• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
More metal gear deep dives.

I did not know that in MGS that Cyborg Ninja and the DARPA Chief had the same VO actor. I guess that explains why Gray Fox sounded like a black guy in that 1998 game.

They got a new VO for Gray Fox in Twin Snakes but the original guy still did the DARPA Chief voice in that version of the game.

Still prefer the original voice over though. Sounds more raw and like a man brought back from the brink of death and but into a robo suit.

Also they got the voice actor for Gray Fox in portable ops to do the voice for the Digital Novel thing if anyone cares

Also with Hayter getting the boot with MGSV and suddenly he is appearing in more games I wonder if Konami signed him to some crazy exclusive deal.

yami4ct

Also with Hayter getting the boot with MGSV and suddenly he is appearing in more games I wonder if Konami signed him to some crazy exclusive deal.

Most of his appearances have been indie and kickstarted stuff right? My theory is that the fan outcry just raised his status a ton and indie guys decided to capitalize. Also, Hayter will totally be playing Solid in MGSV. Believe.

In other weird Metal Gear things, I was looking up how Raiden became robo-Raiden on the MGS wiki and came across this gem.

Raiden and Rose began living together. At some point, Raiden, in large part because of his having to utilize a HF Blade late in the Big Shell Incident, became fascinated with the art of Japanese swordsmanship, training himself with the HF Blade and studying in various Japanese swordsmanship and the samurai code, and even going as far as to watch samurai movies.

As a part of Raiden's sword training, he totally just watched a bunch of movies. Makes his dumbass cliche samurai dialogue make way more sense, haha.

jgminto

Most of his appearances have been indie and kickstarted stuff right? My theory is that the fan outcry just raised his status a ton and indie guys decided to capitalize. Also, Hayter will totally be playing Solid in MGSV. Believe.
Snake might appear but there's no way he's voiced by Hayter. It wouldn't make sense.

It'd be insane if Kojima pulled a fast one on everyone and ended MGSV with Solid Snake infiltrating the Motherbase you build with Hayter voicing him.

jgminto

Even ignoring the visible "disagreements" Hayter has had with Kojima, none of the returning characters prior to Peace Walker have their original voice actors so far. So why would they bother for Hayter when they will probably already be getting a new voice if he appears while he's young?

yami4ct

Even ignoring the visible "disagreements" Hayter has had with Kojima, none of the returning characters prior to Peace Walker have their original voice actors so far. So why would they bother for Hayter when they will probably already be getting a new voice if he appears while he's young?

Because Hayter is Solid Snake and the Snake in MG1 isn't "young". The snake at the time of MGSV is much younger than that. If you're going to be playing as Snake later, that's not the VA you use. Also, most of the returning characters have new VAs because of a major difference in age, IIRC. You can't have young/middle age Ocelot sounding like an 80 year old man.

If you start at the idea "The Hayter/Kojima fight is a ruse", a remake or reference to MG1 is the logical conclusion. Why would he not voice Big Boss? Because you don't want Hayter Big Boss to be talking to Hayter Solid when that happens later. Why would they be talking to each other? Because MG1, that's why. Close the loop.

Unless you're playing as Snake taking out Big Boss as a remake of Metal Gear 1. Then it would totally make sense.

Doubt that would happen, as TPP takes place in 1984. MG1 took place in 1995.

According to Wikipedia, this is the series in chronological order (it includes Portable Ops, so I'm including it)

MGS3: 1964
POps: 1970
PW: 1974
GZ: 1975
TPP: 1984
MG: 1995
MG2: 1999
MGS: 2005
MGS2: 2007/2009
MGS4: 2014
MGRR: 2018

According to the MGS Wikia page, Solid Snake was born in 1972 (between Portable Ops and Peace Walker), making him 12 during the events of TPP and was 23 during his first mission in 1995 (Metal Gear 1). To what others are saying, if Solid Snake is in TPP, he will most likely have a new voice actor unless there is a super-secret massive jump in time during the game.

hamchan

Because Hayter is Solid Snake and the Snake in MG1 isn't "young". The snake at the time of MGSV is much younger than that. If you're going to be playing as Snake later, that's not the VA you use. Also, most of the returning characters have new VAs because of a major difference in age, IIRC. You can't have young/middle age Ocelot sounding like an 80 year old man.

If you start at the idea "The Hayter/Kojima fight is a ruse", a remake or reference to MG1 is the logical conclusion. Why would he not voice Big Boss? Because you don't want Hayter Big Boss to be talking to Hayter Solid when that happens later. Why would they be talking to each other? Because MG1, that's why. Close the loop.

This. It makes perfect sense.

yami4ct

Wait, so....all the stuff at the end of MGS4 with Raiden was completely retconned for Rising?

Not Retconned, just mostly ignored. He has his human body for part of MGR. He just ditches it for combat later. He also mentions squirreling Rose and John aways somewhere to keep them safe during the events of Rising.

Doubt that would happen, as TPP takes place in 1984. MG1 took place in 1995.
According to the MGS Wikia page, Solid Snake was born in 1972 (between Portable Ops and Peace Walker), making him 12 during the events of TPP and was 23 during his first mission in 1995 (Metal Gear 1).

Time skips aren't hard. TPP already has a time skip due to BB's coma. It's also really easy to explain when you think about how Kojima would handle it. End of the game is establishing Mother Base as Outer Heaven. Roll credits. End of credits radio sequence is Solid getting the mission briefing for MG1. Game comes back up with a big "11 years later". You then proceed to infiltrate the Mother Base you built in TPP, now maybe with some upgrades and mods as Outer Heaven.

KingKong

Seemed like the end of MGS4 goes through a lot of effort in showing him to be done with fighting now that he has a family...I haven't played Rising but just seems weird :/.

They're in New Zealand for some reason lol, i dont remember if you get anything more than a throwaway line about it

Dragon

Banned
Not Retconned, just mostly ignored. He has his human body for part of MGR. He just ditches it for combat later. He also mentions squirreling Rose and John aways somewhere to keep them safe during the events of Rising.

Ah thanks for clearing that up!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Patrick killed it during his last appearance at the office in that December UPF, but him being away from the office the entire time definitely made him leaving not sting as much. I do wish he could have stuck around San Francisco, I think he grew more than anyone else in that office and I enjoyed watching it. He always came off as very humble to criticism and knew his faults.

They're in New Zealand for some reason lol, i dont remember if you get anything more than a throwaway line about it

After watching lots of Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, New Zealand seems like a nice place to send your family to live in safety.

>_>

I really wanted a Rising sequel where you played as Solidus.

Real talk, after MGS4 I was fully prepared for the boss roster of Metal Gear Rising to be a bunch of ex-Liberia child soldiers like Raiden and they'd be the Sons of Solidus and the final boss would be Solidus returned.

THANK GOD THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

jgminto

Hayter was also Big Boss and there's no actual evidence that the game will span to MG1. The game has never been framed as the Final Act of Big Boss' story so it's more likely that Kojima was planning to continue it with future games to MG1 if he wanted to. And while Ocelot has TWO voice actors that aren't starring as him I was also referring to
Major Zero.
And the second part is just a syllogism. If 'x' is happening then 'y' will also happen, even though there is zero evidence of 'x' happening at all. It's the same logic used for conspiracy theories.

yami4ct

Hayter was also Big Boss and there's no actual evidence that the game will span to MG1. The game has never been framed as the Final Act of Big Boss' story so it's more likely that Kojima was planning to continue it with future games to MG1 if he wanted to. And while Ocelot has TWO voice actors that aren't starring as him I was also referring to
Major Zero.
And the second part is just a syllogism. If 'x' is happening then 'y' will also happen, even though there is zero evidence of 'x' happening at all. It's the same logic used for conspiracy theories.

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying it's possible. This is a response to your assertion that pretty much boiled down to "no way Hayter is in MGSV". Is it likely, probably not, but doing this would be a very Kojima thing to do. This is the guy that held back the main character for one of his games until it was released.

As for Hayter being Big Boss, he was already recast once presumably for a similar reason to this in MGS4. I would say that Hayter is far more definitely Solid than he is Big Boss.

They should have had Hayter voice Big Boss in Ground Zeros and then say he damaged his voice box or something and thats why he sounds different in TPP.

That would have been my kind of stupid.

frostyxc

Imagine if you guys put this much thought into stuff that matters.

Like what would it be like if a new season of Garth Marenghi happened!

They should have had Hayter voice Big Boss in Ground Zeros and then say he damaged his voice box or something and thats why he sounds different.

That would have been my kind of stupid.

I would have justified recasting Naked Snake's voice actor after Snake Eater with "The Trauma of The Truth Behind The Boss's Death" being what made his voice change.

>_>

Mature

Alfredo

I want Hayter to be in MGS V so much, but the fact that the Japanese version has Big Boss keep Snake's Japanese voice actor puts a damper on that reason for the voice change. It's still possible, and I hope the Japanese VA is also part of Kojima's potential ruse.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Kiefer's casting still doesn't make much sense to me besides a yearning to use a "legitimate" actor (but they cost too much so Kojima's making do).

David Hayter's been awful since MGS. He should have been replaced long ago. Kiefer is a huge improvement in what little we've seen. I wouldn't also be surprised if it was an internal politics move by Kojima.

Shit, it'd be pretty incredible if the base you work on all throughout the game ends up being Outer Heaven, and the more you put into it, the harder the end of the game is.

This seems like the logical gameplay extension of the Mother Base concept. If it doesn't happen it will be annoying.

Imagine if you guys put this much thought into stuff that matters.

Like what would it be like if a new season of Garth Marenghi happened!

There's Man to Man with Dean Lerner? That's a pseudo second season. But that would be good, wouldn't it?

I don't know how the search function of qlcrew.com works, but has anyone else noticed that the platform selection is kinda useless now? I've tried to search quick looks that were PS4 specific, and it definitely leaves out a bunch of titles that were clearly played on a PS4. Not sure the reason, but it used to be pretty accurate.

Mechazawa

It's a little disappointing that Dan decided to start immediately trying to parse what just happened to Drew during the credits of MGS4. It's not a super mega huge thing, but "Here's To You" was a really great and unique way to slip into the credits, and it would've given a little more weight to GZ's amazing intro if they took a minute before breaking down what happened.

Jintor

Started listening to Patrick's podcast cos of Gina's appearance on the Beastcast last week. It's pretty good! It's kinda weird how he uses the Splatoon Booyah Base music as the break/intro music though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like we have reached peak anime recently on steam.

Vz85HZ0.png

Myggen

Started listening to Patrick's podcast cos of Gina's appearance on the Beastcast last week. It's pretty good! It's kinda weird how he uses the Splatoon Booyah Base music as the break/intro music though.

My problem with that podcast is that I don't really find it funny at all, and it isn't insightful enough to make up for the lack of humor. I tried it for a few weeks because of how much I like Patrick, but not for me I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom