• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DanRyckert
Tonight at 9pm PDT, the march to The Phantom Pain continues as @drewscanlon plays through Ground Zeroes on giantbomb.com (PREMIUM).

YESS

@DanRyckert
Tonight at 9pm PDT, the march to The Phantom Pain continues as @drewscanlon plays through Ground Zeroes on giantbomb.com (PREMIUM).

YESS

I "hope" that Dan makes Drew listen to the tapes and Drew is so shocked that he decides not to play MGSV if it keeps that tone.

The way Kojima handles main characters has always made the Solid Snake you play in 1 and 4 seem different than the Solid Snake "Pliskin" in 2. I think he writes main character dialog in a way that allows other characters to do long exposition dumps, so they always seem kind of out of the loop. All that repeating the last word spoken to them in the form of a question stuff. It feels like Solid Snake in MGS 2 as a supporting character was the battle hardened veteran super soldier he was made out to be.

The way Kojima handles main characters has always made the Solid Snake you play in 1 and 4 seem different than the Solid Snake "Pliskin" in 2. I think he writes main character dialog in a way that allows other characters to do long exposition dumps, so they always seem kind of out of the loop. All that repeating the last word spoken to them in the form of a question stuff. It feels like Solid Snake in MGS 2 as a supporting character was the battle hardened veteran super soldier he was made out to be.

It's weird because apparently part of the reason they went with Raiden (and not just the themes of the game, etc.) is that Kojima felt that Snake having to be ordered around or told what to do again for a whole game would be jarring considering how his character changed in 1, as well as his veteran status.

Fast forward to MGS4 and there's like 15 minute briefing video where Old Snake has to learn what the war economy is.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
there needs to be some sort of Metal Gear Rising copypasta i can spam Dan with somewhere....

Hmm thought they would have saved Ground Zeroes for the 20th- the 1 year anniversary of MGScanlon. Do you guys think they have something planned for that as well?

It's weird because apparently part of the reason they went with Raiden (and not just the themes of the game, etc.) is that Kojima felt that Snake having to be ordered around or told what to do again for a whole game would be jarring considering how his character changed in 1.

Fast forward to MGS4 and there's like 15 minute briefing video where Old Snake has to learn what the war economy is.

Old Snake got senile.

Edit: Revengeance is a side story and doesn't really affect the other games much, right? I don't think there's much need for it being part of MGScanlon.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hmm thought they would have saved Ground Zeroes for the 20th- the 1 year anniversary of MGScanlon. Do you guys think they have something planned for that as well?

They're probably just trying to knock everything out before PAX.

That, plus they're probably going to be receiving MGS5 review code within days, if they haven't already received it. Embargo is supposedly the 23rd.

I wonder if the Ground Zeroes video is just the short main story if they're going to do any of the bonus missions like
rescuing Kojima
or the
Deja Vu fan service nostalgia overload mission complete with a quiz about the series

Scizzy

Drew will finally learn why Patrick yelled "vagina bomb!" during GOTY!

(Drew's perfect response at the time, "wait, did you just say 'vagina bomb?'")

Zebetite

Banned
MGS3 is a mix of interesting gameplay ideas that never come together in a satisfying way. It's a game I like, but I feel like it should be a game that I love.

Also, the Ricker's passing is upsetting me far more than it probably should. Dude was absolutely hysterical on NDX.

curing, hunting, and eating are all kind of useless-- although feeding guards/The Fear poisoned food is a beautiful thing and i'll take the bullshit for the ability to do that.

camo is fundamentally broken in both mgs3 and mgs4 and i'll spare you my elaborate thoughts on this subject except to say that i disagree that octocamo fixed anything (nor do i think mgs3's camo system is without its share of major and obvious flaws) and i think the series was/is better off without it.

everything else about mgs3 is a beautiful beautiful thing that a lot of people are unable to appreciate and on one hand that's fine but on the other hand, hate the player and not the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le23bsVURds

I just remembered that in the briefing of Act 5 of MGS4 Snake's basically given up hope and is all dejected and shit

I really wish they ran with that instead of glossing over it by the time gameplay starts

curing, hunting, and eating are all kind of useless-- although feeding guards/The Fear poisoned food is a beautiful thing and i'll take the bullshit for the ability to do that.

camo is fundamentally broken in both mgs3 and mgs4 and i'll spare you my elaborate thoughts on this subject except to say that i disagree that octocamo fixed anything (nor do i think mgs3's camo system is without its share of major and obvious flaws) and i think the series was/is better off without it.

everything else about mgs3 is a beautiful beautiful thing that a lot of people are unable to appreciate and on one hand that's fine but on the other hand, hate the player and not the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le23bsVURds

It's hard not to like MGS3 and its minutia, but it's a total shame how much better the game is on paper

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Alex Rubens ‏@alexrubens 44m44 minutes ago

Dan made us pay him $100 to eat the pepper…with milk. Then spit it out after 11 secs & cried.
CMuuTkiVAAA1R1b.jpg:large

Dan in not a 70s band t-shirt? Almost as rare as Vinny in a non-black t-shirt.

I just remembered that in the briefing of Act 5 of MGS4 Snake's basically given up hope and is all dejected and shit

I really wish they ran with that instead of glossing over it by the time gameplay starts

It's hard not to like MGS3 and its minutia, but it's a total shame how much better the game is on paper

The funny thing is that all those simulators these days, H1z1, dayz, whatever all pretty much have those systems in it and nobody bats an eye.

As far as I'm concerned MGS3 was the best and progenitor at doing that crap.

Jintor

Old Snake got senile.

Edit: Revengeance is a side story and doesn't really affect the other games much, right? I don't think there's much need for it being part of MGScanlon.

On there's absolutely no story need. It's just so gloriously ludicrous I want to see Drew's reactions.

But he'll probably just die to blade wolf over and over again

The funny thing is that all those simulators these days, H1z1, dayz, whatever all pretty much have those systems in it and nobody bats an eye.

As far as I'm concerned MGS3 was the best and progenitor at doing that crap.

I think there's an argument for Fallout: New Vegas' Hardcore mode doing it best, but that's probably just me.

jgminto

I could tolerate watching Drew struggle through the mainline games but I think watching him play Revengeance might just kill me. It is a great game though.

I wonder if the Ground Zeroes video is just the short main story if they're going to do any of the bonus missions like
rescuing Kojima
or the
Deja Vu fan service nostalgia overload mission complete with a quiz about the series

The second of which falls completely flat whenever Snake opens his mouth in the English version.

if you spent 10 minutes farming alligators at the beginning of the game you're basically never hungry throughout

that's not an excuse for a shitty micromanagement system, especially when during a certain boss fight you're spending an hour in the medical treatment menu, but it does make the game a little more bearable.

I hesitate to say "bearable" because that makes the game seem bad. which it's not. it's very, very good. im a big fan of mgs3's brand of stealth vs mgs1's. granted mgs1 is a much older game, but it's just "hide around a corner until the guy turns around and then run past him." MGS2 doesn't seem to expand on that much from what i've seen.

Well, MG rising is set in the post-mgs4 world so it's the last game in the timeline.

It's also the only game in the series whose story is both batshit crazy and well told. I was actually impressed with the level of restraint shown in the storytelling without compromising the story in the sense of it still feeling like metal gear, just in a purer action game.

jgminto

You'd have to be playing MGS3 pretty badly for food to ever be a problem, if you're getting low there are likely a handful of animals in your view already that you can pick up and if you're just shooting snakes, goats, crabs, etc. as you progress you'll never run out.

They're probably just trying to knock everything out before PAX.

That, plus they're probably going to be receiving MGS5 review code within days, if they haven't already received it. Embargo is supposedly the 23rd.

Ah yes PAX! Of course. Not sure if Konami are sending out review copies though- think they invited people to review event instead.

I'm still holding out for a "watching TPP trailers" final episode to cap everything off.

MGS4 didn't have many characters to talk to via codec but they were pretty dynamic. Snake would talk about his nightmares that relate to how you died if you call Rose after a continue for example. And every room in act 3 has its own dialogue.

the main problem with the food system in mgs3 is that snake's voice clip after eating is mixed 234% louder than the rest of the game

so even if you have your volume really low snake is still gonna yell "I WANT SOME MORE!" at you

it's kind of hilarious those things are even in there, especially once you realize that you can get through like 90% of the game without ever thinking about food and camo. if you're a halfway decent shot, you can just pistol snipe and cqc your way into and out of almost any situation

jgminto

Mgr best edited metal gear.

Also pretty great codecs. At least better than 4.

I'm pretty sure Quinton Flynn was drunk while recording some of them too, he sure sounds like it anyway.

the main problem with the food system in mgs3 is that snake's voice clip after eating is mixed 234% louder than the rest of the game

so even if you have your volume really low snake is still gonna yell "I WANT SOME MORE!" at you

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Myggen

Ah yes PAX! Of course. Not sure if Konami are sending out review copies though- think they invited people to review event instead.

I'm still holding out for a "watching TPP trailers" final episode to cap everything off.

A review event for a huge game like MGSV seems insane.

Myggen

I hope you'll be up for a while, Myggen. If this thread survives MGS:GZ's tonight, I'll be surprised.

Haha, yeah, I was thinking about that. Was planning to make the thread tomorrow, but now...

I'm still on vacation, so it's not like I need to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom