• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't care about if a song is "serious" or not... Whatever that means.

I just enjoy good and heavy guitar.

I don't see how Metal is more serious than Hip Hop or any other genre.

eipugIu.jpg

I don't care about if a song is "serious" or not... Whatever that means.

I just enjoy good and heavy guitar.

I don't see how Metal is more serious than Hip Hop or any other genre.

That's the main thing for me. Really love just hearing really awesome riffs I might want to learn to play myself and cool ways to arrange them in a song.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They made gundams one time.

If they made 1 cent for every time their music was used in an anime music video, they'd be super billionaires. There's anime music videos made by kids who weren't even alive when that band was relevant and they still all use Linkin Park.

Evey time Jeff talks shit about metal he just looks like a fool. It's always the most ignorant bullshit. Who are these people taking metal too seriously? People that appreciate something that speaks to them emotionally or mentally? People that enjoy quality song writing? There is metal that just shreds and it's awesome, but it also can have a lot of depth.

Myggen

Evey time Jeff talks shit about metal he just looks like a fool. It's always the most ignorant bullshit. Who are these people taking metal too seriously?

As someone who was part of the Norwegian black metal scene for some years, I've known some people who take Satan and Varg Vikernes too seriously. I'd actually say that the metal scene is the most self-serious of music scenes that I know of, and the community can be fucking awful (but it can also be awesome).

But I find that the best rule of thumb is to not get angry at other's opinion about music. Good rule to live by.

Evey time Jeff talks shit about metal he just looks like a fool. It's always the most ignorant bullshit. Who are these people taking metal too seriously? People that appreciate something that speaks to them emotionally or mentally? People that enjoy quality song writing? There is metal that just shreds and it's awesome, but it also can have a lot of depth.

The conversation was sparked by Metallica on the Trackmania server (right?), so in some ways I actually agree with him. The mainstream metal scene can be/is super lame, and if someone's casual sampling of metal is the Big Four (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax) I can't really blame them for not really liking or getting it. 80s and 90s thrash burned brightly and violently and that's really the only stuff that has penetrated the public consciousness to any big degree. Those bands aren't my thing either for much the same reason (cornball-ass shredding, lyrics, community, etc) and I'm really into metal.

Also as much as I love black metal and death metal, there are some straight up fools in those communities. Like, a lot of them.

As someone who was part of the Norwegian black metal scene for some years, I've known some people who take Satan and Varg Vikernes too seriously. I'd actually say that the metal scene is the most self-serious of music scenes that I know of, and the community can be fucking awful (but it can also be awesome).

But I find that the best rule of thumb is to not get angry at other's opinion about music. Good rule to live by.

You've been part of the Norweigan Black Metal Scene @_@

Myggen let's be friends

Myggen

Also as much as I love black metal and death metal, there are some straight up fools in those communities. Like, a lot of them.

Oh yeah. There was a lot of shit I had to put up with as an openly gay man in the Norwegian black metal community when I was part of that. The black metal community can be homophobic and generally racist as shit, and someone like Varg Vikernes is still held in way too high regard by too many people. I got out of that community after some years.

Megasoum

Banned
Not denying that there's stupid shit in Metal... What pisses me off is people who thing that this doesn't apply to every single genre of music including the one they like personally.

Also, saying that you can "grow out of" a musical genre is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Myggen

Not denying that there's stupid shit in Metal... What pisses me off is people who thing that this doesn't apply to every single genre of music including the one they like personally.

Live and let live, man. Music is the most subjective thing in the world. People will talk shit about the music you like all the time, regardless of what you like.

I know I talk shit about J-pop and K-pop all the time, and stump has never even sent me any death threats because of it!

edit: Ghost is a band I desperately want to see live.

And to be fair the biggest dickhead metal fans are the ones who ones who also like the safest, most mainstream stuff so people on the outside see the loudest assholes who also like the worst bands

I'm looking at you, 5 finger death punch

I know I talk shit about J-pop and K-pop all the time, and stump has never even sent me any death threats because of it!

i'm a man in my 30s who listens to japanese girl groups and metal bands that sing about satan, i'm well aware of the fact that if anyone deserves to get made fun of, it's probably me

Myggen

And to be fair the biggest dickhead metal fans are the ones who ones who also like the safest, most mainstream stuff so people on the outside see the loudest assholes who also like the worst bands

Avenged Sevenfold fans.

There's a great gimmick account in the AV Club comment section that just copies comments from Avenged Sevenfold fan sites, and it's always hilarious.

i'm a man in my 30s who listens to japanese girl groups and metal bands that sing about satan, i'm well aware of the fact that if anyone deserves to get made fun of, it's probably me

I thought you were a teenage girl.

Rainmaker

Banned
I was super into metal for most of my life. The last metal scene I was super into was the "djent" technical-type like Periphery and Veil of Maya. I'm super glad I'm not involved in metal anymore because looking back everyone was embarrassing for the most part. Metallica is still one of my favorite bands though. Theres just so many other types of music that speak to me now as opposed to whatever the hell self-serving empty bullshit most metal bands scream/sing about nowadays. That's not to say I don't go back and listen to certain things occasionally for the music. I'll admit to that.

Megasoum

Banned
I was super into metal for most of my life. The last metal scene I was super into was the "djent" technical-type like Periphery and Veil of Maya. I'm super glad I'm not involved in metal anymore because looking back everyone was embarrassing for the most part. Metallica is still one of my favorite bands though. Theres just so many other typesof music that speak to me now as opposed to whatever the hell self-serving empty bullshit most metal bands scream/sing about nowadays. That's not to say I don't go back and listen to certain things occasionally. I'll admit to that.

Oh yeah for sure.

Like I said earlier, Metallica is my favorite band of all time. Basically it's a band that I know that whatever what style or band I'm into at the moment, I'll always keep the Metallica stuff on my playlist.

The only other band that fits that description for me right now is The Offspring (which is obviously not metal).

Both of those bands are bands that I really really loved during specific periods of my life (high school for Offspring and beginning of my adult life for Metallica) and they'll always have a place in my heart.

But hell... My playlist right now is so diversefied. I'm listening to a bunch of Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters, Beau Dommage (a folk/pop band from super popular in Québec in the 70s that is probably the furthest you can get from metal and that nobody in here has ever heard about lol), Kenny Loggins, some classical stuff, Toto, CCR, Skynyrd, Neil Young, etc.

Basically a song will catch my attention at a specific moment in my life and it will get added to the rotation. From now on that song will forever remind me of that period of my life. For example I discovered Old Man and Heart of Gold from Neil Young during a couple of weeks where I was SUPER stressed out because of work. I was listening to those 2 songs on loop for days at a time to calm me down.

Music really is the best way to set memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom