• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting blind here because I bet a lot of US folks are talking MGS Drew right now.
Have 3:45 Hours of MGS to go (yesterday and today eps)

Should be a good Sunday afternoon.

The story in MGS4 is absolutely fantastic and is probably the second best in the series, only behind MGS1. It even manages to make up for the awful mess that was MGS2, which I didn't even think was possible. It's just a shame that there was so little actual gameplay.

Ground Zeros had a written recap of (what I assume was) Peace Walker. To those that played both, is it an adequate telling?

I think that some of the impact of Ground Zeroes is lost without Peace Walker. If you just read a story summary, you won't really feel the impact of
losing Mother Base. You spend all of Peace Walker building it up, recruiting soldiers, bonding with your staff, and putting together a Metal Gear. And they blow it all up in GZ.

Jintor

I think that some of the impact of Ground Zeroes is lost without Peace Walker. If you just read a story summary, you won't really feel the impact of
losing Mother Base. You spend all of Peace Walker building it up, recruiting soldiers, bonding with your staff, and putting together a Metal Gear. And they blow it all up in GZ.

tbh i didn't feel shit in GZ.
Since you mostly just menu interact with Mother Base in PW, so it's kinda like, oh, i guess they rekt the place huh

- J - D -

I guess I knew all along, but man, Dan LOVES MGS. Like, he really loves MGS, warts and all.

10 years from now when Dan and Drew do MGScanlon 6, Dan's gonna be like "I love Metal Gear Solid more than anything, more than my own kids."

I wouldn't be surprised.

Haven't seen this stuff since my only playthrough in 2008. It's much more fun when you go in knowing how stupid things are going to get.

Dan and Drew definitely helped make it more enjoyable, though.

I guess we'll see in a couple weeks, but I don't know how to feel about TPP anymore. 4 goes to such far-past-absurd lengths to tie off every single loose end that it seems hard to imagine that there could be much compelling story left to tell here, at least without it diving into full "we'll tell you about kid Darth Vader even though you don't care" territory. But I guess we don't even know if TPP is going to have much story at all? We'll see.

But man did I enjoy the last couple hours of 4 more than I did the first time around.

Jintor

I don't know if it'll have too much to say about Big Boss beyond "yarr I'm angry and gonna go full evil pretty soon", but I'm sure it'll have some stuff about Liquid and Miller and other side characters.

And, like I said, flaming whale

I don't know if it'll have too much to say about Big Boss beyond "yarr I'm angry and gonna go full evil pretty soon", but I'm sure it'll have some stuff about Liquid and Miller and other side characters.

And, like I said, flaming whale

More like retconning to make it that Big Boss was never actually evil.

I've always liked that cats and snakes line, but MAAAAN it's the dumbest explanation to fix a major story problem many years too late.

But MAAAAN I love that Kojima took a thing fans hated and fixed it in a way that made fans hate it more.

I guess we'll see in a couple weeks, but I don't know how to feel about TPP anymore. 4 goes to such far-past-absurd lengths to tie off every single loose end that it seems hard to imagine that there could be much compelling story left to tell here, at least without it diving into full "we'll tell you about kid Darth Vader even though you don't care" territory. But I guess we don't even know if TPP is going to have much story at all? We'll see.

I want the origin story of Psycho Mantis. He's in the trailer as a kid. MGS4 hinted that he's one of the very few beings of actual magic and I want to see how they explain
(read: retcon)
that.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I have a higher appreciation for MGS 4 that i did when i played through it at release. What a crazy thing.

PS: I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS DAN. DO METAL GEAR RISING.

Metal Gear Scanlon has been and probably will always be my most favorite series of videos on the site. Frustrating at times but ultimately satisfying it has been fascinating seeing someone experience the story for the first time and how the games compare to my memory or nostalgia for them.

I really didn't rate MGS3 at the time I played it, I think because I wanted a sequel with Solid Snake not a prequel with Big Boss but after the playthrough I really enjoyed the story.

Did they change the microwave corridor for version 2 because I remember it being longer and with more button mashing?

Thanks Drew, Dan and Jason. I don't have PS3 anymore and I wanted to catch up on the story before Phantom Pain, it has been a pleasure.

Jintor

Damn. I didn't realise PC was day and date with PS4.

Hopefully there'll be a decent deal somewhere to grab... otherwise I might... just bite the bullet

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
OPhzV0A.gif

Life feels so empty now with MGScanlon 4 done.

It's really weird that they made more MGS games after seeing what MGS4 was. All the flashbacks, tying of loose ends and just the finality of it all.
Damn. I didn't realise PC was day and date with PS4.

Hopefully there'll be a decent deal somewhere to grab... otherwise I might... just bite the bullet

You can probably find those Nvidia codes fairly cheap. I'm still considering buying a new GPU to get one.

Xater

But man did I enjoy the last couple hours of 4 more than I did the first time around.

There will be a lot of retcons.

Nice to hear that we will get Ground Zeroes as well. Probably will be just a single episode though considering how short that thing is.

hamchan

I like that nobody besides Sunny and Otacon gives a shit about Snake, that he pretty much sacrificed 90% of his body to save all their assess and will die very soon. Instead it's drinks all around and marriage time wooooo!

Haunted

I'm happy that MGScanlon is over so the thread can go back to normal
harhar
instead of being some sort of secondary MGS OT. It was pretty rough there for a while.

Xater

I'm happy that MGScanlon is over so the thread can go back to normal
harhar
instead of being some sort of secondary MGS OT. It was pretty rough there for a while.

Ground Zeroes is still happening. Aldo gave you ever visited the MGS OT? Those people are crazy.

Haunted

Ground Zeroes is still happening. Aldo gave you ever visited the MGS OT? Those people are crazy.
agh

and no, I'm staying far away. The one-two punch of MGS3 and MGS4 soured me on the games while the delusional fanbase kept me away from even assciating with it, though I was a big MGS fan back in the day. 1 was one of my favourite PS1 games, the hype for 2 was insane, I really loved Twin Snakes and played through it several times etc etc.

Zomba13

As they won't play PW I hope they at least do something discussing the game or film them watching the supercut. I want to see Drew react to some of the weird shit in PW. GZ is happening so that is good but I still want to see Drew react to PW. All of PW. Especially the ending fight.

Zaph

Okay, that was awesome. Loved the fist-fight when the MGS3 music kicked in, glad we're going back to Big Boss for MGS5, kinda sick of AI future war.

Not going to bother waiting for them to feel comfortable putting MGS5 on the site, so what do I need to do before it comes out (aside from play Ground Zeroes)? Is this the Peace Walker supercut video Dan was talking about? Something similar for Portable Ops out there?

I will always love the part of the Frog caressing the other Frog, as to calm her. It's a nice small detail that I dunno, gives this game humanity.
Yup, was a great detail. As much as I like the OTT dumb stuff, more things like that to off-set it would be welcome.

*ending nonsense*

Thanks for this, was about to do a deep-dive on the MGS wiki to understand everything after the fake ending like Dan suggested, but it seems obvious there's no point. MGS is a ride you enjoy at the time, you don't want to overthink it.

jgminto

You can just shoot everything in Ground Zeroes, he'll be fine.

Why? Drew is going to need to play GZ before 5 and they can just watch the PW recap that's in GZ while Dan expands on the recap to get Drew up to speed.
GZ is five minutes of relevant information that primarily exists to explain how the characters from Peace Walker got to the situations they are in for TPP. What would be the point in skimming the actual part where the character are established and developed just to see the middle point of their story arcs which will likely be summarised in TPP? If the whole point of Metal Gear Scanlon was for Drew to get caught up with the series so he could play V, skipping the most directly relevant game would be a mistake and reading the synopsis/listening to the tapes wouldn't be an adequate replacement. It'd be like reading the Shadow Moses novel included with 2 instead of playing 1.

Also Peace Walker is incredibly stupid in some of the best Metal Gear ways so not seeing Drew experience that himself would be extremely disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom