda glad TW3 went back to how TW1 was while retaining aspects of TW2 without the convoluted plots.

in the ~15 hours or so that I've played of TW3 it's basically a Witcher Simulator that also happens to have a series of plot quests

I like wandering around doing witcher-y things. best part of the game.

A combination of that xp bug from a while ago and the Novigrad section of the game have completely tanked my interest in the Witcher 3. I doubt I'll get back to it this year which is a shame as I was really enjoying it.

LiK

A combination of that xp bug from a while ago and the Novigrad section of the game have completely tanked my interest in the Witcher 3. I doubt I'll get back to it this year which is a shame as I was really enjoying it.

what's wrong with Novigrad? pretty impressive area, imo.

Nero18

Some of the praise for the Witcher 3 was mostly down to "oh god we finally get a good next gen game". The mission design is super repetitive and the story mostly feels like standard fantasy. Nothing really grabbing me.

Xater

Some of the praise for the Witcher 3 was mostly down to "oh god we finally get a good next gen game". The mission design is super repetitive and the story mostly feels like standard fantasy. Nothing really grabbing me.

I think you mistook Dragon Age Inquisition for Witcher 3.

TW3 (so far) has some of the most interesting, least cookie cutter quests I've played in a wrpg in basically forever

even when it's just "hey go kill a thing for me" it almost always has a cool little story snippet to go along with it.

and the combat is actually mostly good in this one too

LiK

oh man, totally disagree. almost all the sidequests are unique and have pretty great stories. not sure how much you played but it really stays fresh throughout.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

I really don't see how the story is standard fantasy? Mission design, sure, can't dispute that too much, but the story? It is a detective story more than a fantasy story and avoids most fantasy tropes.... CDPR are experts at blending different plotlines together which seem disconnected but eventually meet up. Salamanca in Witcher 1 is an example of this and 3 continues this.

Yeah, I mean sure a lot of Witcher 3 quests do boil down to following glowy red trails, but when you compare that game's quests to basically any other modern western RPG with Collect 10 Bad Guy Pelts and Kill All The Blumpkins Please, the quest design is maybe the biggest thing that sets that game apart.

Haunted

Ranking of Fighters 0003 with TWO games instead of one?

The fools! They're cutting down the number of possible episodes by half!

also I can't remember the last time I played a game with fast travel where I almost never use it because the world is interesting/busy enough to warrant just hoofing it to your goal

Roach can get fucked though

LiK

I'm specifically referring to the main quest there.It was multiple hours spent chasing a character who I didn't particularly care for and it felt like it went on for way too long.

oh, didn't feel that long to me. i spent half the time doing the various sidequests to mix things up.

tuxfool

Banned
oh, didn't feel that long to me. i spent half the time doing the various sidequests to mix things up.

This is the right way of doing things.

To this I'd ask, what game has a non repetitive mission design in your eyes?

LiK

I did recently push through to Skellige and that was immediately more interesting than Novigrad but I've kind of dropped the game since then.

try doing the contracts and other secondary quests. i always hunt down the board notices whenever i can. they're also much shorter so you don't feel burnt out by the main quests.

This is the right way of doing things.

tbh, the sidequests have way more interesting lil stories than the main quest which kept me going. really adored all the various NPCs you meet along the way. even minor NPCs i met for just one quest were really fascinating and well written/voiced.

Jintor

I liked Witcher 3 well enough but I was definitely fatiguing badly by the end of it.

I think the main thing that kept me was simply that I liked all the characters. Geralt, Ciri, Yenn... I wanted to find out what would happen next.

The quest design didn't do nearly as much spiralling as I thought it would based on what I'd heard generally though. Usually quests that led to other quests were telegraphed clearly. There was a tonne of stuff I dealt with in Act 1 that just never turned up again in any fashion. I guess not knowing which bits would or wouldn't though was part of the magic.

Nero18

To this I'd ask, what game has a non repetitive mission design in your eyes?

Valid point. They could have done more to contextualize Witcher sense in every mission. As it is now, i feel like I'm just repeating the same pattern over and over again. Other games do a better job of masking that.

tuxfool

Banned
tbh, the sidequests have way more interesting lil stories than the main quest which kept me going. really adored all the various NPCs you meet along the way. even minor NPCs i met for just one quest were really fascinating and well written/voiced.

This piece by Super Bunnyhop explains quite well why the Witcher 3 works so well as an extremely long game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5LL3VCZC5w

Valid point. They could have done more to contextualize Witcher sense in every mission. As it is now, i feel like I'm just repeating the same pattern over and over again. Other games do a better job of masking that.

Yes, they abuse witcher senses, but the quests are a lot more than witcher senses (senses are a very minor part). If you don't get engaged with the world, I'd have to say it sucks for you, because that is what they are really pushing.

by the time GOTY discussions come around Brad will remind us how each copy of the witcher 3 set our gaming device of choice on fire and turned half of humanity into cybernetic war machines no longer capable love, only pain

try doing the contracts and other secondary quests. i always hunt down the board notices whenever i can. they're also much shorter so you don't feel burnt out by the main quests.
Yeah that's what I was mainly doing, it was only Novigrad where I focused on the main quest. I'll definitely go back to it but it's just a matter of when.

LiK

by the time GOTY discussions come around Brad will remind us how each copy of the witcher 3 set our gaming device of choice on fire and turned half of humanity into cybernetic war machines no longer capable love, only pain

i'm hoping Jeff can get back to it soon. also Drew is planning to play it as well altho i'm not so sure either one of them will get through much of it.

Haunted

Still better than Destiny.

Yup at this rate they will run out of fighting games in like a month if my math is right.
!

I think they need to, otherwise they get capped at episode 9999.
valid point

Jintor

speaking of novigrad, i'm also interested to see if anybody will ever solve the problem of cities either being hand-crafted but too small (Oblivion's "Capital City" with like 80 people in it) or really big but with only specified points of interest in a sea of big block geometry (GTAs, Saints Row etc).

Also, I still haven't seen the Crackdown vids yet, but I really hope destruction tech comes back. Red Faction Guerilla still unmatched

tuxfool

Banned
i'm hoping Jeff can get back to it soon. also Drew is planning to play it as well altho i'm not so sure either one of them will get through much of it.

Nah. It isn't a Jeff game. Nor a Drew game.

In DA:I Jeff didn't even get to the point where he could complain about icon collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom