• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

No_Style

Watching that final cutscene again helps clarifies things for me. Hell, watching the entire game years later helps piece things together.

I'm impressed with Drew's grasp on this whole Patriots nonsense.

Can't stop rewatching the fist fight. Snake and Ocelot injecting each other has to be in the top 10 video gaming moments of all time. The animators really nailed that 80's action movie melodrama of exhausted-fighting.

That fight is such a satisfying ending for the series, the added touch of going through the various games with the different life bars, music and even changing camera angles is some real good fan service on top of an already great sequence.

Volotaire

Is there a game or franchise that piles on the nostalgia as much as MGS4 with
Shadow Moses, the MGS1 segment, the flashbacks, characters, the last boss fight, etc
? I can't think of one.

scaffa

It would have been super cool if Richard Doyle was the voice actor for Boss in MGSV. I think he sounds awesome and has this serious tone. Much better than David or Kiefer.

I played MGS4 a few months ago but seeing the game again with Drew and Dan playing was a blast. The ending is so good, love it.

Is there a game or franchise that piles on the nostalgia as much as MGS4 with
Shadow Moses, the MGS1 segment, the flashbacks, characters, the last boss fight, etc
? I can't think of one.

Doesn't come close but the post-OOT Zelda games love piling on the nostalgia.

yami4ct

Finally finished Metal Gear Scanlon. Man, MGS4 does such an amazing job giving emotional closure to all the characters from 1 and 2. That final fight with Ocelot brings everything full circle in such a fantastic way. It's just so brutal and well choreographed. As sappy as they are, I also love all the closing scenes the other characters get at the end. Say what you will about how stupid and over the top the overall story is, the way it caps everything off emotionally is why I love that game. I'm not sure what MGS5 could do to be even close to the fitting finish to the series is that MGS4 is, from that standpoint.

Also, Yoji Shinkawa is up there with Kunio Okawara as one of the greatest mechanical designers of all time. Every thing he does is so damn great. Outer Haven in particular is such a damn beautifully designed thing. Wherever Kojima goes next, I sure hope he continues that collaboration.

ultron87

The double inject moment is so good it makes me totally fine with the syringe going from nano-suppressor to magic healing/strength juice.

I'm not sure what MGS5 could do to be even close to the fitting finish to the series is that MGS4 is, from that standpoint.

Well, it's pretty much going to fill in the last real gaps of the series that need fleshing out, and hopefully it'll end the series where it began. I'll be kind of bummed out if the post-credits stinger isn't
a codec call between Big Boss and Solid Snake initiating Operation Intrude N313.

yami4ct

Well, it's pretty much going to fill in the last real gaps of the series that need fleshing out, and hopefully it'll end the series where it began. I'll be kind of bummed out if the post-credits stinger isn't
a codec call between Big Boss and Solid Snake initiating Operation Intrude N313.

I said it earlier in the thread, but if MGS5 ended with that codec and then an actual 3D Remake of MG1 where you play as Solid Snake, that would be amazing. Considering Outer Heaven might be a modeled environment for the game anyway (assuming it's just your Mother Base you're building in the game), it might actually not be an insanely expensive thing to do. That would be the best possible way to close the series off.

I said it earlier in the thread, but if MGS5 ended with that codec and then an actual 3D Remake of MG1 where you play as Solid Snake, that would be amazing. Considering Outer Heaven might be a modeled environment for the game anyway (assuming it's just your Mother Base you're building in the game), it might actually not be an insanely expensive thing to do. That would be the best possible way to close the series off.

Shit, it'd be pretty incredible if the base you work on all throughout the game ends up being Outer Heaven, and the more you put into it, the harder the end of the game is.

Bacon

"Drew I'm no expert on art, but I think I know it when I see it and this is the closest I've seen to art in a video game"

Crying.

kvk1

This is a portrait of Solid Snake from the Metal Gear (1987) user manual.

5GVumiu.jpg

Totally reminds me of someone.

Myggen

Speaking of flight club, what other features did they mention during the BLLSL? I remember flight club and Alex playing bad games but can't remember what else.

Blight Club.

edit: I should've read that one more time, thought you were asking about the name of that feature. I don't have an answer to your question. Don't think there were any more.

jgminto

I'm guessing Dan probably thinks Armstrong from MGR is a super cool guy too, though I guess he is essentially just a Libertarian Solidus.

santeesioux

It would have been super cool if Richard Doyle was the voice actor for Boss in MGSV. I think he sounds awesome and has this serious tone. Much better than David or Kiefer.

That would have made more sense than paying Kiefer all of that money for how little he seems to speak. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think there's a bunch of Kiefer fans that don't play games that will suddenly go out and buy the fifth game in a series because his voice is in it.

demidar

Kiefer's casting still doesn't make much sense to me besides a yearning to use a "legitimate" actor (but they cost too much so Kojima's making do).

jgminto

That would have made more sense than paying Kiefer all of that money for how little he seems to speak. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think there's a bunch of Kiefer fans that don't play games that will suddenly go out and buy the fifth game in a series because his voice is in it.

It's pretty clear that the only reason Kojima cast Kiefer was for the his own personal satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom