• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatbody

I hated PW on PSP but did a complete 180 on it when the HD version was released. The addition of a second analog stick, 60fps, and online play is what did it for me.

Phatmac

It's funny because he says the PSP sucked and the Vita isn't much better but I remember him saying how much he liked playing Rogue Legacy on the thing and that he liked playing MGS 1-3 on the Vita.
Guess he doesn't think to hard about what he says at times.

Man, you think what with The Boss being on the forefront of Big Boss' mind pretty much constantly that he would have thought twice about being a mentor who betrays his protege.

Drew confused the prime minister of Japan, who is a lunatic hardliner who would never recognize, let alone apologize for Japan's wartime atrocities, with the emperor of Japan.

Also, Dan's (who is probably relying on this game and common knowledge) and this game's insistence that Japan doesn't have a standing army is false. Article 9 is a load of bullshit and it's amazing that so many people have been convinced Japan has a pacifist constitution. Conversely, Costa Rica actually does have one.

Not even her, a robot version of her created from scraps of memories by a scientist in love with her.

No, the initial decision to die to preserve peace during the cold war.

PensOwl

Banned
Drew confused the prime minister of Japan, who is a lunatic hardliner who would never recognize, let alone apologize for Japan's wartime atrocities, with the emperor of Japan.

Also, Dan's (who is probably relying on this game and common knowledge) and this game's insistence that Japan doesn't have a standing army is false. Article 9 is a load of bullshit and it's amazing that so many people have been convinced Japan has a pacifist constitution. Conversely, Costa Rica actually does have one.

No, the initial decision to die to preserve peace during the cold war.

Whoops, I guess I misread

Herbs

Banned
I've been catching up on the Metal Gear Scanlon stuff. What a blast! Hopefully I can get through them all before September 1st.

Huh, maybe they won't do GZ on Thursday. Dan said something to the effect of "if Drew Plays GZ before TPP..." That makes me think they don't have plans to do a playthrough for Thursday.

I knew the second Paz said the word "Cipher" that Dan was going to immediately tell Drew what that was. Christ, wait the two minutes for the game to explain it.

Flandy

I knew the second Paz said the word "Cipher" that Dan was going to immediately tell Drew what that was. Christ, wait the two minutes for the game to explain it.
I love that Dan didn't bother explaining that the entire ending section after the credits requires hours and hours of tedious grinding. He just let drew believe it was all after the credits stuff :lol

Was that miller or Ocelot at the end?
Miller

Man, that was frustrating. The only redeemable thing about that Pacifica Ocean garbage is the realization that she's an agent of The Patriots. It's actually a pretty cool revelation if, you know, actually get to experience it.

How on earth did Dan think it was implied that Strangelove was Hueys Mom? Is he crazy or am I crazy and missed something?

Who knows. Peace Walker is like 7 years before Hal is born anyway.

TPP is a year or two after and Huey is still hanging around doing stuff so I guess we will find out then!

But it probably is Strangelove because that seems like the Kojima thing to do. Every character is important and someones parent or secretly someone from the future games but hella young.

I'm pretty sure he meant Hal, not Huey. Or else that would be some creepy grandfather complex.

I'm surprised they didn't remember the story about Huey's death from MGS1. If you recall, Hal had an affair with his step-mother, leading his father to commit suicide. The Emmerich family seems to be followed by a cloud of misery.

LiK

jesus, just finished it. i thought it ended perfectly but then Kojima decides to extend it beyond its scope.

also had to skim through some stuff Dan was talking about in GZ/MGSV. i've been avoiding the trailers and Dan was spoiling too much for me. i don't wanna know anything about it.

hamchan

Yeah I'm so glad they didn't bother to play through this whole game. Weakest in both story and gameplay. They did it the best way.

LiK

Dan, it was Miller at the very very end. Well, that makes things quite interesting when I get into GZ this week.

yami4ct

Man, Tara Strong has a ton of range. She's in everything.

She's really good. She's one of those VAs you don't really realize is in everything until someone lists off her credits. Many of her roles sound like completely different people.

She's also a super nice person. I'm always surprised how cool VAs are when you meet them. I honestly can't think of one who was at all a jerk or anything. They're always super eager just to chat with their fans. It's great.

It's completely understandable, but it still bums me out that they're probably going to blow past MGR. You don't know what you're missing Drew!

Dan, it was Miller at the very very end. Well, that makes things quite interesting when I get into GZ this week.

I talked to some of the mega-MGS fans in the MGS5 hype thread about that and the consensus was that if you're wondering if you should be suspicious of Kaz, you shouldn't be.

But she's
gay
lol

She could be bisexual. After all she visibly hits on him.

I'm surprised they didn't remember the story about Huey's death from MGS1. If you recall, Hal had an affair with his step-mother, leading his father to commit suicide. The Emmerich family seems to be followed by a cloud of misery.

You didnt remember either as its MGS2 where thats rebealed :p and it was such a small tidbit otacon threw out and was never recalled uppn

- J - D -

Okay, I forget, by the end of Snake Eater wasn't Big Boss made aware that The Boss was indeed working for the US the entire time? I could have sworn that was the case but now in PW he's saying she was a traitor? Am I just mistaken about MGS3's ending or did Big Boss sign a pretty serious NDA or something?

I'm watching it right now and just caught up to the part you're talking about, and I was wondering the same thing. Did he forget what happened? Or...

Peace Walker spoilers:
At some point Big Boss says that he doesn't buy the reason from MGS3's ending because it could have been part of the cover-up. Can't remember if this is covered in a cutscene or on one of the cassette tapes.

Wut?
He also considers her going so far to ensure peace a personal betrayal. Because, you know, he's a crazy person.

WUT?

You guys being real? This all sounds super dumb.

LiK

Strangelove was such a shitty character. I don't think I learned much of her motives or who she really is. She's like a shittier Naomi. Need to read up on her.

Flandy

She could be bisexual. After all she visibly hits on him.

You didnt remember either as its MGS2 where thats rebealed :p and it was such a small tidbit otacon threw out and was never recalled uppn

Yeah you have a point. I always just took that scene as her teasing Huey since he probably wouldn't ever be able to walk again.

Cronen

I'm currently watching Peace Walker on Youtube. Am about halfway through right now. Is it worth me going back and watching the MGScanlon video instead? Or is it better off maybe watching sometime down the line once I have actually seen all of Peace Walker for myself?

LiK

I'm currently watching Peace Walker on Youtube. Am about halfway through right now. Is it worth me going back and watching the MGScanlon video instead? Or is it better off maybe watching sometime down the line once I have actually seen all of Peace Walker for myself?

it's worth watching for their reactions. i honestly found the first 2/3 of the cutscenes sorta boring so it was nice to have some talking heads. the latter 1/3 was pretty well done tho. i'm personally not a fan of animated motion comics.

yami4ct

I'm watching it right now and just caught up to the part you're talking about, and I was wondering the same thing. Did he forget what happened? Or...

Wut?

WUT?

You guys being real? This all sounds super dumb.

Well, look at what Big Boss becomes in Metal Gear 1. Dude has some fucked up ideologies and is kind of a jerk even back in MGS3. A lot of his speeches on war are naive at best, outright insane at worst. It's not surprising he becomes more insane and more of an ideologue as we get closer to MG1 Big Boss.

Haven't watched any of the Peace Walker stuff yet - how Metal Gear does it get?

More out there than MGS3 was, but not as nuts as 2 and 4.

Great video guys and I'm glad to remember some of the details I missed on my playthrough of PW. All we need is that GZ video and then Phantom Pain is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom