• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

repeater

They should sit Dan down too so he can see how awesome MGR actually is!.
3PeXHev.jpg

Falifax

I finally have a respectable internet connection at home for the first time in a month or so. any particularly outstanding videos I missed? I saw the bridge builder thing.

Septic 5 - oh wait, only a month? Umm... They watched the Shadow Complex QL EX on UPF with some behind the scenes commentary, plus some old videos for games with weird embargos (Killzone 2, Nintendoland)

Volotaire

Thanks Dan, Jason and Drew. MGScanlon has been a blast to anticipate and watch. I loved playing and finishing MGS2, 3 and 4 which was promoted by you starting the series. Drew's reaction to the very last (and big ) infodump was perfect.

Dan getting misty-teared was perfect. This is art.

Drew went from 0 to 100. (this was an unfathomably obtuse part of the speech)

Falifax

I don't remember him slicking him up, but I do remember him having a cyborg arm or leg or something, so maybe, I don't know, I should probably play MGR again.

He was held hostage and used as a shield by the chief scientist while the rest of the children are being gassed in the same room and in order to kill the egg head he had to cut through George too. Although we can see him patched up by the Doktor later in the game.

^ Or I just could've linked to the wiki page.

Nut surprising. Same composer.

Actually, Hans Zimmer did the music to The Rock. I can see why you think it was Harry Gregson-Williams, though. He is one of many composers associated with Hans Zimmer and his team of composers. The company is called Remote Control Productions (formerly Media Ventures). Some other composers from this team include (but is not limited to) Trevor Rabin, Steve Jablonsky, Klaus Badelt, John Powell, Henry Jackman, Ramin Djawadi (he does the Game of Thrones music) and many, many more. The majority of them have a samey style. They are vilified to an insane lengths by snobbier types (especially the reviewer at filmtracks.com, who seems to hate Hans Zimmer and his proteges with every fiber in his body). I, personally prefer a live orchestra, but there is something exciting about the music Hans Zimmer and his proteges create.

Here is a list of all the composers who are part of Remote Control Productions or worked with them: Remote Control Productions

Didn't realize how polarizing Rising is on the GB site. Some commenters on the site really hate it to the point of it not even existing. I know about not reading GB website comments and all that, but I can actually understand why people dislike it since its such a different game and doesn't add anything to the story, which most people play Metal Gear for.
acting.

I think Rising is just weirdly polarizing in general. Some people believe that it isn't a "real" Metal Gear game so therefore it's apparently garbage.

I finally have a respectable internet connection at home for the first time in a month or so. any particularly outstanding videos I missed? I saw the bridge builder thing.

The bridge builder quicklook is probably the best thing in the past month but it might be worth checking out both of the Rare Replay videos, the Gamescom stream and the Us vs Them rematch. Obviously there's also been a bunch of episodes for various series that you might have missed but the most important one is the final episode of Contradiction.

Still think the Big Boss info dump post credits is the most unnecessary thing.

I guess it puts a end to Zero but even that feels a bit half assed. Mostly because his place as the Big Bad was never really built upon by then.

And did BB just walk into some old peoples home and walk out with Zero? As a paranoid power mad person you think Zero would have been safer.

But bringing Big Boss back to life? Whatever. People have been wanting that since MGS1. Its the least stupid thing in that ending.

Man, people were not overstating PW's importance to the stuff we've seen in Ground Zeroes and PP. It's too bad that it looks like it plays like shit, the story was pretty damn good.

Bacon

Man, people were not overstating PW's importance to the stuff we've seen in Ground Zeroes and PP. It's too bad that it looks like it plays like shit, the story was pretty damn good.

I don't think it plays much different than most of the mainline metal gear games. The mission structure is definitely different though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It plays like shit on PSP. Luckily the HD console versions remedied that.

The HD version plays fine, the only real issues are the bosses and the way the game handles it's areas.

I might be different, because I'm not a huge fan of the post 4 MGS content, but with Peace Walker I wish they
hadn't used the Boss like that. It's stupid, unnecessary and I just found it a bit offensive to how cool a character the boss was.

yami4ct

It plays like shit on PSP. Luckily the HD console versions remedied that.

Vita is the way to play it. Right stick camera, but you still play it on a handheld like the mission structure intends. You really can't pick up and play it in quick bursts on the HD edition.

Zaph

Can't stop rewatching the fist fight. Snake and Ocelot injecting each other has to be in the top 10 video gaming moments of all time. The animators really nailed that 80's action movie melodrama of exhausted-fighting.

Santar

They made it!
I really enjoyed Metal Gear Scanlon a lot, the most enjoyable one to watch out of all of them I think.
It actually made me like the game more.

I wish they didn't spend so much time trying to make sense of the plot in at end though.
I was really curious to hear more of Drew's thoughts after playing all of them, what he thought of all of them and the like.
But we got almost nothing of that. It was still a great series though, great work to all involved! :)

Shame they're not going to play Peace Walker, I really enjoyed that game, one of my favorite MGS games.
Ground Zeroes just doesn't have much of an impact if you haven't played trough PW first.

Bacon

At the risk of sounding like I'm rushing things along, what do you guys think is next? MGS was a huge video series that likely took up a significant amount of their time that they will probably want to fill with something else. Demo Derby will likely get some more frequent episodes, but I'd imagine Dan and Drew will want to do something else as well.

Edit: it might be interesting to do a video series of a game that Drew holds near and dear and have Dan play through it

At the risk of sounding like I'm rushing things along, what do you guys think is next? MGS was a huge video series that likely took up a significant amount of their time that they will probably want to fill with something else. Demo Derby will likely get some more frequent episodes, but I'd imagine Dan and Drew will want to do something else as well.

Edit: it might be interesting to do a video series of a game that Drew holds near and dear and have Dan play through it

Brad Teaches Dan how to play DotA2. Or HotS.

Still think the Big Boss info dump post credits is the most unnecessary thing.

I guess it puts a end to Zero but even that feels a bit half assed. Mostly because his place as the Big Bad was never really built upon by then.

And did BB just walk into some old peoples home and walk out with Zero? As a paranoid power mad person you think Zero would have been safer.

But bringing Big Boss back to life? Whatever. People have been wanting that since MGS1. Its the least stupid thing in that ending.

I still remember Kotaku publishing a piece about "is Big Boss back in MGS4?" with an off-screen screenshot of his face like two weeks before release. The worst.

KingKong

I would love a series where Brad or Jeff or whoever sits in with Dan playing old PC games. Has he played Deus Ex? that could be fun

Volotaire

I would love a series where Brad or Jeff or whoever sits in with Dan playing old PC games. Has he played Deus Ex? that could be fun

With respect to Deus Ex 1, I'm not sure if the rest of the team have either. Brad mentioned he had nearly finished the Liberty Island part IIRC in the Deus Ex 1 quicklook/retrospective and intended to go back. I'm not sure about Drew, Jason or Jeff. I wonder if Brad did manage to go back and play Deus Ex 1.

But I do like the idea of going back to complete old games or treasured franchises that the team never got to play. Although, it works better if the person sitting in is familiar with the franchise. Also, certain games will not make for great content.

Anyone excited that Super Star Wars is coming to PS4 (and with trophies to boot)? I hope STESB and SROTJ come as well. The other games they announced as coming to PS4 are a weird mix (Star Wars: Racer Revenge, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, and Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter). What is interesting is that those are PS2 games (with trophy support also). So, while those games are all pretty much meh, could their arrival on PS4 mean PS2 (and in turn PS1) support is coming!? There was that patent a while back that showed trophies added for PS1 and PS2 classics. I hope so. Personally, I'd rather have that then have studios spend money on remasters. There was also that Eurogamer article a while back saying that there could be native support of PS1/PS2. I wonder if that meant in regard to downloads or if we'd be able to use our discs.

Anyone excited that Super Star Wars is coming to PS4 (and with trophies to boot)? I hope STESB and SROTJ come as well. The other games they announced as coming to PS4 are a weird mix (Star Wars: Racer Revenge, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, and Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter). What is interesting is that those are PS2 games (with trophy support also). So, while those games are all pretty much meh, could their arrival on PS4 mean PS2 (and in turn PS1) support is coming!? There was that patent a while back that showed trophies added for PS1 and PS2 classics. I hope so. Personally, I'd rather have that then have studios spend money on remasters. There was also that Eurogamer article a while back saying that there could be native support of PS1/PS2. I wonder if that meant in regard to downloads or if we'd be able to use our discs.

Bounty Hunter was the shit.

Bounty Hunter was the shit.

See, when I played it I was so into Star Wars (I still am, but not as crazily I was was), I would buy any game that had Star Wars on the box because it had Star Wars on the box. I remember enjoying the game, but I don't know if that was because it had Star Wars on the box or if it was a good game (I had the Gamecube version, along with Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader, Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, The Clone Wars, and Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, and (non-Star Wars game) Gladius (only because it was from LucasArts)). The last two Star Wars games I have purchased are Republic Commando (PC) and KOTOR (XBOX and PC). I will be buying Battlefront. Looking back, only Rogue Squadron II: Rebel Strike and KOTOR (and maybe Republic Commando) were actually critically acclaimed. The rest were very mixed (to poor). I also have Star Wars: Starfighter on PS2, Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi on PS1 (yup...), Star Wars: Yoda Stories, Star Wars: Episode I: Obi-Wan's Adventures, and Star Wars: Episode I Racer on GameBoy Color, Star Wars: Episode II- Attack of the Clones on GameBoy Advance, Star Wars: Episode I Racer, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, and Star Wars: Episode I: Battle for Naboo on N64 and finally Super Return of the Jedi on SNES. All of those games were purchased from 1998-2005ish. If there was a Star Wars game on a system I owned, I wanted it. I missed out on so many acclaimed games because of this...

Edit- Actually, I forget that I bought X-Wing on GOG a few months ago.

To your first point, I hope MGSV addresses that in some degree.

To your second question, is it really insane that Big Boss, a master of stealth and CQC even in his old age, would be able to sneak into a well guarded facility and steal Zero away? Especially if it took place between Act 3 and Act 5 where any guns under the system (which would probably be everyone guarding Zero considering Zero created and was under the Patriots, while Big Boss probably wasn't), weren't even working.

And while BB's appearance might have been unnecessary in the grand scheme of the plot, especially on the Solid Snake Saga, it did give us closure to arguably the most important character in the franchise.

It's amazing how well MGS4's visuals holds up. I'm still very impressed with the cutscenes.

Yeah, the animation since MGS2 is top fucking notch. I've always held the belief that despite the leap in polygonal models, that MGS2/MGS3 animations stood up to alot of PS3 games.

Like, if we look at Big Boss when his head is resting on the Boss's grave, there's alot of subtle movement in and around his eyes that just makes it look realistic. The animation is fan-fucking-tastic.

Two Words.

Danjo.
Ka-Drewie.

I doubt it'd even be a great series, that title is just too good to go unused.

Judging by the comments, it seems like the headline was changed from something more spoilery.

Also, it's hard to believe that Kotaku looks worse with each redesign.

I remember like 5+ years or whatever ago when the site was actually easy to navigate and read

but making it easy to skip over all the bullshit you don't want to read is pretty much the opposite of what they want to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom