• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original MGS wasn't consider crazy at the time because at the time we were trained to suspend our disbelief to a higher degree when playing Japanese, dialog/story heavy games. You chalked up a lot of the awkwardness and strangeness to translation issues and different cultural expectations. Resident Evil actually was attempting cinematic gameplay as well, and the story stuff was hilarious if you didn't choose to look past it.

It wasn't until MGS2 that they blew through that suspension of disbelief.

BearPawB

Banned
I think MGS2 is the highpoint of the series for me. It is the best Stealth Action Game. I loved going around, sneaking, holding people up.

Thanks Drew, Jason and Dan for a great series.

Rather than Drew, I want to see Brad play Rising because he's teased playing it for his last two Extra Lives and then refused to play it for some reason once the chat kept suggesting it. It's the best Metal Gear since 2.
"Kids are cruel, Jack, and I'm very in touch with my inner chiiiiiiiiild".
What a dumb awesome game.

But the Patriots weren't all that fooled to begin with. They knew about Ocelot as a threat and orchestrated Rat Patrol, DREBIN, Naomi, and--effectively--Philanthropy/Snake-Otacon into taking down Liquid. They underestimated Naomi and couldn't account for Sunny and, in the end, were basically reset to their original purpose of maintaining the world, free to mutate again in the future.
Edit: The Patriots also planned MGS 2 to test the SSS. Despite a crippling of GW, the system worked and allowed for the other AIs to compensate and take their control to the individual level. The funding of Philanthropy just seemed like covering their tracks.

But Ocelot is not Liquid (in the pure sense) they knew how to manage liquid but Ocelot was another story. One flaw of the Ai was that depended on repetition to see the patterns that could be the best curse of action. That's why Ocelot made that insane plan to them to not suspect there were other cards under the table. (the virus, Big Boss resurrection, that GW was reconstructed)

BigBoss

"Let it go. My son"

;_;

MGS4 ending spoilers.

cqc-hug-o.gif

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So what's the over/under that we'll encounter Raiden, Drebin, Solid, Liquid and Solidus as children in V?

the merchandising alone....

So what's the over/under that we'll encounter Raiden, Drebin, Solid, Liquid and Solidus as children in V?

the merchandising alone....
I'm pretty sure we'll see at least young liquid if the trailers are anything to go by.

But who knows maybe it's just a young child who has hypotized himself into thinking he's liquid.

I'm an hour into this Peace Walker video Dan mentioned. The story is pretty good so far for similar reasons as to why Snake Eater is easily the strongest stand-alone narrative of the MGS games. Liking all this Cold War era Latin America stuff.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm an hour into this Peace Walker video Dan mentioned. The story is pretty good so far for similar reasons as to why Snake Eater is easily the strongest stand-alone narrative of the MGS games. Liking all this Cold War era Latin America stuff.

where's the link?

Gonna miss you MGScanlon (unless they do 5 and upload it at a later date). Fantastic series and my favorite one on the site since I've started watching Giant Bomb a year ago.

Didn't realize how polarizing Rising is on the GB site. Some commenters on the site really hate it to the point of it not even existing. I know about not reading GB website comments and all that, but I can actually understand why people dislike it since its such a different game and doesn't add anything to the story, which most people play Metal Gear for.

In general most of the fans don't even play character action games and can't really tell a good one from a bad one because of their lack of experience with the genre, but are just playing it because it has the metal gear name on it. Kind of reminds me of Persona 4 Arena where a good number of Persona 4 fans really dislike those games because of how different it is and how it adds nothing to the story/characters, even though its a really solid fighting game.

Though it is pretty ironic that people complain about Rising being cheesy and/or poorly voice acted, like MGS isn't remotely cheesy or filled with characters with poor voice acting.

I finally have a respectable internet connection at home for the first time in a month or so. any particularly outstanding videos I missed? I saw the bridge builder thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom