• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Nah. It isn't a Jeff game. Nor a Drew game.

nah, Jeff is into it but he wasn't a fan of the default walking controls. now that the patch is out, he can probably get back into it. Drew would totally get into it, imo. but he never seems to have time for any long games.

oh man, Brad, Dan and Vinny will most likely be fighting for TW3 so it's gonna be a huge favorite for GB GOTY already. not even Jeff can stop that trio, hehe

danm999

by the time GOTY discussions come around Brad will remind us how each copy of the witcher 3 set our gaming device of choice on fire and turned half of humanity into cybernetic war machines no longer capable love, only pain

It's gonna depend on what game Brad decides to champion this year.

I honestly don't know what game that will be this time. Last two years it has been exceedingly clear.

tuxfool

Banned
Also, I still haven't seen the Crackdown vids yet, but I really hope destruction tech comes back. Red Faction Guerilla still unmatched

I'm not sure you should expect much out of Crackdown. Full destruction will only show up in MP. Unfortunately in MP you probably won't have the living city aspect.

well my post about TW3 was referencing how every time brad seems to mention the game he makes it sound less and less technically sound. He's like Gob from arrested development when he has his $600 suit on, only instead of making the suit sound more expensive every time he makes TW3 sound like an Early Access game where development halted about 60% in.

Also, i'm finally digging into TMCC in the lead up to halo 5 and playing through Halo 1 for the first time since back in the OG Xbox days.

It's, eh, it's not very fun these days. I only remembered the library section being extremely repetitive but i'll be damned if this game isn't basically the same shit over and over again for the most part. I'm currently on Truth and Reconciliation and how the covenant dont spend 90% of the time scratching their heads trying to figure out where the hell they are in these same-y hallways is beyond me. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 100 year old greyed grunt just aimlessly walking around the ship trying to find the bathroom for the last two decades.

At least the remaster visuals are pretty decent.

LiK

Also, i'm finally digging into TMCC in the lead up to halo 5 and playing through Halo 1 for the first time since back in the OG Xbox days.

It's, eh, it's not very fun these days. I only remembered the library section being extremely repetitive but i'll be damned if this game isn't basically the same shit over and over again for the most part. I'm currently on Truth and Reconciliation and how the covenant dont spend 90% of the time scratching their heads trying to figure out where the hell they are in these same-y hallways is beyond me. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 100 year old greyed grunt just aimlessly walking around the ship trying to find the bathroom for the last two decades.

At least the remaster visuals are pretty decent.

yea, no kidding. going back to the old graphics was jarring as hell. i never had an issue with the Library. straight forward and fun. i still don't get the hate for it altho i agree that Bungie's level designs weren't always the best. the enemy AI is still impressive to this day.

Xater

yea, no kidding. going back to the old graphics was jarring as hell. i never had an issue with the Library. straight forward and fun. i still don't get the hate for it altho i agree that Bungie's level designs weren't always the best. the enemy AI is still impressive to this day.

Alone the Library did take a bit too long for what it was. After my first play through though I mostly played it coop and then it usually was still fun.

Nero18

i hope one day someone invents something more fun for detective vision than 'interesting objects glow'

I liked the variation LA Noire had with the vibration of the controller and the musical cues, but that probably only works for a game like that.

Curufinwe

nah, Jeff is into it but he wasn't a fan of the default walking controls. now that the patch is out, he can probably get back into it. Drew would totally get into it, imo. but he never seems to have time for any long games.

oh man, Brad, Dan and Vinny will most likely be fighting for TW3 so it's gonna be a huge favorite for GB GOTY already. not even Jeff can stop that trio, hehe

Brad played a lot more of Bloodborne than The Witcher 3.

http://psnprofiles.com/bradx0r

I liked the variation LA Noire had with the vibration of the controller and the musical cues, but that probably only works for a game like that.

the best part of LA Noire's investigations is Cole rifling through peoples' treasured possessions, twisting them around, and dismissing them as trash.

I wouldn't go that far. I just always thought that part was way better in coop because of how the Flood swarm you in it. It's easier to deal with together and you get through it much faster.

It's just that the argument that a game is better with coop always strikes me as an almost backhanded complement to a game because every single game, from turd to top 5 generation game of all time, is more fun with your friends. So if a campaign has to fall back on "you gotta play it coop!" then that, to me, means it's a poorly designed single player experience. Or a mediocre experience salvaged by coop.

The only time coop is worse is with randos, especially if youre trying to see the story of a game for the first time. Even though the story to DIablo 3 is some generic fantasy crap i was still annoyed whenever someone joined my game and skipped the cutscenes.

the best part of LA Noire's investigations is Cole rifling through peoples' treasured possessions, twisting them around, and dismissing them as trash.
The real best part of LA Noire's investigations is having a suspect run from you and then you can just shoot in the air to make them stop.

i don't think length of time played will determine his GOTY. he spent most of the time in BB dying anyway.

I dunno, the game he played the most this year will probably be DOTA and his GOTY will probably be DOTA.

LiK

Seems like most of the limited time he's spent in TW3 has involved him being annoyed by the games various technical problems.

he had complaints about the technical issues but he also stressed how much he still loved the game anyway in spite of them.

I dunno, the game he played the most this year will probably be DOTA and his GOTY will probably be DOTA.

turns out it'll be Destiny when he plays the TTK, haha

Jothel

I'm maybe 30-40 hours in to the Witcher 3 and I don't think I'm anywhere near the end? I still haven't fully explored the entirety of the Novigrad/Velen map.

Xater

Ok maybe 30-40 hours in to the Witcher 3 and I don't think I'm anywhere near the end? I still haven't fully explored the entirety of the Novigrad/Velen map.

If you just follow the main quest stuff I don't even think you would see the full map.

How many GOTY categories will Brad try to sneak Destiny and/or DOTA 2 into this year?

well, TTK actually looks like it could be the destiny everyone wanted. So if it resolves a bunch of the RNG bullshit and gives the game the content that it desperately needed then maybe destiny 1.5 deserves the love.

I suppose we'll see soon enough

Ok maybe 30-40 hours in to the Witcher 3 and I don't think I'm anywhere near the end? I still haven't fully explored the entirety of the Novigrad/Velen map.
You've not even gone to the third location yet and my understanding is that even after you do the main quest at the third location there's still a lot of the main quest to go.

I really doubt that expansion is going to make Destiny go from a bad game to a good game. I very much look forward to the GB coverage though.

Well vanilla destiny wasn't a bad game, just an incredibly flawed one. The shooting was terrific, it looked really good, but it's got some wicked RNG end game grind bullshit, mission design was shitty, and the content was really lacking.

So TTK seems to be trying to fix a lot of that. Now, the real question is: if they're fixing all of these things then what are they gonna fuck up now instead?

mattp

i fell asleep on the couch last night, watching jeff & drew plays masters of teras kasi
at some point i woke up and they were no longer playing teras kasi, but a tmnt fighting game?
did i dream this up or did it actually happen

i kind of don't want to go back and check, in case it didn't really happen

Xater

This bridge builder unfinished is already great.

i fell asleep on the couch last night, watching jeff & drew plays masters of teras kasi
at some point i woke up and they were no longer playing teras kasi, but a tmnt fighting game?
did i dream this up or did it actually happen

i kind of don't want to go back and check, in case it didn't really happen

They switched games.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really doubt that expansion is going to make Destiny go from a bad game to a good game. I very much look forward to the GB coverage though.
Well I hope it's either terrible or amazing, because I can't listen to a minute more of the "well the shooting is good but there's not much too it except grinding" talk we had hours and hours of.

Yeah I guessed as much, I don't really have a proper reason not to go

I recommend it! Novigrad starts to feel a bit samey, and Skellige mixes things up in a number of ways.

let's talk about la noire some more, now there's a great goddamn game

Amen to that!

Well I hope it's either terrible or amazing, because I can't listen to a minute more of the "well the shooting is good but there's not much too it except grinding" talk we had hours and hours of.

Totally. Guys it's a shooter on a console, the best ones are only mitigating how poor FPS controls are on a gamepad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom