• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Xater, are you ranking this fighter

Because you should step back and leave that to the professionals.

You are right, I am so sorry.

They should probably take a look at the NES version too then. I remember it being surprisingly decent given the controller and system. It could probably knock Masters of Teras Kasi down a spot.

I could see Biofreaks knocking it down, so that's not an achievement. ;)

Anyone here live in Hawaii? Might be moving there within the year, does the sunshine and tourism get old?

My brother was stationed in Hawaii for a couple of years. He said it's pretty easy to avoid the touristy areas. He did not like how expensive everything was.

Also, there's not as much sunshine as you may be expecting. Be prepared for rain, daily.

I have so much to say about the halo lore but I'm on my phone so I can't say it now

Basically I can echo the sentiments that it's wonderful up until 4 came out and they basically had nowhere to go but into forerunner stuff.

Like, the books about the human/covenant war before the halo incident are great. I really enjoyed contact harvest.

My favorite halo book Is actually ghosts of onyx, because Kurt is a pretty cool character. I get the guys complaints about master chief because he's really not fleshed out in the games very well at all, and he's pretty boring in comparison to the rest of the Spartan-IIs that get covered in the books. It's always mentioned that John was never the best Spartan, just kind of lucky. I don't know if they've retconned that or not.

Also I think ghosts of onyx got retconned a little bit because it's basically entirely about the Spartan III program, which are what we saw in Halo Reach, but the IIIs in the book are nothing like the IIIs in the game.

Also I'm just now remembering that the Spartan program was initially conceived to fight human separatist terrorists. Man halo lore is neat.

My favorite halo book Is actually ghosts of onyx, because Kurt is a pretty cool character. I get the guys complaints about master chief because he's really not fleshed out in the games very well at all, and he's pretty boring in comparison to the rest of the Spartan-IIs that get covered in the books. It's always mentioned that John was never the best Spartan, just kind of lucky. I don't know if they've retconned that or not.

Also I think ghosts of onyx got retconned a little bit because it's basically entirely about the Spartan III program, which are what we saw in Halo Reach, but the IIIs in the book are nothing like the IIIs in the game.

Also I'm just now remembering that the Spartan program was initially conceived to fight human separatist terrorists. Man halo lore is neat.

Ghosts of Onyx is the best, so much so I stopped reading Halo novels afterwords :|

haha its good to hear the guys on upf saying sf5 actually looks really great and nothing like 4. every time that came up on the bombcast, i'd get that itch to be a maniac and yell at my car stereo. NO YOU GUYS ARE WRONG ABOUT THIS THING I CARE ABOUT

that game is fucking GORGEOUS

To be fair it was only around the time it was announced that they said it looked similar, any time it's come up recently they've said that once you look at in person it looks great.

Dan "Turn on the J-Pop Track" Ryckert.

His face while the song was playing was great.

I love the lore/backstories of sci-fi games (especially Halo and Mass Effect), but the one that I think is undervalued is Killzone. The games are fine (I love them), but they are not Halo or Mass Effect. The backstory, however, I feel is some of the most realistic in tone. I think the reason for that is, while Halo's and Mass Effect's backstories predate humanity (Halo with the forerunner stuff and Mass Effect with just about every other species), Killzone's backstory actually starts in the not too distant future. From what I understand, Guerrilla Games hired a Hollywood writer to map out the backstory, unfortunately, all evidence of the backstory has been wiped from the Killzone website. As such, I think it's non-canonical now. If only they had that guy write the script of the games too. They have seemingly ignored all the intricate detail this guy put into the backstory, some of which really make you sympathetic for the citizens of Helghan (the leaders are still horrible people) and add something really meaningful. I honestly would read a book based in that era of Killzone. Here is that backstory in timeline form: http://killzone.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline (the writer's contributions end Killzone 1 begins) and a thread on NeoGAF about it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517012 (So many of the posts echo my thoughts: Guerrilla had something special to work from and completely ignored it).

- J - D -

I actually took the time in the weeks leading up to the PS4 launch and Killzone Shadowfall release to read through the very dense and intricate Killzone universe timeline and mythology. It's quite interesting a read. It's a shame then that the games themselves are really only tiny blips of events that happen in larger picture.

They had 5 games, 5 tries, but somehow squandered the richly drawn history of that universe every single time.

Keeps any kind of hype I have for Horizon in perspective. I don't have the confidence that Guerrilla is up to the task, at least in this regard.

I actually took the time in the weeks leading up to the PS4 launch and Killzone Shadowfall release to read through the very dense and intricate Killzone universe timeline and mythology. It's quite interesting a read. It's a shame then that the games themselves are really only tiny blips of events that happen in larger picture.

They had 4 games, 4 tries, but somehow squandered the richly drawn history of that universe every single time.

Keeps any kind of hype I have for Horizon in perspective.

They hired a writer that worked on Fallout: New Vegas to write Horizon. People were very happy about that. I can't comment either way, as I never played New Vegas to know if the script in that game was any good.

Also, as for the lore, the beginning of KZ3 did a good job explaining the effects of Helghan on its people, how it shaped them into who they are. How it made them stronger. The timeline went into this further, saying the many of the weaker people died off of what was called "Lung Burn". Those that survived adapted to their surroundings and became more immune to the harsh environments.

tuxfool

Banned
They hired a writer that worked on Fallout: New Vegas to write Horizon. People were very happy about that. I can't comment either way, as I never played New Vegas to know if the script in that game was any good.

It is an Obsidian game. It is well written, as are most of their games.

- J - D -

Also, as for the lore, the beginning of KZ3 did a good job explaining the effects of Helghan on its people, how it shaped them into who they are. How it made them stronger. The timeline went into this further, saying the many of the weaker people died off of what was called "Lung Burn". Those that survived adapted to their surroundings and became more immune to the harsh environments.

The writing in New Vegas was well received, moreso than that of Fallout 3. Makes sense, Obsidian did New Vegas. I'm hoping that this will be good for Horizon the game, and not just ancillary lore you can read outside of the game.

As for Killzone, I've always liked the detail they put in to the development of Helghan civilization, and the rise of Visari (the latter of which gets little to no time in the games).

The writing in New Vegas was well received, moreso than that of Fallout 3. Makes sense, Obsidian did New Vegas. I'm hoping that this will be good for Horizon the game, and not just ancillary lore you can read outside of the game.

As for Killzone, I've always liked the detail they put in to the development of Helghan civilization, and the rise of Visari (the latter of which gets little to no time in the games).

Even though it is essentially a thinly veiled allegory for the rise of Hitler, it was still compelling, partially due to those intense speeches they gave him. His speech from KZ2, coupled with the imagery of the failed assault, was quite striking. The writing and voice acting for the Helghast have all been great. Colonel Radec was terrifyingly awesome. I loved the look of the Helghast soldiers in the PS3 trilogy. In Shadow Fall, they still looked cool, but were not as intimidating as they were in the first 3 games.

strafer

yeaaah baby

xKfI7wV.png

Dizzy-4U

I was listening to an old HotSpot podcast today and Vinny kinda implied that he did some Dragon Ball music videos for recreation in the past.

Also, I usually dislike when the community gets involved with the duders in livestreams, events and such....but the HotSpot recorded phone calls are hilarious and probably my favorite part of the show now.

FluxWaveZ

I was listening to an old HotSpot podcast today and Vinny kinda implied that he did some Dragon Ball music videos for recreation in the past.

I think they went into a discussion of that pretty extensively in a past Bombcast. Perhaps in the same one where they were discussing the silly videos Drew made before becoming a video producer.

Dizzy-4U

I think they went into a discussion of that pretty extensively in a past Bombcast. Perhaps in the same one where they were discussing the silly videos Drew made before becoming a video producer.
Oh, I must've missed that somehow. Hopefully he'll say fuck it and upload them one day. We all had our dark moments.

Falifax

Also, I usually dislike when the community gets involved with the duders in livestreams, events and such....but the HotSpot recorded phone calls are hilarious and probably my favorite part of the show now.

From the Sony fanboy rant to the Xbox 360 or Knives dilemma, The Hotspot truly had some great calls.

Zaph

Man, it's only been a week of daily episodes, but MGS has me pining for the Endurance Run days.

Might be time for another P4 rewatch to fill the gap until MGS5.

- J - D -

Even though it is essentially a thinly veiled allegory for the rise of Hitler, it was still compelling, partially due to those intense speeches they gave him. His speech from KZ2, coupled with the imagery of the failed assault, was quite striking. The writing and voice acting for the Helghast have all been great. Colonel Radec was terrifyingly awesome. I loved the look of the Helghast soldiers in the PS3 trilogy. In Shadow Fall, they still looked cool, but were not as intimidating as they were in the first 3 games.

See, I didn't really get as much from Radec as a lot of other folks apparently did at the time. I mean, his boss fight was great, but I honestly don't remember much of him as a character. Granted, I'm pretty much of the "okay, as long as it's not Rico" mindset when it comes to Killzone characters.

I really liked that fight though.

See, I didn't really get as much from Radec as a lot of other folks apparently did at the time. I mean, his boss fight was great, but I honestly don't remember much of him as a character. Granted, I'm pretty much of the "okay, as long as it's not Rico" mindset when it comes to Killzone characters.

I really liked that fight though.

His presence was great. Fun fact, the voice actor (Sean Pertwee) also voiced Hakha in KZ1. I loved this bit with Hakha and (ugh) Rico in KZ1: KILLZONE story Part 14 Shakespeare and a Monkey .

I had no idea Hakha was voiced by the guy who now plays Alfred on Gotham. That's pretty great. I always thought KZ1 had surprisingly good voice acting for its time.

Nobody likes Rico.

I think he did a better job as Radec, though. I actually had a theory once (before KZ2 released) that Radec was Hakha. When I saw they shared the same voice actor, I wondered if Radec was in fact Hakha deep undercover for the ISA.

Volotaire

When is last episode? I have not been following it.

It should be tomorrow (or today for PT).
Vinny should really play Hacknet. It's completely up his alley.

Hey, you're back!

Does mgs4 have a bit of dynamic difficulty? I noticed in shadow mosses where the tank is with all those hand things they didn't respawn for him but when I did it they kept respawning. The same with the room with trap doors and that bow level. I killed those geckos but they kept respawning.

It seems so. Having played all the MGS's on hard, I've seen some differences in 2 and 4. With the bomb defusal part in 2, there were twice as many bombs to defuse. In 4, there were a few more patrols for Act 3.

Using the Mk.3 in that section makes it really simple.

It was still a bit tricky when you are OCD about retrieving all the items in the area such as the unlock able ipod music at the front. Besides, it's still a bit silly to allow gamesdesign where an alert means restart the mission (it should allow the player to complete it even when it has been alerted).

Megasoum

Banned

I've fell into a "Related video" bottomless pit again and stumbled upon this one that I had completely forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDoj37bYkc

I can't even remember where the original China don't care comes from lol.

Edit: Ah right, found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnBmShaSz7k

This is great!!! Haven't heard that theme in a while.

Also, is 3 hours a hard limit as far as the length of the videos they upload? I feel like Dan or someone mentioned it a few months ago.

They like to cut the live show's archives in 2 hours chunks but I don't think there's an actual limit on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom