• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope there's some Raiden-level twist that we don't know about Phantom Pain. One last big fuck y'all from Kojima.
You beat the game and suddenly it looks like the Metal Gear 1 remake is starting. Right as a younger Solid Snake sets foot into Outer Heaven and gets a radio call from Big Boss, the screen distorts.

Cut to black.

Fade back in, it's PS2 graphics. Raiden is on the torture table inside Arsenal. Solidus looks at him.

"And that is what the Patriots will want the world to believe is the story of Big Boss. A tragic hero manipulated, the Patriots a bunch of computers following the will of a sad old man. As you saw in the simulation, they even have their own fake 'destruction' at the hands of my brother planned out, so that they can reemerge when they see fit. Of course, The Boss never existed. There was no Project Peace Walker. McDonnell Miller never joined Father on his mercenary exploits. A beautiful drama, isn't it? And if you had broken out of here, you would have fallen victim to their plan as well. A ridiculous fight on top of Federal Hall, becoming a cyborg ninja; their plans are nothing if not imaginative. Well, we'll see what really happens in the future."

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: THE PHANTOM PAIN

THE END

Anjin M

You beat the game and suddenly it looks like the Metal Gear 1 remake is starting. Right as a younger Solid Snake sets foot into Outer Heaven and gets a radio call from Big Boss, the screen distorts.

Cut to black.

Fade back in, it's PS2 graphics. Raiden is on the torture table inside Arsenal. Solidus looks at him.

"And that is what the Patriots will want the world to believe is the story of Big Boss. A tragic hero manipulated, the Patriots a bunch of computers following the will of a sad old man. As you saw in the simulation, they even have their own fake 'destruction' at the hands of my brother planned out, so that they can reemerge when they see fit. Of course, The Boss never existed. There was no Project Peace Walker. McDonnell Miller never joined Father on his mercenary exploits. A beautiful drama, isn't it? And if you had broken out of here, you would have fallen victim to their plan as well. A ridiculous fight on top of Federal Hall, becoming a cyborg ninja; their plans are nothing if not imaginative. Well, we'll see what really happens in the future."

METAL GEAR SOLID 2: THE PHANTOM PAIN

THE END

You are way too good at this for your own good, EmCee.

They just announced a 3DS sequel to Jeff's favorite DS game, Picross 3D.

Also, I just ordered a Japanese New 3DS, so look forward to that being announced for NA release later this year.

I'd accept that maybe 2d puzzles were more clever, but the utter satisfaction of twisting the block and tapping out a whole row in 3d is unbeatable

Myggen

Okay guys, don't go crazy with the MGS nonsense. I'm going to sleep and hope that there's still some pages to go in this thread when I wake up.

Scizzy

My God, I just remembered that Dan thinks Ground Zeroes is brilliant because it (and not MGS3, MGS4, or PW) finally explains why Big Boss became such a jerk. This could be a rough one.

Brashnir

Okay guys, don't go crazy with the MGS nonsense. I'm going to sleep and hope that there's still some pages to go in this thread when I wake up.

You read the thread thoroughly. It is about a bunch of rambling idiots saying stupid shit over and over. Your Understanding has increased.

There are still some pages left.

Picross 3D 2.

Picross Three Dee Two.

Everyone's talking about Metal Gear and Witcher and Persona and Nintendo just goes and low-key drops an announcement for the game of the year.

My God, I just remembered that Dan thinks Ground Zeroes is brilliant because it (and not MGS3, MGS4, or PW) finally explains why Big Boss became such a jerk. This could be a rough one.

It's kind of true, it shows the final straw that makes Big Boss into the "villain", but MGS3 and PW are what really ultimately makes him into who he is. Maybe I'm misremembering how he said it but I'm sure that was what he was getting at.

It's kind of true, it shows the final straw that makes Big Boss into the "villain", but MGS3 and PW are what really ultimately makes him into who he is. Maybe I'm misremembering how he said it but I'm sure that was what he was getting at.

Eh in Mgs3 hes not a bad guy and in PW he isnt either. Tpp will probably deal with his downfall.

I wonder how in depth they'll go into Ground Zeroes. So much of the actual story for that game is told via the cassette tapes. I enjoyed the game, but I don't really like that the majority of any story telling in that game is from those cassette tapes. I REALLY hope that's not the direction that Phantom Pain will go too. I've enjoyed MGS for it's cinematic quality over the years, not a fan of radio.

Dug

Banned
CMvACgHUcAAwaJj.png:large

https://twitter.com/minion_navarro

Posted this in the Bombcast thread to no avail. Can anyone walk me through how to get premium podcasts working for Overcast in iPhone? Tried adding the RSS url with no luck.

I wonder how in depth they'll go into Ground Zeroes. So much of the actual story for that game is told via the cassette tapes. I enjoyed the game, but I don't really like that the majority of any story telling in that game is from those cassette tapes. I REALLY hope that's not the direction that Phantom Pain will go too. I've enjoyed MGS for it's cinematic quality over the years, not a fan of radio.

I wouldn't mind it replacing the codec calls at all. But yeah, we need the cinematic cutscenes, though I could live with less cutscenes than 2 and 4 had. I actually really want to play the game this time.

Posted this in the Bombcast thread to no avail. Can anyone walk me through how to get premium podcasts working for Overcast in iPhone? Tried adding the RSS url with no luck.

Try this https://www.reddit.com/r/giantbomb/comments/2sodyj/how_to_add_giant_bomb_premium_podcasts_to_your/

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

LBUphq9.jpg

Honestly the less he talks the better. His voice immediately pulls me out of any thought that he's Big Boss.

Everyone says that "Big Boss becomes the bad guy", and I feel like these same people aren't really paying attention to what the series has been showing us all these years. Some people might not agree with Big Boss' ideals that lead up to his creating Outer Heaven, but I still think they're portraying him as the good guy, because his opposition is Cipher, which is run by Zero, and we all see how power hungry his organization became.

Big Boss may lead an uprising in Outer Heaven, and yes, Solid Snake takes him down, but I feel what we don't see is that Solid Snake is basically an unwitting agent of Zero when he does that. Big Boss has morales, and principals. He seems to stand up for his unit, and shows loyalty and earns the trust of those who stand with him. Zero uses fear and absolute power to control those who work under him. Just look at Paz. She says she owed her life to Cipher, but at the same time, she was terrified of him. Big Boss's unit on the other hand respect him, and work for him willingly.

Big Boss may be delusional and a power hungry himself to a point, but he is not a bad guy in same way Zero is.

True, but the things that happen to him and the things he learns about Operation Snake Eater are the events that start his downfall.

Yeah. I feel GZ really makes him snap tho. Listening to his speech at the end about Outer Heaven, about how it's their home now, about how they'll be nobodies tools anymore...and that happens. Boss is one thing, that's one facet of his madness. The other is him losing his home that he made for him and his family, essentially. It's tragic.

kvk1

really looking forward to Drew's GZ impressions

huge props to both of them for soldiering through the games before TPP is out

i thoroughly enjoyed reliving all of the core series alongside the duders

Big Boss may be delusional and a power hungry himself to a point, but he is not a bad guy in same way Zero is.

That's what I love about the series. Facets of evil. Like, Peace Walker kinda explores perfect Deterrence, IE a machine that will always strike back no matter if it's a false flag or not. It was mentioned in peace walker, I dunno if it was a fabricated version of it, but there was a situation where the Soviets faced a false alarm regarding Nuclear weapons launched against them. Stanislav Petrov decided not to retaliate, and something like an AI would have the second it sensed an attack.

Back to the point though, both Big Boss and Zero are evil. Misguided definitely, but also evil. Zero wants total control, Big Boss wants control through force/deterrence. He wants to be that super hero that can be anywhere at anytime, but unlike a hero he would have no ideology.

And even though he's the protagonist of TPP, we're going to see him commit 'evil' that will make us question him(Hopefully.)

And it's a story that's been building up over 30 years. Not alot of games can claim that.

watching MGScanlon peace walker while playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. I've played 500 hours of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 since it came out. Help me.

That's what I love about the series. Facets of evil. Like, Peace Walker kinda explores perfect Deterrence, IE a machine that will always strike back no matter if it's a false flag or not. It was mentioned in peace walker, I dunno if it was a fabricated version of it, but there was a situation where the Soviets faced a false alarm regarding Nuclear weapons launched against them. Stanislav Petrov decided not to retaliate, and something like an AI would have the second it sensed an attack.

Back to the point though, both Big Boss and Zero are evil. Misguided definitely, but also evil. Zero wants total control, Big Boss wants control through force/deterrence. He wants to be that super hero that can be anywhere at anytime, but unlike a hero he would have no ideology.

And even though he's the protagonist of TPP, we're going to see him commit 'evil' that will make us question him(Hopefully.)

And it's a story that's been building up over 30 years. Not alot of games can claim that.

I feel like what you are describing here though is no different than any government organization, and that's how Big Boss saw himself at this point. He had no issue with America, but he didn't want to be their pawn anymore, so he built his own nation basically. A nation of soldiers. Zero saw things different though, and instead of being content with being another cog in the machine of politics, he wanted total control. Far more evil than Big Boss I think.

hamchan

I think it's far too simple to just label Big Boss as a "bad guy" or "evil" at this point. The way we've seen it now, it's pretty apparent that the dude just wanted to be left alone and run his own mercenary group, even after the whole Lays Onfonts Tereebs thing.

It was Zero/Cipher/The Patriots/La-li-lu-le-lo that attacked him first at the end of Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes, sparking Big Boss's hatred and leading to everything he does from then on.

I feel like what you are describing here though is no different than any government organization, and that's how Big Boss saw himself at this point. He had no issue with America, but he didn't want to be their pawn anymore, so he built his own nation basically. A nation of soldiers. Zero saw things different though, and instead of being content with being another cog in the machine of politics, he wanted total control. Far more evil than Big Boss I think.

That is why Big Boss is just as evil-He saw himself above governments and loyalties to them. He saw himself above ideologies and beliefs. In doing so creating his own. It's ironic in the purest sense of the word. In doing so he created his own ideology and beliefs and spread them to his followers, even if they were created unknowingly.

Zero wanted total control. Big Boss wanted to be above everything and a force to be reckoned that they could control war as they sought fit, to choose who they want to be the victor or to be brought out to do so. Both two sides of a coin, different ways of achieving, but despite that just as evil since they're both from the same branch, so to speak.

I think it's far too simple to just label Big Boss as a "bad guy" or "evil" at this point. The way we've seen it now, it's pretty apparent that the dude just wanted to be left alone and run his own mercenary group, even after the whole Lays Onfonts Tereebs thing.

It was Zero/Cipher/The Patriots/La-li-lu-le-lo that attacked him first at the end of Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes, sparking Big Boss's hatred and leading to everything he does from then on.

Big Boss definitely isn't a shallow character. He's evil/a bad guy in the sense that what he's doing wouldn't run well with anyone. To the outside world, His reasons why he's doing it wouldn't matter, just the fact that he's doing it. If someone started a huge mercenary group today and decided to sell themselves, whilst being successful in being a threat, we would most certainly consider that evil.

Jintor

the other thing is that having no ideology, in fact rejecting all other ideologies, is in fact itself an ideology. any teachings, any convictions, any thoughts or... well, memes that big boss wants to spread, themselves become an ideology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom