• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Someone else needs to make the Bombcast thread tonight, I suddenly found out that I'm not gonna be near a PC today and I suck at using GAF from my phone.

Someone else needs to make the Bombcast thread tonight, I suddenly found out that I'm not gonna be near a PC today and I suck at using GAF from my phone.
All that time spent hyping it up and you fail to stick the landing, now I will never know if it matched up to the hype.

Giant Bomb #16 | A Hideo Kojima Thread

tumblr_nt3tk8ghAk1uzau0to1_1280.png

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I haven\t watched the Peace Walker video yet because I'm playing it. However the best things narratively about the game are the ways that Big Boss introduces himself as an entomologist/ornithologist/etc. to every new character in the most half-hearted, unconvincing way and yet them going along with it anyway. Also each of these characters (usually hot women plus Huey) has an indepth knowledge of what is and isn't exempt from the Washington treaty. Oh and he also has so much fun fultoning people. I like that Big Boss more than misanthropic Big Boss.

It is quite a good game, very simplistic but all the MB bits give a nice twist to it.

it's strange cause I think he implies its not, then looks like he includes some of the artwork cutscenes in that long speech from Ocelot at the end (the one that goes through the videogame timeline. Its in there after MGS3.)

Well, Kojima's lines about whether games can be in his canon are not were made after Peace Walker was released, if I recall rightly.

If there's one thing I can do without in Metal Gear, it's the whole notion that Kojima can just shit on what other people do just because his name isn't on the director block.

Speaking of dumb metal gear stuff.

I skimmed though the MGS2 digital graphic novel the other day. Its real dumb.

During the climactic Raiden versus Solidus battle, Raiden gets knocked out and Snake has to step in and finish the fight. lol.

That's some MGS1 novelization-tier nonsense right there.
MERRY CHRISTMAS BTW CHRISTMAS CAME EARLY #NECKSNAP

"You see, I believe in peace through nuclear deterrence. My dad walked on the manhattan project, and then I was born unable to walk, so that's why I believe in nuclear deterrence"

"What?"

"ANYWAY SNAKE YOU'VE GOT TO STOP PEACE WALKER"

This reads like a Hiimdaisy comic panel.
I always wondered why they stopped doing those game comics... well, besides people on the Internet probably being assholes.

klonere

Banned
From last night's RAW:

DUdaK12.png

Y'know that machine The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? The one which more or less kills a person by giving them a perspective of just how infinitesimally small they are in the grand scheme of the universe, leading to total ego death and lack of will to continue existing?

So the "bad guys" strap one of the main characters into the machine and it doesn't kill him because he enters it via an alternative universe created solely for him and thus the machine only serves to show how the universe actually doesrevolve around him.

Dan Ryckert is basically that character in our universe.

I had 2 hours sleep last night

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
GBEast has always been terrible about uploading their videos to YT. I don't think their QL of that terrible cop game ever made it to YT, and that's some all time great GB content.
Which cop game? I might've actually missed that because of that.

Jintor

also i want to personally request dan rykart never talk or interact with politics in any way. I was having a migrane listening to him talk about Japan. To be fair, Drew sort of instigated that.

She went on to do her own project, cucumber quest.

Ah yes, I'm aware of that comic. Still need to get those books. >_>

I wonder if kids nowadays would be able to chew up and spit out MGS in its release sequence one-by-one the way that Drew played through the series over the year. It's hardly a series that evolves as naturally as, say, the 2-dimensional Mario games, but kids can surprise you.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
also i want to personally request dan rykart never talk or interact with politics in any way. I was having a migrane listening to him talk about Japan. To be fair, Drew sort of instigated that.

His talk with his dad about how people should be accepting of gay marriage was pretty cool.

Jintor

i still haven't listened to any of the dad podcasts. I don't know if I can take that much concentrated rykert (though from what little I've seen of him on other things like UPF are decent)

Jintor

I've completely forgotten if there was any reason
Paz had to get in her underwear to pilot ZEKE

/edit oh I guess it's because ZEKE is actually full of LCL or some shit

Soma's imminent launch made me want to watch the Amnesia quick looks and I found this comment on the first's games section
Yeah it bothers me that you play as the biggest pussy in the world who can't run faster than a wheel chair, and who's only defense is to run like a bitch.Can't even use your fists how pathetic they might as well of made the protagonist a girl.It would explain alot.

How did he not get banned, lol.

JamboGT

They have bipedal tanks with fully functional AI and rail guns in the 70's, I guess I can imagine other things by the time they get to the 80's.

I mentioned it after the end of MGS4 but: there were robot arms in the MGS universe since the 70s. Yet, for reason unbeknownst to any sane person, Ocelot decided, when confronted with a cleanly severed arm that needed attention, he decided that the best option available to him wasn't a well known half century of robot arm tech advancements that was tried and tested by many (including the man he loved so dearly, the big boss).

No. He threw all that aside because he thought it would be better to have liquid's arm instead.

in short, Ocelot is a fucking idiot.

also, fun fact: Pretty sure MGS4 will end up being the only game in the main series (again fuck portable ops) where Revolver Ocelot doesn't fire his revolver. I guess since he's pretending to be liquid that makes sense but just thought that was interesting.

Jintor

So has anyone addressed the advanced tech in MGS5 or are we to just pretend that it should exist?

if i had to guess it's probably based off even super more secret actual R&D projects except these ones probably never entered prototyping like most of the stuff in MGS3 did

Zaph

The Paz tapes are in GZ yeah.

The EVA tapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD7915opVB0

The second story I was thinking of was from the Strangelove tapes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geMtaKeGqxE

The secret final tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMa5TgX624Q

If you haven't watched the cutscene video yet, watch these after the Metal Gear Scanlon video.

Hopefully Dan or Drew catches this, especially the EVA tape. Before I felt the ending of PW was basically BB finally processing what happened years ago and just lashing out against the establishment that led him to kill his woman-on-a-pedestal.

While I still don't think the story was very good (seemed to mostly trade on MGS3, rather than add to the narrative), the EVA tape showed The Boss being used time and time again in pretty horrific ways, but kept going back out of some misguided loyalty/martyr complex, thinking it's all ultimately in aid of peace. BB seems to be rejecting that logic based on their always being the next crisis regardless of your sacrifice. He's still a mercenary scumbag who's cool with child soldiers, but at least he's taking some agency.

I mentioned it after the end of MGS4 but: there were robot arms in the MGS universe since the 70s. Yet, for reason unbeknownst to any sane person, Ocelot decided, when confronted with a cleanly severed arm that needed attention, he decided that the best option available to him wasn't a well known half century of robot arm tech advancements that was tried and tested by many (including the man he loved so dearly, the big boss).

No. He threw all that aside because he thought it would be better to have liquid's arm instead.

in short, Ocelot is a fucking idiot.

also, fun fact: Pretty sure MGS4 will end up being the only game in the main series (again fuck portable ops) where Revolver Ocelot doesn't fire his revolver. I guess since he's pretending to be liquid that makes sense but just thought that was interesting.

This has always bugged me since MGS1....didn't Gray Fox just cut off Ocelots HAND? I never understood why after losing his hand and what, maybe 6 inches of his forearm, he felt the need to graft an ENTIRE new arm onto himself.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I thought big boss knew about the reasons of the boss's defection in snake eater....?

Pretty sure eva told him?

Yes, in the tape she left behind that burned up at the end. But I don't think he's allowed to say that as it would undermine the sacrifice. Particularly when you are in contested lands with dangerous people.

Jintor

Hmmm started up Ground Zeroes and a) had to download dlls because AMD's latest drivers broke ground zeroes and b) they still haven't fixed the goddamn mouse cursor problem and you can't alt tab out of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom