• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

I'm just going to leave a PC game list here, so Dan can explore some more during UPF or make it a feature. I am sure he has not played most of these.

Freespace 2
Operation Flashpoint
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
Outcast
Secret of Monkey Island
Day of the Tentacle
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Thief 2
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Wing Commander 3 & 4
Falcon 4.0
Comanche 4
Quake 2

Yes, it absolutely includes some of my favorite games ever. Still hope Dan will be frustrated by them because comedy gold.

I'd say that a lot of those would be really hard to get much enjoyment out of if you don't have any nostalgia for them. That goes especially for System Shock 2 (which I played quite recently for the first time in about 10 years, and maaaaaaaaaan it's hard to play), No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, Thief 2, the Wing Commander games.

Especially first person games from that era are fucking rough to play now. I loved Deus Ex when it came out, but I have trouble going back to that game because of it even when it's modded.

Descent would work better than Freespace IMO. Also adventure games make for really shitty playing because it'll just break down to clicking on things until they work, or they'll talk over some important information.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Descent would work better than Freespace IMO. Also adventure games make for really shitty playing because it'll just break down to clicking on things until they work, or they'll talk over some important information.

Yeah i don't think adventure games are a good fit for upf, unless it's something with another appealing factor (see: most of the adventure games Vinny produced mid 2013)

I still would like to see them do a playthrough of broken sword, preferably someone east coast. That was one of my first (and still fondly remembered) adventure games. Lot of adventure gameyness though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think most of those games would just be bad for UPF because they almost all start really slow and have a steep curve to them. System Shock 2 still holds up, but any time I recommend a first person game I feel it should come with the caveat that I fucking hate first person games and particularly first person shooters. I think Ryan tried playing that on a UPF and didn't get anywhere though.

edit: And as much as I love Planescape Torment, I can't really imagine watching anybody play through that game. It seems like it would turn into a weird bedtime story audiobook or the player would just skip everything to keep things moving.

Myggen

Also as I said before, CRPG is my favourite genre and BGII my favourite game, but there's nothing more boring than watching someone else play a game in that genre. I've yet to see anyone make it entertaining, even Vinny and Dave failed.

Zaph

Also as I said before, CRPG is my favourite genre and BGII my favourite game, but there's nothing more boring than watching someone else play a game in that genre. I've yet to see anyone make it entertaining, even Vinny and Dave failed.

Yup. Planescape is one of the best games ever made, but they are designed to be played and not watched.

I'm just going to leave a PC game list here, so Dan can explore some more during UPF or make it a feature. I am sure he has not played most of these.

Freespace 2
Operation Flashpoint
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
Outcast
Secret of Monkey Island
Day of the Tentacle
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Thief 2
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Wing Commander 3 & 4
Falcon 4.0
Comanche 4
Quake 2

Yes, it absolutely includes some of my favorite games ever. Still hope Dan will be frustrated by them because comedy gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si2Hvowovy0

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I might not be making an objective statement here on account of it being the best game ever and all, but I think I could watch somebody play Fallout. A decent amount of the vital dialogue is spoken, there aren't as many walls of text as Planescape, it's insanely short compared to a lot of CRPGs of the day, and there's all sorts of player choice involved while the deadline keeps the player more or less focused on the task at hand.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I completely forgot I had the chat open in the background with the volume low. For a second I thought it was just in my head.

justjim89

I'd love to be happy for Drew leaving Giant Bomb to join Mythbusters, but Mythbusters has kinda sucked since they got rid of Kari, Grant, and Tory.

I'd love to be happy for Drew leaving Giant Bomb to join Mythbusters, but Mythbusters has kinda sucked since they got rid of Kari, Grant, and Tory.

if we're being brutally honest it started sucking before those three even started getting their own myths to test. at some point people realized that kids were way into the show and the tone changed for the worse

there were still good episodes here and there but to me that show is a stinging reminder of what could have been

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
if we're being brutally honest it started sucking before those three even started getting their own myths to test. at some point people realized that kids were way into the show and the tone changed for the worse

there were still good episodes here and there but to me that show is a stinging reminder of what could have been

It also had the inevitable problem of running out of things to test. Add on top of it the editing and recaps that stretched a 30 minute show into an hour, the hosts getting bored and just wanting to blow things up, and general audience fatigue I'm kind of surprised the show has lasted as long as it has.

It also had the inevitable problem of running out of things to test. Add on top of it the editing and recaps that stretched a 30 minute show into an hour, the hosts getting bored and just wanting to blow things up, and general audience fatigue I'm kind of surprised the show has lasted as long as it has.

that was the beauty of those early episodes, they inevitably just devolved into wanton destruction and it was great

Zaph

That guy on Daily Motion who used to edit down the myths, removing repeated and scripted segments, made the show vastly more watchable (and also about 15 minutes long). Shame he got shut down, but was inevitable.

Xater

I'd say that a lot of those would be really hard to get much enjoyment out of if you don't have any nostalgia for them. That goes especially for System Shock 2 (which I played quite recently for the first time in about 10 years, and maaaaaaaaaan it's hard to play), No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, Thief 2, the Wing Commander games.

Especially first person games from that era are fucking rough to play now. I loved Deus Ex when it came out, but I have trouble going back to that game because of it even when it's modded.

I played System Shock 2 quite recently as well. I didn't really have many issues with it.

Myggen

How is that show supposed to work now? The three co hosts took up half the screen time, I can't really see Jamie and Adam doing one hour shows by themselves anymore.

I played System Shock 2 quite recently as well. I didn't really have many issues with it.

Do you have any nostalgia for the game?

I just think it plays very much like a first person game from that era, and even back then there were games that played better. And except for maybe Half-Life, the gameplay in those games haven't aged very well for me. I also think System Shock 2 has some pacing problems, especially towards the end, but that's another discussion. Very much a classic, but one of those games I can't really see very many people enjoying for the first time today.

Zaph

How is that show supposed to work now? The three co hosts took up half the screen time, I can't really see Jamie and Adam doing one hour shows by themselves anymore.

The idea was to focus on the build, spending longer with each myth. They released a fancy trailer of the new direction with some pretty decent motion graphics. Never actually watched any of the new episodes though, so no clue if they managed to pull it off.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

Same when I went back to deus ex recently. Thief games play really well, too. Played 1 and 2 again a couple years ago and had so much fun. If someone is new to either game obviously they'll need ten minutes to get a hang of the controls. Even that might be overstating it.

The idea was to focus on the build, spending longer with each myth. They released a fancy trailer of the new direction with some pretty decent motion graphics. Never actually watched any of the new episodes though, so no clue if they managed to pull it off.

I watched one of the newer episodes since the format change and it was pretty good and a decent change from the old format they did to death but I haven't kept up.

They just tinkered with the flow of the show a little by spending longer on single myths and got some new camera gear to make things look a bit different and prettier, avoiding using the same kind of shots as before. More colour filtering and shit.

justjim89

God watching Dan play Thief 1 or 2 on UPF while they all scoff and laugh at how "poorly" it's aged might be the most infuriating thing imaginable.

X2cVkTb.jpg

But yeah, the show got stretched and ruined. Shame because Jamie and Adam are swell dudes.

hamchan

I'd love to be happy for Vinny finally being noticed by Hollywood and given a high paying video production job, but I'm worried Austin and Alex can't carry GBEAST by themselves.

demidar

Thread needs to get back to its roots with more wrestling.

Oh. That is interesting. CBSi doesnt seem like the kind of company to lend out its production staff so I wonder if something is up.

Wrasslin' must be really desperate if they're taking cues from The Human Centipede.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom