• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
GZ is five minutes of relevant information that primarily exists to explain how the characters from Peace Walker got to the situations they are in for TPP. What would be the point in skimming the actual part where the character are established and developed just to see the middle point of their story arcs which will likely be summarised in TPP? If the whole point of Metal Gear Scanlon was for Drew to get caught up with the series so he could play V, skipping the most directly relevant game would be a mistake and reading the synopsis/listening to the tapes wouldn't be an adequate replacement. It'd be like reading the Shadow Moses novel included with 2 instead of playing 1.

Also Peace Walker is incredibly stupid in some of the best Metal Gear ways so not seeing Drew experience that himself would be extremely disappointing.

But GZ also serves as the basis for the events of V so just going into V would be extremely confusing, a short primer at least gives Drew some background on what Big Boss has been doing between 3 and GZ while also giving some background for who the characters in GZ and V are and why they are with Big boss.

Sure, it's not ideal but V will probably mainly focus on characters that Drew is already aware of so it's not like he'd be totally lost anyway.

The tactical vest always made Old Snake look fat, I thought he looked the coolest at the end of Act V without it. Heck, it was the original visual from the 2005 concept art that he appeared in.

Man, I'm so glad that Metal Gear Scanlon 4 exists, now I can NEVER EVER play MGS4 again.

I guess we'll see in a couple weeks, but I don't know how to feel about TPP anymore. 4 goes to such far-past-absurd lengths to tie off every single loose end that it seems hard to imagine that there could be much compelling story left to tell here, at least without it diving into full "we'll tell you about kid Darth Vader even though you don't care" territory. But I guess we don't even know if TPP is going to have much story at all? We'll see.

But man did I enjoy the last couple hours of 4 more than I did the first time around.

Honestly, if Peace Walker is any indication, I don't expect TPP to be honestly "too focused" on trying to tie up loose ends like MGS4 was.

Peace Walker could've been a far more critical story chapter in Big Boss's overall story, but instead of giving us insight into Big Boss's short time as a Patriot, explore why he left Zero in the first place, etc, it instead focused on exploring the mindset of Big Boss and how he, out of his own volition, come to terms with his understanding of the Boss's will, but also his distinct rejection of her way of life.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Octopi can totally look like they have ears.

22deep_slide01-370x297.jpg

Kojima is basically a D tier shonen author. Hopefully with the split from Konami, budgetary concerns where ever he ends up next will force him to dial the bullshit down and make some more mechanics focused games. (I'm really hoping 5 actually ends up as gameplay driven as it seems to be)

If the game plays like Ground Zeroes, I'm a million times in just for that. I'm just hoping it has some interesting narrative tricks to play.

Dream scenario? You finish the game with Outer Heaven built. Cut to credits. End credits radio call is Solid getting the mission briefing for the original Metal Gear operation. You then go and get a full on remake of Metal Gear one to truly finish the Big Boss/Solid Snake story.

YUP. It has to end like this. In fact it's to the point where if it doesn't, I'm going to be so disappointed.

Plus, it would be the perfect twist on all the base building and management forced on you throughout the game, that you sneak in as Solid at the end and destroy it all.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kojima is basically a D tier shonen author. Hopefully with the split from Konami, budgetary concerns where ever he ends up next will force him to dial the bullshit down and make some more mechanics focused games. (I'm really hoping 5 actually ends up as gameplay driven as it seems to be)

Still a better ending than naruto.

danm999

Hey gang. Caught up with Metal Gear Scanlon.

Why was Ocelot pretending to be Liquid.....? I don't understand.

Is the answer nanomachines? What the fuck is happening.

YUP. It has to end like this. In fact it's to the point where if it doesn't, I'm going to be so disappointed.

Plus, it would be the perfect twist on all the base building and management forced on you throughout the game, that you sneak in as Solid at the end and destroy it all.
I still want this to be the ending of Phantom Pain, and then whoever picks up the pieces after Kojima leaves can do the MG remake.

Metal Gear TX.55 is now a giant pachislot machine that dispenses gold coins that you exchange at a nearby kiosk for STEALTH NUCLEAR WARHEADS

Why was Ocelot pretending to be Liquid.....? I don't understand.

Basically, it allows Ocelot to openly set his scheme at play. (PMCs, etc)

Ocelot, being one of the founders of the Patriots and their agent knows a lot about the underlying workings of the system.

If he openly did what he did as Ocelot instead of Liquid, the Patriots would've concocted a different plan to take Ocelot down, one which is aware of Ocelot's history, allegiances and capabilities.

By pretending to be Liquid, he set himself up as a different kind of threat, one where the Patriots are less threatened by, and just did the basic minimum of manipulating Snake/Drebin/etc to kill Liquid the same way as the Shadow Moses set-up.

danm999

Ocelot, being one of the founders of the Patriots and their agent knows a lot about the underlying workings of the system.

If he openly did what he did as Ocelot instead of Liquid, the Patriots would've concocted a different plan to take Ocelot down, one which is aware of Ocelot's history, allegiances and capabilities.

By pretending to be Liquid, he set himself up as a different kind of threat, one where the Patriots are less threatened by, and just did the basic minimum of manipulating Snake/Drebin/etc to kill Liquid the same way as the Shadow Moses set-up.

Ok.

So was he faking being Liquid back on Big Shell or was that legit? I guess I'm wondering if Liquid dies in 1 or in between 2 and 4, or if the whole Ocelot's dad being a medium thing was just a giant misdirect.

So

We're nearing ever closer to September and not a peep about persona 5's release date. You guys willing to accept its a 2016 game yet or are we waiting till December 31st just to give the game the benefit of the doubt?

Because it's pretty late into the year to not have a release date set for a supposed 2015 retail game.
Ok.

So was he faking being Liquid back on Big Shell or was that legit? I guess I'm wondering if Liquid dies in 1 or in between 2 and 4, or if the whole Ocelot's dad being a medium thing was just a giant misdirect.

no, the arm was affecting ocelot so he had it taken off and replaced with a robo arm

Which makes you wonder why in the fuck he put a rando arm on when robo arm tech already existed. I mean the tech is decades old if mgsv is anything to go by.

Just don't think about it too much

Jintor

I'm hoping TPP deals more with the supernatural stuff.

I just watched the 2014 TGS demo and was pretty shocked about Quiet.
I had no goddamn idea she had magic ghost powers. Legit shook.

I wonder if there will be more than one woman in that game though. At least we know Quiet wears a bra, unlike Naomi.

My other question is why a bunch of AI decided that yes, Ocelot was possessed by the ghost of a clone because he transplanted himself an arm, we're going to believe this

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
So

We're nearing ever closer to September and not a peep about persona 5's release date. You guys willing to accept its a 2016 game yet or are we waiting till December 31st just to give the game the benefit of the doubt?

Because it's pretty late into the year to not have a release date set for a supposed 2015 retail game.

I have no expectations but a game like Persona 5 doesn't need a long marketing campaign. It is largely selling to people already convinced. The thing that needs to be watched out for is the time needed for the software to go into manufacture.

So

I'm giving Persona 5 till the first 2 weeks of September. ( SCEJA presser till TGS )

Scizzy

Ok.

My understanding is that Ocelot's dad was meant to be the "real" explanation after everyone mocked the arm possession stuff, but then everyone mocked the psychic stuff too. Then, Kojima decided that Liquid was possessing Ocelot on Big Shell, but Ocelot got rid of him before MGS4 to sweep it under the rug. So, yes, Liquid died off screen in the most anticlimactic way possible.

danm999

My understanding is that Ocelot's dad was meant to be the "real" explanation after everyone mocked the arm possession stuff, but then everyone mocked the psychic stuff too. Then, Kojima decided that Liquid was possessing Ocelot on Big Shell, but Ocelot got rid of him before MGS4 to sweep it under the rug. So, yes, Liquid died off screen in the most anticlimactic way possible.

Ok.

So it seems "does magic exist" is a fairly big question MGS has trouble with.

But then I guess that explains how Fortune deflected that missile in MGS2.

And we are done! thank you so much Drew and Dan it was amazing :D <3

CMiYD3oUYAAPyCI.jpg:large

So

Atlus last financial call said it would be out IN THE WEST between October and December of 2015

My other question is why a bunch of AI decided that yes, Ocelot was possessed by the ghost of a clone because he transplanted himself an arm, we're going to believe this

They are kind of nutty on their own? I mean, over complicated plans to deal with conflicts, the big shell being a big test that resulted in the catastrophic loss of GW and Colonel AI rants before Solidus boss fight.

Jintor

They are kind of nutty on their own? I mean, over complicated plans to deal with conflicts, the big shell being a big test that resulted in the catastrophic loss of GW and Colonel AI rants before Solidus boss fight.

hmmm. the ai is based off peace walker tech right
the AI Gear that Strangelove built being a prototype or something... I forget
I can believe that stuff goes haywire. I guess my other question is why Cipher would knowly put any trust in those bots. I guess Zero must've just gone totally loco at some point.

I feel like this is what's so stupid about it. The AIs have to believe it's either a ghost in Ocelot's body who has access to all his memories as MGS2 implied, or that Ocelot's gone nuts and thinks he's Liquid. Either way does not seem like a "let's underestimate this guy" scenario.

The AIs, which were able to run the world on a massive scale and in their most advanced form were able to debate philosophy with Raiden, somehow become brainless computers tricked by childish ruses.

I feel like this is what's so stupid about it. The AIs have to believe it's either a ghost in Ocelot's body who has access to all his memories as MGS2 implied, or that Ocelot's gone nuts and thinks he's Liquid. Either way does not seem like a "let's underestimate this guy" scenario.

The AIs, which were able to run the world on a massive scale and in their most advanced form were able to debate philosophy with Raiden, somehow become brainless computers tricked by childish ruses.

It is stupid. It requires a huge suspension of disbelief. But all I'm saying is that what I wrote is the purpose of the whole Liquid Ocelot thing.

hmmm. the ai is based off peace walker tech right
the AI Gear that Strangelove built being a prototype or something... I forget
I can believe that stuff goes haywire. I guess my other question is why Cipher would knowly put any trust in those bots. I guess Zero must've just gone totally loco at some point.

No, JD and co. aren't based off Strangelove's. The tape conversation in PW pretty much outright stated that SIGINT's direction of AI development is more towards data processing instead of trying to create an actual 'person', which was what Strangelove tried to do.

As for why Cipher put any trust in A.I, well, he's fundamentally a complete paranoia by Peace Walker who lost any ability to trust in other people after Big Boss walked off on him.

danm999

Also, at the end of MGS2 Otacon mentions that his and Snakes anti Metal Gear group was being chiefly financied by someone on the list of Patriots they pick up.

That has to be EVA right? Sigint and Paramedic are dead, Big Boss was in a slushy coma and Zero certainly wouldn't have undermined his own control.

Unless it was Ocelot? But then again why would Otacon think the names of the Patriots had been dead for 100 years? Was it just a dummy list?

Very confusing.

So

Jintor

No, JD and co. aren't based off Strangelove's. The tape conversation in PW pretty much outright stated that SIGINT's direction of AI development is more towards data processing instead of trying to create an actual 'person', which was what Strangelove tried to do.

As for why Cipher put any trust in A.I, well, he's fundamentally a complete paranoia by Peace Walker who lost any ability to trust in other people after Big Boss walked off on him.

ugh.

i hope my vita still has my peace walker saves on it... redownloading now... i never did listen to all the tapes...

Also, at the end of MGS2 Otacon mentions that his and Snakes anti Metal Gear group was being chiefly financied by someone on the list of Patriots they pick up.

That has to be EVA right? Sigint and Paramedic are dead, Big Boss was in a slushy coma and Zero certainly wouldn't have undermined his own control.

Unless it was Ocelot? But then again why would Otacon think the names of the Patriots had been dead for 100 years? Was it just a dummy list?

Very confusing.

either a dummy list or a list of the philosophers, not the patriots

Very confusing.

That list wasn't the names of The Patriots, it was the names of The Philosophers. Or a fake list altogether.

As for the whole "we were backed by one of them" thing, it's probably a plot point Kojima dropped, or the children of a former Philosopher was coincidentally backing Philantrophy.

neshcom

Banned

But the Patriots weren't all that fooled to begin with. They knew about Ocelot as a threat and orchestrated Rat Patrol, DREBIN, Naomi, and--effectively--Philanthropy/Snake-Otacon into taking down Liquid. They underestimated Naomi and couldn't account for Sunny and, in the end, were basically reset to their original purpose of maintaining the world, free to mutate again in the future.
Edit: The Patriots also planned MGS 2 to test the SSS. Despite a crippling of GW, the system worked and allowed for the other AIs to compensate and take their control to the individual level. The funding of Philanthropy just seemed like covering their tracks.

Megasoum

Banned
Is it me or is the music that plays right before the Snake/Liquid fight starts sounds an awful lot like The Rock music? As in the Michael Bay masterpiece... Not the former wrestler turned all around cool dude.

B-b-b-but da feels of nurturing your own mercenary army!

The recruitment and mother base management was okay. It's the gameplay that I disliked. Everything from the level design to the encounter design to the grinding is just ugh.

Also the game is aesthetically unpleasing overall.

Now I'm just getting grumpy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom