• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
every time i bring up portable ops, people tell me it's not important, but every time I read a wiki, it seems like it's the game that covers zero founding the patriots and big boss getting the idea for outer heaven.

edit: btw the mk. ii/iii is the best character in mgs4

- J - D -

Huh? eh, uh, ha, uh? nuh, hah, eh? huh, hehe, huh, guh, eh, guhguhguh, huh? Huh? eh, uh, ha, uh? nuh, hah, eh? huh, hehe, huh, guh, eh, Huh? eh, uh, ha, uh? nuh, hah, eh? huh, hehe, huh, guh, eh, Huh? eh, uh, ha, uh? nuh, hah, eh? huh, hehe, huh, guh, eh, guhguhguh, huh?

If you close your eyes and listen to all the grunts and other utterances during the wedding scene, it's like you listening to the characters talking from a Sims game.

Anyway, after watching MGScanlon, I actually like MGS4 just a little more than I did when I played it back in 2008, and I'm glad the series ended with Drew being really into it.

yami4ct

I could honestly never take any of Metal Gear's plot seriously just because of how stupid it can get at points. I kinda just let things go with the flow and try to follow this weird ass story Kojima is trying to spin. Not saying anything here is above criticism, just that I enjoy it too much to really care to nitpick its stupidity, since its all kind of stupid.

That's easily where I'm at as well. It's also why I don't like 3 as much as some. I just don't like Big Boss very much as well, I thought the more serious story was super boring compared to 2 and I found all the management stuff to be tedious as hell. The Boss is amazing, but everything else that came from that is bleh.

I like that Kojima at least tries to tackle serious themes in a major game. That's really cool. I just also love his stupid, weird ass, overly complex narrative. When Kojima takes himself too seriously, we get Ground Zeroes. The most awful and disgusting thing he's ever written. Really makes me worried about 5 from a narrative standpoint.

LiK

Huh? eh, uh, ha, uh? nuh, hah, eh? huh, hehe, huh, guh, eh, guhguhguh, huh? Huh? eh, uh, ha, uh? nuh, hah, eh? huh, hehe, huh, guh, eh, Huh? eh, uh, ha, uh? nuh, hah, eh? huh, hehe, huh, guh, eh, Huh? eh, uh, ha, uh? nuh, hah, eh? huh, hehe, huh, guh, eh, guhguhguh, huh?

If you close your eyes and listen to all the grunts and other utterances during, it's like you listening to the characters talking from a Sims game.

a lot of those stupid sounds are usually absent in the JPN dub. i dunno why English localizers feel the need to add all those stupid noises. it's like they don't want it to be too quiet or something. it happens in other games as well.

The other most troubling part of this nonsense is Zero's sudden involvement in everything bad the Patriots became. Given I haven't played Portable Ops and Peace Walker. But I feel that they should have made that more apparent before MGS4??? Instead Zero was behind it all!!!!!

Portable Ops, though its canonicty is under debate, had a brief "hey kids make sure to get MGS4!!" teaser in the form of Ocelot hinting in a very contrived and unnatural way that Zero was pulling strings to help found the Patriots.

Peace Walker has a lot of tapes and stuff hinting that the proto-Patriots already exist and Big Boss left them over ideology and possibly disgust at the LET project happening without his consent. The whole true ending path is what sets up GZ/MGSV by taking the relationship from "estranged" to "we will fucking destroy you if you don't obey" levels.

Harpuia

every time i bring up portable ops, people tell me it's not important, but every time I read a wiki, it seems like it's the game that covers zero founding the patriots and big boss getting the idea for outer heaven.

IIRC, (Ops spoilers)
Ops is definitely what gives them the idea of outer heaven. It also lets us learn a little about Frank Jaeger
. And Peace walker
is the beginnings of the AI idea for the Patriots. Also Miller joins in on the fun in this one because reasons???????

Zebetite

Banned
That's easily where I'm at as well. It's also why I don't like 3 as much as some. I just don't like Big Boss very much as well, I thought the more serious story was super boring compared to 2 and I found all the management stuff to be tedious as hell. The Boss is amazing, but everything else that came from that is bleh.

I like that Kojima at least tries to tackle serious themes in a major game. That's really cool. I just also love his stupid, weird ass, overly complex narrative. When Kojima takes himself too seriously, we get Ground Zeroes. The most awful and disgusting thing he's ever written. Really makes me worried about 5 from a narrative standpoint.

i would argue that kojima is at his best when he's taking himself seriously and at his worst when he's taking the world seriously

he does a very good job weaving some of his own weird ideas and concerns and anxieties into his stories but as soon as he tries to tackle very serious real world issues that exist entirely outside himself he either gets extremely lucky (internet censorship) or falls flat on his face so to speak (lots of stuff)

if Kojima made it, it's relevant.

Kojima didn't make it; the Zero founding the Patriots thing is an Ocelot post credits thing where's all AH SO YOU THE MAN WHOSE CODENAME IS SYNONYMOUS WITH NULL WHO IS ANOTHER CHARACTER... LET'S FOUND THE PATRIOTS LOL; the idea that Outer Heaven was something that Big Boss stole from another guy is stupid and unnecessary, Peace Walker sets up Outer Heaven as an extension of Big Boss's beliefs post MGS3 just fine without it.

neshcom

Banned
The whole Naomi thing sort of messes with the plot, but MGS is really an amazing action/sci-fi narrative at the end of the day. With as uncertain as sequels are, the fact that the plot almost entirely stands up from beginning to end without too much stupid retconning is a triumph.

I would've loved more Solid Snake entries, but I honestly can't wait to see a new epic from Kojima emerge.

yami4ct

Evangelion has a less convoluted plot than MGS.

Given that the overarching plot of both is basically the creators saying "fuck you" to any of their fans, their actually closer alternatively than I think most would give them credit for.

Oh man, the rants I have against Evangelion and its fanbase that I can't have here in fear of being an asshole and getting banned.

Hey, just know that the Eva's creator probably agrees with you.

- J - D -

a lot of those stupid sounds are usually absent in the JPN dub. i dunno why English localizers feel the need to add all those stupid noises. it's like they don't want it to be too quiet or something. it happens in other games as well.

I never knew that. How bizarre. I'm looking on imdb and can't find the English voice director, but I'm assuming Kojima had some input.

Also while we are discussing major plot points.

They have already started cloning Big Boss before the events of Peace Walker.

I am not sure if Big Boss knows by then but there is a tape in there.

Boy. I hope MGSV actually goes head on with some of the BB vrs Zero stuff. In Portable Ops and Peace Walker that entire plot is just window dressing for a "Big Boss fights some random bad guy" story.

Harpuia

Portable Ops, though its canonicty is under debate, had a brief "hey kids make sure to get MGS4!!" teaser in the form of Ocelot hinting in a very contrived and unnatural way that Zero was pulling strings to help found the Patriots.

Peace Walker has a lot of tapes and stuff hinting that the proto-Patriots already exist and Big Boss left them over ideology and possibly disgust at the LET project happening without his consent. The whole true ending path is what sets up GZ/MGSV by taking the relationship from "estranged" to "we will fucking destroy you if you don't obey" levels.

Interesting. At least they try to make amends and realize that shoehorning Zero as the mastermind for everything in MGS isn't the best idea. I wonder if that's a result of needing a reason to give us more Big Boss Adventures.

From the silly things we've seen so far in PP, I'm not worried about it being 100% gritty and serious. I mean, its gonna be a lot darker than typical Metal Gear, but that's for obvious reasons, since this is the turning point for BB's character.

yami4ct

Boy. I hope MGSV actually goes head on with some of the BB vrs Zero stuff. In Portable Ops and Peace Walker that entire plot is just window dressing for a "Big Boss fights some random bad guy" story.

I'm just hoping that MGSV has a story bigger than Big Boss get's betrayed, Big Boss builds Outer Heaven, Big Boss kills bad guy. At this point, it's not looking good on that front.

From the silly things we've seen so far in PP, I'm not worried about it being 100% gritty and serious. I mean, its gonna be a lot darker than typical Metal Gear, but that's for obvious reasons, since this is the turning point for BB's character.

I'm not worried about it being 100% serious. I'm worried about the "darker" stuff being done in a way that's just gross and not interesting. The
rape torture and uterus bomb
of Ground Zeroes was wholly unnecessary and basically completely ruined that game's narrative for me.

Harpuia

I'm just hoping that MGSV has a story bigger than Big Boss get's betrayed, Big Boss builds Outer Heaven, Big Boss kills bad guy. At this point, it's not looking good on that front.

I'm wondering what even is the story. Everything I hear about Phantom Pain is that the game PLAYS great, and little about the story. Given that perhaps no one is that far into the story or can say anything about what happens. Whatever the case, glad MGSV plays extremely well. I loved the way MGS4 played...even though gameplay is a sliver of the game.

Also while we are discussing major plot points.

They have already started cloning Big Boss before the events of Peace Walker.

I am not sure if Big Boss knows by then but there is a tape in there.

Dan seems under the impression that Big Boss's coma at the beginning of MGSV is when they take his genes and start cloning him.

Considering how old LET are in the trailers we've seen, and how long Big Boss is in that coma, the timeline kinda matches up for that?

- J - D -

Man, watching the graveyard scene before Big Boss rolled in, the part with Snake putting the gun in his mouth would've been the perfect way to end the series. Cut to black.

I really wish Kojima was brave enough to let Snake die like he originally wanted.

Yea that as well.

I got lots of concerns about MGSV.

Dan seems under the impression that Big Boss's coma at the beginning of MGSV is when they take his genes and start cloning him.

Considering how old LET are in the trailers we've seen, and how long Big Boss is in that coma, the timeline kinda matches up for that?

There is a tape in Peace Walker that confirmed the first 2 clones.

Not sure if was mentioned that THAT was the straw the broke up Zero and BB though.

In Dan's defense, it's hard to keep track of all of Big Boss' comas.

I'm not worried about it being 100% serious. I'm worried about the "darker" stuff being done in a way that's just gross and not interesting. The
rape torture and uterus bomb
of Ground Zeroes was wholly unnecessary and basically completely ruined that game's narrative for me.

Oh, I definitely agree. If its just shit that's not really different from something like the B&B backstories then it'd be a disappointment. I have faith in Kojima because he certainly hits way more than he misses so I'm not worried at all about MGS5. At the least, it'll be really interesting and play like a dream.

MGS3's ending timeline and all materials make it clear that Solid and Liquid were born in 1972, two years before Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. So if that's the case, it's a retcon.

yami4ct

Yea that as well.

I got lots of concerns about MGSV.

If the game plays like Ground Zeroes, I'm a million times in just for that. I'm just hoping it has some interesting narrative tricks to play.

Dream scenario? You finish the game with Outer Heaven built. Cut to credits. End credits radio call is Solid getting the mission briefing for the original Metal Gear operation. You then go and get a full on remake of Metal Gear one to truly finish the Big Boss/Solid Snake story.

I've never played a Metal Gear game (except a few hours of Portable Ops), and got MGS 5 with my video card. Metal Gear Scanlon was a great way for me to understand the series before MGS 5.

I've never played a Metal Gear game (except a few hours of Portable Ops), and got MGS 5 with my video card. Metal Gear Scanlon was a great way for me to understand the series before MGS 5.

Not all the way there yet. PW is pretty important since characters/plot details there show up in Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain.

Ground Zeros had a written recap of (what I assume was) Peace Walker. To those that played both, is it an adequate telling?

Its...ok. It gives a really general recap of the plot points, but you miss out on a lot of the development of characters like Kaz, Paz, Amanda, etc.

thanks dan and drew and jason for doing this series. as someone who never played metal gear and probably wouldn't have, it's been really awesome getting into the story and craziness.

ant1532

Banned
First time seeing MGS4 through(I also experienced MGS3 with the Scanlon series for the first time) and goddamn. What a fucking game. And an end to the series. Back when it came out i was a teen and dumb as hell and was trolling/shitting on the game to my friends because of some statistic about the game being 2/3s cutscenes. Now I want to somehow get a PS4 to play Phantom Pain...

dan foxdie killed decoy octopus because octopus drained sigint's blood and nanomachines and put them in himself

and foxdie wasn't originally designed to kill the patriots it was originally designed by the pentagon to kill everyone involved with the metal gear project to cover it up

If the game plays like Ground Zeroes, I'm a million times in just for that. I'm just hoping it has some interesting narrative tricks to play.

Dream scenario? You finish the game with Outer Heaven built. Cut to credits. End credits radio call is Solid getting the mission briefing for the original Metal Gear operation. You then go and get a full on remake of Metal Gear one to truly finish the Big Boss/Solid Snake story.

It would definitely make the David Hayter and Kojima thing, with the announcement of Keifer as Big Boss a couple years ago, more interesting.

I'm mostly worried that Keifer has been so quiet in all of these demos. The optimist in me wants to believe they've been muting him due to spoiler concerns, but I also think that maybe he was the reason they were so severely over budget so to compensate they severely reduced his chatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom