• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
Destiny is already a great game though.

I11xxmq.gif

repeater

well my post about TW3 was referencing how every time brad seems to mention the game he makes it sound less and less technically sound.
Yeah, I was quite surprised when the last time he mentioned it on the Bombcast he described it as "a mess" (or something to that effect) on consoles at launch, whereas I recall them all being quite impressed by it when it came out.

tuxfool

Banned
So when was the last time you played it? October 2014? :)

Until they stop repeating the quests or at least make them interesting then I won't be back. It is a console shooter, so gunplay feels "not good" to me, therefore it isn't a driving factor in that game, neither is loot.

Great? Eeeehhhh.

See, the thing is... LA Noire was a game tailor-fucking-made for me. I was destined to love it. There aren't a lot of people I recommend it to, though.

So if I say I think destiny isn't a very good game are you going to just ask me the last time I've played it? Pretty solid argument

Fella would probably pop his top if he knew I haven't played more than 5 minutes of Destiny.

La Noire is my adventure game version of Bioshock Infinite: An amazing first 5-6 hours and then it peters out and the last 10 hours of the game are not really enjoyable at all.

Xater

People that say Destiny changed into some amazing game after the last two expansions are full of shit. After Gamescom I leveled up a Hunter to 20 because I really enjoyed the TTK mission I got to play. I would like to push my light level further but now it turns into a grind again. They might have slightly sped up the grind but it's still totally there. The amount of repetition you encounter during the grind is of course also not great, especially not if you have another character with which you went through all that already. I think my Titan is level 32. I have hopes for TTK but I am not going to blind buy it. I really need to see that all the missions are as good as the demo I played and that they made the progression more fun.

Liamc723

Hmmm May 19th this year, House of Wolves release date. My thoughts basically are the same as Jeff's on the bombcast back around that time.

Put a lot of time into that expansion then, didn't you?

So if I say I think destiny isn't a very good game are you going to just ask me the last time I've played it? Pretty solid argument

Yes, because that's obviously an important factor. Destiny is a different game now to the one it was last year. It's gone through lots of updates and the expansions have only made things better. The Taken King is shaping up to be fantastic.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
LA Noire is so unique and it tried to push some boundaries that it definitely deserves a sequel, it would probably be a lot better, too. Just like Metal Gear Rising (rip)

Totally. Guys it's a shooter on a console, the best ones are only mitigating how poor FPS controls are on a gamepad.
Not only that, but the oppressive mediocrity of it somehow lead to way too many long and samey discussions about the how-and-why of Destiny in a way that doesn't really happen with other games and I never understood that. Also I'm part of it by expressing that.

daydream

Banned
Great? I haven't really thought about LA Noire since I have finished it.

i have! but i've also been studying and diving deep into noir theory these past few months. even before that, though, i reminded myself of it every couple weeks or so and wishing there were more genuine detective games like that

Great? Eeeehhhh.

sorry, did i say great? i meant to say fantastic

See, the thing is... LA Noire was a game tailor-fucking-made for me. I was destined to love it. There aren't a lot of people I recommend it to, though.

i dunno, i would argue it's a very respectable attempt at making an open world adventure/detective game of which there aren't a lot, and imo it nails all that stuff. but yeah, obviously there's also personal appeal that is responsible for the high reverence i hold for it

being defensive and combative about your favorite game ever isn't the way to try and appeal to those who aren't quite as into it as you are. It comes off as being a bit insecure about the whole thing

tuxfool

Banned
i have! but i've also been studying and diving deep into noir theory these past few months. even before that, though, i reminded myself of it every couple weeks or so and wishing there were more genuine detective games like that

sorry, did i say great? i meant to say fantastic

I suggest you watch this 30 min video. It will allow you to indulge in the "greatness" of LA Noir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Begu2lXc-AI

To note, it is also an interesting video even if one doesn't think LA Noir is great.

Xater

That is something I agree with, but LA Noire is still not great.

Not only that, but the oppressive mediocrity of it somehow lead to way too many long and samey discussions about the how-and-why of Destiny in a way that doesn't really happen with other games and I never understood that. Also I'm part of it by expressing that.

Me too! As much as I dislike Destiny, I sure bring it up a lot.

I love noir fiction. Movies, detective novels, the whole shebang. I have never in my life heard the term "noir theory".

Probably means genre theory and specifically noir. Totally something you might talk about in Film Studies. I know I have.

Ah, yeah. I took some film studies courses in college and we looked at genre theory. As I recall, the common consensus was that Noir is not a film genre, but a thematic and cinematographic style.

Xater

Ah, yeah. I took some film studies courses in college and we looked at genre theory. As I recall, the common consensus was that Noir is not a film genre, but a thematic and cinematographic style.

Yeah, that sounds like what our conclusion was as well. Then I also thought genre in general is kinda bullshit, especially when I tried to apply some of the theories to games.

the cool part about destiny is that it's one of the top ten most expensive games ever made and phantasy star online 2 has way more interesting combat and much more content

speaking of novigrad, i'm also interested to see if anybody will ever solve the problem of cities either being hand-crafted but too small (Oblivion's "Capital City" with like 80 people in it) or really big but with only specified points of interest in a sea of big block geometry (GTAs, Saints Row etc).

You mean like... Novigrad? I feel like it's the perfect example of what you're describing, for an openworld RPG it is massive, but incredibly detailed with all the interiors etc.

daydream

Banned
being defensive and combative about your favorite game ever isn't the way to try and appeal to those who aren't quite as into it as you are. It comes off as being a bit insecure about the whole thing

if this is aimed at me, i didn't mean to come off as defensive or combative, at all

i really do love the game but i remember reading accounts of people's playthroughs and the trouble they were having with stuff like the investigations, reading suspects during the interrogations, the ending, etc. and i totally see where they were coming from

it just clicked with me, i didn't run into any of those problems and found the ending portion to be very expertly executed, one certainly can't accuse the team of a lack of noir connoiseurship, that stuff was very cool without being derivative

Yeah, that sounds like what our conclusion was as well. Then I also thought genre in general is kinda bullshit, especially when I tried to apply some of the theories to games.

Yeah I agree with that. Worrying about genre is a silly thing.

if this is aimed at me, i didn't mean to come off as defensive or combative, at all

i really do love the game but i remember reading accounts of people's playthroughs and the trouble they were having with stuff like the investigations, reading suspects during the interrogations, the ending, etc. and i totally see where they were coming from

it just clicked with me, i didn't run into any of those problems and found the ending portion to be very expertly executed, one certainly can't accuse the team of a lack of noir connoiseurship, that stuff was very cool without being derivative

It clicked with me too. Once or twice a year I install LA Noire and play through a few cases. I think the overarching story was pretty stilted at times, but the individual cases are fucking great.

well it really was directed at the destiny defense force but i suppose it can be applied to all

most of what people consider "genre" is actually "style" anyway. there's just not a real necessity to try to realign the general population's vocabulary.

Xater

most of what people consider "genre" is actually "style" anyway. there's just not a real necessity to try to realign the general population's vocabulary.

We were not talking about the general term though, but the way it's used in academics. The way it's generally used it's fine. It's a shortcut to sum up what kinda to suspect. Genre in academics I just came away with as being really dumb.

We were not talking about the general term though, but the way it's used in academics. The way it's generally used it's fine. It's a shortcut to sum up what kinda to suspect. Genre in academics I just came away with as being really dumb.

that's the kind of funny thing about higher education in general. the more you learn, the less likely you are to nitpick things because you learn that nothing is concrete and it doesn't matter.

grammar pricks are almost certainly never language majors because they haven't learned the futility of grammatical structure

daydream

Banned
Probably means genre theory and specifically noir. Totally something you might talk about in Film Studies. I know I have.

yup, it's that. although as you've both already pointed out, the majority of theorists have long moved past the 'genre' classification for noir, treating it as more of a transgeneric phenomenon, as well as a certain style (like SL said) and historical movement, even as philosophy of sorts. books from andrew spicer are essential reading in this regard if you wanna keep up with recent developments, although, as always, going through the research history is a worthwhile way to go, just to understand how complex the field really is. a consensus is certainly not on the horizon.

I suggest you watch this 30 min video. It will allow you to indulge in the "greatness" of LA Noir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Begu2lXc-AI

To note, it is also an interesting video even if one doesn't think LA Noir is great.

thanks, will do!

let's not get into genre theory, lol. talk about a theoretical discourse that is as necessary as it is superfluous.
and i disagree btw but i also don't really care :p

KingKong

I'm really loving that pretty much every GBEast ql has all three of them on it. The moment at 35 minutes in Poly Bridge is incredible

Xater

That "Fuck Bridges" replay killed me.

that's the kind of funny thing about higher education in general. the more you learn, the less likely you are to nitpick things because you learn that nothing is concrete and it doesn't matter.

grammar pricks are almost certainly never language majors because they haven't learned the futility of grammatical structure

Totally. You also learn how theories might change over time or can become outdated, but can still be used for valid points.

Totally. You also learn how theories might change over time or can become outdated, but can still be used for valid points.

once you learn that you can prove that double negatives in speech don't always become a positive - and are frequently grammatically correct as an exaggerated negative - you both question your choice of major and life decisions in general

justjim89

I love this game so much I can't stop not playing it.

Also, I think Dan will have MGSV as his #1.

Well yeah. There could be a part of MGSV where the screen goes black and David Hayter says "Fuck you, Dan Ryckert, you ignorant backwards piece of shit." over and over again for an hour and a half and Dan would still put it as his GOTY.

I think Fallout will take GOTY from Witcher, if not that then MGSV.

tchocky

Well yeah. There could be a part of MGSV where the screen goes black and David Hayter says "Fuck you, Dan Ryckert, you ignorant backwards piece of shit." over and over again for an hour and a half and Dan would still put it as his GOTY.

I think Fallout will take GOTY from Witcher, if not that then MGSV.

I don't see Witcher making top 3 instead of Fallout, MGSV or the number 1 of Super Mario Maker.

KingKong

watching this part of Metal Gear Scanlon 4 just reminds me of how good Metal Gear Scanlon 1 was, the other series have their moments but MGS1 was great from start to finish

I said it yesterday but it deserves to be repeated, GOTY discussions are going to be great this year. We've already got a number of candidates for discussion and there are still a bunch of games due out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom