• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be symbolic is they do Ground Zeroes on Thursday, as that is the one year anniversary of the start of Metal Gear Scanlon and it would be the "end", since it would be all the available games (with The Phantom Pain still not out yet and it seems they'd do an overview of Peace Walker). I do hope, though, they do something with The Phantom Pain.

Also, Dan didn't mention this, but the end credits music (the real end credits) is a reorchestrated (by Harry Gregson-Williams) version of the song from the opening of Ground Zeroes. I've said this before, I believe the usage of the song is no accident. It makes it clear that Metal Gear is (and has always been) Big Boss's story.

They've always been iffy about playing full play through of recent games on the site, but yknow, I don't think Konami will be too hurt about it if they did.

half of konami wouldn't care because it's a video game and the other half has far bigger things to worry about.

Zebetite

Banned
Naomi's plan to tell snake that he shouldn't kill hinself was to not actually tell him at any point that she could've told him but to leave a message for a comatose big boss who had to go find the boss's old gun and break zero out of some illuminati nursing home and then go to a graveyard just in time to stop snake and explain that ocelot was pretending to be liquid and trick computers into believing in ghosts because ???? and then he kills zero just for shits because ones turn into hundreds and they come from zeroes which is not how numbers work I think but the dude probably has severe brain damage so I'll cut him slack because he managed to fit his entire speech in perfectly before the foxdie went off that the patriots put into snake to kill big boss because apparently the AIs predicted he'd be freed somehow

naomi planned all this because she was too busy planning to kill herself for the sin of working on nanotechnology which was eventually used in horrifying fashions like stopping cancer symptoms and making people immortal with a cure if they ever want to die, which are bad things to do as a doctor I guess

raiden also couldn't do it either because raiden was busy being fooled into thinking that his girlfriend left him for an old man and then they had a kid who was the exact age as raiden and rose's would be and looks exactly like a tiny raiden with a worse haircut. this was to fool the patriots who I'm 99% sure saw through this stupid ass ruse immediately but didn't really care because why would they

all this happened because ocelot had a plan to manipulate snake by constantly trying to kill him but that was all necessary to fool people because he was possessed by a ghost but then didn't want to be possessed but then hypnotized himself with nanomachines to think he was possessed which was necessary to do ????????

big mama jumped on the burning boat when she knew it was solidus

metal gear solid has always been poorly written tho :')

edit: "I think the info-dump at the end of MGS2 was awful, but here they nailed it"
"Oh absolutely"

as soon as i knew scanlon 4 was happening, i knew this day was coming. i failed to properly prepare myself.

ST2K

I said in this thread when Metal Gear Scanlon started that they shouldn't play all 4 games because that would be drawn out and dumb.

I was wrong. What a great series.

I still think the perfect way to follow up Metal Gear Scanlon is to let Drew enjoy MGSV on his own and for the site they do a spin off for the spin off game.

Metal Gear Brad: Revengeance.

hamchan

I like that Big Boss just has to come out one last time and confirm that this entire series is about him, he is the main character, and he is the coolest too.

I like that Big Boss just has to come out one last time and confirm that this entire series is about him, he is the main character, and he is the coolest too.

I can see why Jeff hates him. Big Boss is what Jeff wants to be. It's why Jeff created the Dr Tracksuit persona. Without limitations through this persona, Jeff can make everything about him through Tracksuit.

Jeff is Zero. Tracksuit is Big Boss. Jeff wants to be Big Boss. And that is why Jeff hates Big Boss.

They've always been iffy about playing full play through of recent games on the site, but yknow, I don't think Konami will be too hurt about it if they did.
My dream is for them to play through it in secret, and then release it at the end of the year or something out of nowhere. It's probably a pipe dream, but it'd be cool.

At the very least I hope we get a MGS V spoilercast with as many GB staff members as possible.

Jintor

Even with all these prequels I don't really understand how Zero went from "CIA will step on my neck if we fail operation snake eater" to "lol i control america also the world"

even with the philosopher's legacy... i mean, that's just money...

Really hope Drew looks up a story walkthrough of PW or something first before they tackle on GZ. Like Drew is gonna be so lost. Well, even more lost than usual.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Even with all these prequels I don't really understand how Zero went from "CIA will step on my neck if we fail operation snake eater" to "lol i control america also the world"

even with the philosopher's legacy... i mean, that's just money...

C.R.E.A.M dawg.

It's all about dat cream dream.

Zebetite

Banned
metal gear rising is far and away the best metal gear came post-MGS3 and it is a god damn tragedy that jeff is the only person on staff who (as far as we know) has finished it (did dan end up finishing it??)

at least jeff appreciates its raw beauty...

Stranger I Remain > Rules of Nature.

YEAH I SAID IT.

i can back this

Jintor

the best part about mgr (besides the general vibe of the whole thing) is that it's like kojima just had an idea and handed it off to someone else who looked at it and said "Hmm, if we chop up this, and move this around, and put all this stuff into codec entries, and then go completely fucking ludicrous with the bosses, we can make this work and not be long and drawn out bullshit"

instead it's concise bullshit.

Harpuia

I've always understood Liquid Ocelot as Kojima going "Oh FUCK I LOVE THIS CHARACTER. NO NO NO, RE-DO, RE-DO, AW FUCK I WANT TO BRING HIM BACK."

Like I feel that he wanted to use Liquid but couldn't because, oops, killed him!!!

I've always understood Liquid Ocelot as Kojima going "Oh FUCK I LOVE THIS CHARACTER. NO NO NO, RE-DO, RE-DO, AW FUCK I WANT TO BRING HIM BACK."

Like I feel that he wanted to use Liquid but couldn't because, oops, killed him!!!

IIRC, that's basically what he's said on the matter. He realized after MGS1 that people loved Liquid, and if he had realized he wouldn't have killed him off.

I read it as "well, I want ocelot to be the main villain, but I also want Liquid to be the main villain, so let's just make 'em the same person."

Some of the original drafts for MGS2's plot had Liquid miraculously surviving or being revived in non arm form, IIRC.

Phatmac

Well yeah it's pretty much his story. Snake is just some clone that takes care of everything while big boss is being all cool with the patriot.

Harpuia

IIRC, that's basically what he's said on the matter. He realized after MGS1 that people loved Liquid, and if he had realized he wouldn't have killed him off.

I read it as "well, I want ocelot to be the main villain, but I also want Liquid to be the main villain, so let's just make 'em the same person."

I think this has the overarching result of messing up the story(info-dump?) MGS wants to tell. I don't roll my eyes over this weird ideology preachy nonsense story Kojima wants to tell me, but EVERYTIME Ocelot's doppelganger business is mentioned, my eyes roll out of my head...

Just finished it. So glad they decided to do the four main games, it's been incredibly entertaining from start to finish.

Regarding the end revelation about Liquid Ocelot, I always just assumed it was Ocelot being the son of The Sorrow and him inheriting a bit of his medium powers to "communicate" with Liquid in a way (in addition to nanos and psychotherapy), or something like that.

That's one thing I wish they would've done more was just commit to magic and mysticism being a thing in that world. There comes a point where nanomachines being the cause of everything becomes just as preposterous as magic.

LiK

the fact that Platinum used nanomachines as the explanation for one of the most ridiculous bosses in MGR shows how much it became a bit of a joke.

Zebetite

Banned
i am hard on metal gear solid because i love metal gear solid and want it to be the best it can be (so, i want it to be MGS2 and MGS3 in perpetuity)

all my shitposting about MGS4 being the most disappointing game i've ever played aside, i'm very glad this series (as in MGScanlon) happened. it has been truly magical to watch drew immerse himself so readily in this series and so openly enjoy it.

it's like that heartwarming feeling you get at the end of the P4ER when its clear how much jeff and vinny came to adore it. except nearly every episode had comedy-of-errors gameplay mistakes that make bufu look pro. those were a lot of fun.

I think this has the overarching result of messing up the story(info-dump?) MGS wants to tell. I don't roll my eyes over this weird ideology preachy nonsense story Kojima wants to tell me, but EVERYTIME Ocelot's doppelganger business is mentioned, my eyes roll out of my head...

I mean, have you read that "worst MGS plot twist" thread on the gaming side? It's 99% complaining about the arm.

Which, I don't blame anyone. It's totally stupid and it otherwise ruins A LOT of stuff!

yami4ct

Big Boss is a whiny Anakin Skywalker who died a failure

Pretty much. I honestly don't find Big Boss or Solid to be that interesting or cool. Sure, they're super spies, but any personality trait they do have sucks. Big Boss is a sexist asshole and Solid is a dude born and raised not to have any sort of personality. Solid gets a bit more interesting trying to defy that in 4, but not by much. It's the supporting cast that makes MG awesome.

See, even Big Boss admitted that Snake wouldn't have been the colossal fuck up that he himself was if Snake was in his shoes. Who was gonna pick up the trash and deliver the mail in Outer Heaven?

Zebetite

Banned
Pretty much. I honestly don't find Big Boss or Solid to be that interesting or cool. Sure, they're super spies, but any personality trait they do have sucks. Big Boss is a sexist asshole and Solid is a dude born and raised not to have any sort of personality. Solid gets a bit more interesting trying to defy that in 4, but not by much. It's the supporting cast that makes MG awesome.

big boss in mgs3 (so, naked snake) is really goofy and fun a lot of the time. he has a weirdly dumb persona that comes through in a lot of the radio calls (dracula, cardboard box, naked camo, etc etc) and small moments in cutscenes like when he sees that beehive above a guard's head or ocelot tries to poke out his missing eye and he just cracks a sick grin

Jintor

it's like that heartwarming feeling you get at the end of the P4ER when its clear how much jeff and vinny came to adore it. except nearly every episode had comedy-of-errors gameplay mistakes that make bufu look pro. those were a lot of fun.

exactly what i was thinking. it really is the fun bit of these ERs, the team coming to like the games

Ya know.

I am surprised they never retconed the Arms Tech president from MGS1 into some other character like they did with the DARPA chief.

Maybe in V.....

bah, Solid is still a pretty cool guy.

Dude spent his entire professional career just being a pawn for various master plans though. That sucks.

yami4ct

big boss in mgs3 (so, naked snake) is really goofy and fun a lot of the time. he has a weirdly dumb persona that comes through in a lot of the radio calls (dracula, cardboard box, naked camo, etc etc) and small moments in cutscenes like when he sees that beehive above a guard's head or ocelot tries to poke out his missing eye and he just cracks a sick grin

He's fun sometimes, but for me a few funny moments can't counteract multiple games of him just being a big, pretty boring, asshole.

I could honestly never take any of Metal Gear's plot seriously just because of how stupid it can get at points. I kinda just let things go with the flow and try to follow this weird ass story Kojima is trying to spin. Not saying anything here is above criticism, just that I enjoy it too much to really care to nitpick its stupidity, since its all kind of stupid.

MGS3 is perf tho.

If Drew watches the video Dan told him to watch, he should be prepared.

Didn't see the episode, but that's good. Want Drew to get as much enjoyment as possible and be able to know everything in time for 5.

Harpuia

The other most troubling part of this nonsense is Zero's sudden involvement in everything bad the Patriots became. I haven't played Portable Ops and Peace Walker. But I feel that they should have made that more apparent before MGS4??? Instead Zero was behind it all!!!!!

I need to fucking read a book..I love MGS but aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ya know.

I am surprised they never retconed the Arms Tech president from MGS1 into some other character like they did with the DARPA chief.

There's still time in MGSV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom