• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

My problem with that podcast is that I don't really find it funny at all, and it isn't insightful enough to make up for the lack of humor. I tried it for a few weeks because of how much I like Patrick, but not for me I guess!

It doesn't seem like it wants to be a funny cast to me. It's just people talking about stuff and they're interesting-ish.

It's not my top tier podcast level but it's good backup when I'm cooking and don't feel like catching up on my This American Life backlog

You know as well as I do that it doesn't matter whether it's good. >_> <_<

Are we talking about for GB or for... personal use?

My problem with that podcast is that I don't really find it funny at all, and it isn't insightful enough to make up for the lack of humor. I tried it for a few weeks because of how much I like Patrick, but not for me I guess!

Not funny and they laugh non damn stop like it is really funny. I tried listening to it because I really liked everyone on it, but just couldn't last because of the forced laughter most of the time. Same problem I had with Idle Thumbs.

Can anyone tell me in 1-2 sentences what happens to Raiden between 4 and Rising?

Brings peace to Africa, becomes an even cooler cyborg dude.
Not funny and they laugh non damn stop like it is really funny. I tried listening to it because I really liked everyone on it, but just couldn't last because of the forced laughter most of the time. Same problem I had with Idle Thumbs.
Now you're just being silly.

Jintor

well i like thumbs a lot and don't think any of the laughter is forced, so there you go

Myggen

It doesn't seem like it wants to be a funny cast to me. It's just people talking about stuff and they're interesting-ish.

It's not my top tier podcast level but it's good backup when I'm cooking and don't feel like catching up on my This American Life backlog

Oh yeah, I get that they're not trying to be a comedy cast or anything like that. It's just that I need some really interesting discussion to keep me interested in a podcast that isn't funny to me.

I do like Idle Thumbs though.

Brings peace to Africa, becomes an even cooler cyborg dude.

Now you're just being silly.

Maybe forced laughter is the wrong words, but they just laugh way too much at stuff that really isn't funny. It sounded like they took the advice of "they can't see you laugh quietly over audio" way too seriously and really have to make sure it's known how much they find something funny. I lasted way longer than I probably would have because I really liked it, but that ended up just getting aggrevating to me. I liked their Twin Peaks and Mad Men podcast a lot more.

I know I'm in the minority, I just listen to so many things that I will drop stuff pretty easily just because I'll have a lot of other stuff to make up for it.

Jintor

Feels different these days though. :(

Things change. Bombcast lost its magic once Vinny left for NY but I still listen (though Beastcast has priority these days).

I reckon Thumbs suffered greatly from two of its main cast members not needing to be immersed in videogame news 24/7 anymore. Some of the greatest discussions often came across because Remo was doing daily news and would come across some total bullshit he would be completely bushwhacked by and then get completely wound up discussing it with Jake and Sean/Nick.

/edit holy shit Danielle's a grad professor. I did not know that!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I tried listening to Match 3 and it's ok, but nah, not enough time in the day. It doesn't seem very popular either, I haven't heard about it outside of this thread. Which makes me wonder...how well known is Patrick? He has a crazy amount of followers on Twitter, more than Jeff or Totillo, but I don't think his videos get many views.

I've never listened to a podcast and though "man, they're really forcing this laughter thing."

maybe im just naive but i don't see the benefit of pretending to laugh harder over, you know, that just being the way a person laughs and thinking nothing else of it.

also fuck nick breckon

bigkrev

Started listening to Patrick's podcast cos of Gina's appearance on the Beastcast last week. It's pretty good! It's kinda weird how he uses the Splatoon Booyah Base music as the break/intro music though.

I get annoyed rather quickly by Sam. He's someone who would probably make a great guest a couple of times a year, but as a weekly guest, I just want to hit the skip ahead 30 seconds button whenever he starts talking.

Thank god Gita is a goddamn queen

danm999

Now that we're talking laughs I submit that Austin has the most infectious laugh of the GB Crew.

Although I will entertain arguments for spontaneous high pitched Jeff laugh.

DamnBoxes

Went deep on MGS content yesterday. Finished MGScanlon, which inspired me to watch all cutscenes from Peace Walker, which inspired me to play through Ground Zeroes. All ready for Phantom Pain.

Kudos to Drew/Dan/Jason for getting me into MGS. You monsters!

hamchan

I tried listening to Match 3 and it's ok, but nah, not enough time in the day. It doesn't seem very popular either, I haven't heard about it outside of this thread. Which makes me wonder...how well known is Patrick? He has a crazy amount of followers on Twitter, more than Jeff or Totillo, but I don't think his videos get many views.

Unfortunately he has less than 10k subscribers on youtube and I don't think his videos get many views.

https://www.youtube.com/user/patrickklepek/videos

Comment, like, subscribe etc, if you've ever liked Patrick's stuff.

some of you folks are missing out by passing on Peace Walker HD. Sure, the boss fights are by far the worst in the franchise's history and, yes, the story is cringe worthy bad even for a Metal Gear game but, yo, fulton recovery and mother fuckin' base

fulton recovery and mother fuckin' base

I'm legitimately excited that PP appears to be PW+; if it eliminates the grind and hilariously tiny stages but retains all the resource gathering and basebuilding, I'm going to have a great time.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I'm legitimately excited that PP appears to be PW+; if it eliminates the grind and hilariously tiny stages but retains all the resource gathering and basebuilding, I'm going to have a great time.

The GMP grind is the one big question mark over the game. I'm concerned that Konami may have inflated the costs for Mother Base development and R+D in order to facilitate micro transactions. My preference for low-tech approaches will probably negate most of the problems, mind.

The GMP grind is the one big question mark over the game. I'm concerned that Konami may have inflated the costs for Mother Base development and R+D in order to facilitate micro transactions. My preference for low-tech approaches will probably negate most of the problems, mind.

there are ways to make advanced resource gathering challenging without it just defaulting to "do the same thing over and over," but whether or not that's actually handled properly is unknown.

in GZ, some of those guys are really hard to extract because you have to take them through some really rough areas. make them the high-powered ones, don't make someone replay the same stage 10 times hoping that the RNG favors you getting good workers

I imagine the ranking after mission point system in GZ will translate to the GMP system so we will be earning it by the thousands per mission.

that's a nonissue on PC, where Cheatengine exists.

I'm really hoping that PP nails the basebuilding stuff, I liked the idea in PW but didn't love the execution. I'm also more likely to dig into it considering that it will unlock a bunch of options for you to mess with in a game that actually plays well.

I imagine the ranking after mission point system in GZ will translate to the GMP system so we will be earning it by the thousands per mission.
But do we know how much stuff costs? You could be earning it in the thousands but everything costs a stupidly high amount.

szlifier

Neo Member
I don't know how the search function of qlcrew.com works, but has anyone else noticed that the platform selection is kinda useless now? I've tried to search quick looks that were PS4 specific, and it definitely leaves out a bunch of titles that were clearly played on a PS4. Not sure the reason, but it used to be pretty accurate.

Sorry about that. I have better data for this, but it's not available on the site, yet. It should be there pretty soon, when I'm done moving the database.

I'm really hoping that PP nails the basebuilding stuff, I liked the idea in PW but didn't love the execution. I'm also more likely to dig into it considering that it will unlock a bunch of options for you to mess with in a game that actually plays well.

But do we know how much stuff costs? You could be earning it in the thousands but everything costs a stupidly high amount.

Weve seen some costs in the last gameplay video when theyre customizing their base. Im on phone tho so I cant comb through it. Its not a crazy amount. Like 2000 for a camera? I dunno ;_;

Zaph

Wait, MGS5 has base building/customisation? Just keeps getting better. Don't usually pre-order games, but Phantom Pain comes with Ground Zeroes on steam. Gonna get cracking this weekend.

Will be weird to actually play a MGS game instead of watching it. Only ever played the first half of MGS1 and a bit of Twin Snakes.

Wait, MGS5 has base building/customisation? Just keeps getting better. Don't usually pre-order games, but Phantom Pain comes with Ground Zeroes on steam. Gonna get cracking this weekend.

Will be weird to actually play a MGS game instead of watching it. Only ever played the first half of MGS1 and a bit of Twin Snakes.

Watch the gamescom trailer, is truly great.

justjim89

I'm with what a lot of other people said in that if MGSV doesn't end with you playing as Solid Snake invading your own Outer Heaven, somebody done fucked up. It seems like the perfect ending.

And I still say the
Big Boss
ending of MGS4 is great, and lot more preferable than
Snake killing himself.

GZ was great on pc, so I'm hoping they don't somehow screw up PP.
yeah, surprisingly enough Metal Gear has come over to PC rather well between Rising and GZ. Just wish they would release the rest of series on steam. Seems like a weird thing that the PS3 is the only machine that can play all canonical Metal Gear games
fuck you portable ops youre barely canon no one likes you go to hell

I'm with what a lot of other people said in that if MGSV doesn't end with you playing as Solid Snake invading your own Outer Heaven, somebody done fucked up. It seems like the perfect ending.

And I still say the
Big Boss
ending of MGS4 is great, and lot more preferable than
Snake killing himself.

My problem with BB in the ending of MGS4 is that it completely steals the thunder from Snake. There was zero need for that scene, really, and the implausibility of it is ridiculously high, which is telling given this is MGS4 we're talking about.

I mean snake is barely in the ending for the game. It's stupid.

wonder if now that ZombiU has been unshackled from the WiiU gamepad if the crew is going to be more receptive of it. I remember not really liking how the game played with the wiiu gamepad and walking away from it in frustration even though people were heaping praise on the game feeling like i had played the game wrong or something.

justjim89

yeah, surprisingly enough Metal Gear has come over to PC rather well between Rising and GZ. Just wish they would release the rest of series on steam. Seems like a weird thing that the PS3 is the only machine that can play all canonical Metal Gear games
fuck you portable ops youre barely canon no one likes you go to hell

My problem with BB in the ending of MGS4 is that it completely steals the thunder from Snake. There was zero need for that scene, really, and the implausibility of it is ridiculously high, which is telling given this is MGS4 we're talking about.

I mean snake is barely in the ending for the game. It's stupid.

It's not exactly a secret that Kojima likes Big Boss more than Snake. And I agree with you on it being implausible. The stupid thing is, what bugs me the most is the fact that a gun goes off in Arlington National Cemetery and yet for 45 minutes no one, not a single officer, security guard, or marine comes to investigate.

And yeah I desperately want all the other MGS games on Steam. Just let me give you money, Konami, you fucking mobsters! I hate having to screw around with emulators.

I emailed the Bombcast about which MGS character had the hardest life. Hope it gets read!

justjim89

God that's a fucked up discussion. Hope to hear it.

I figured the 4 main candidates are Snake, Big Boss, Otacon, and Raiden. It's probably a dark path to go down, but fuck it. My emails about wrestling games or telling Brad that Mario Mario and Luigi Mario was established as canon in Paper Mario 64 never got read.

Zaph

I think KFC is trying to steal Dan away from Taco Bell

1eUV59d.gif

I figured the 4 main candidates are Snake, Big Boss, Otacon, and Raiden. It's probably a dark path to go down, but fuck it. My emails about wrestling games or telling Brad that Mario Mario and Luigi Mario was established as canon in Paper Mario 64 never got read.

I have to say Otacon for sure with his family issues and penchant for having women in his life die. The guy just can't seem to know any sort of happiness ever.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Its the same company.

In fact the one he periscopes is a combo KFC/Taco Bell.

So what you're saying is that YUM Brands is the first company to realize that Dan Ryckert's stupid powers of positivity and luck are the key to controlling the entire world, and soon we'll find out that Pizza Hut bought the Metal Gear IP from Konami and are financing Kojima's new spinoff development house for MGS6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom