• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Turns out Colbert pulled out of the Late Show, and Alex is going to be the replacement. I'm sure he'll devote the same amount of energy and effort Letterman did in his later years.

Turns out Colbert pulled out of the Late Show, and Alex is going to be the replacement. I'm sure he'll devote the same amount of energy and effort Letterman did in his later years.

Will Alex's studio band just be the Harmonix crew hitting random on Rockband?

I'd be down with that.

2706561-dandirt.jpg

Did he do some notable work that suggest that he might be a good fit for the mythbusters?

Maybe it was impromptu? Was he going to SDCC just for fun and ended up being wrangled to help with Tested's video production, or did he go there for the sole reason of helping Tested? I mean Tested and GB are pretty tight. And from what I understand SDCC is a madhouse.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh nah, I was just wondering if he appeared in any content that made him seem like a good fit for MB, seeing that's what people are talking about.

Oh nah, I was just wondering if he appeared in any content that made him seem like a good fit for MB, seeing that's what people are talking about.

I mean, his travelogue videos are some fine work, especially his Iceland one with Patrick. When they still did it, his E3 BTS stuff was cool too.

How it came to be published, or that a character could be extremely flawed?

Putting aside the very questionable path that this "book" came to be published, the fact of the matter is that they are two different characters. Go Set a Watchman is an early draft of TKAMB that in all likelihood Harper Lee never wanted to have seen the light of day. Austin's characterizing the situation as if this is some sort of revelation into the character of Atticus Finch when in fact this was never meant to be an aspect of the character of the final, published Atticus Finch.

Putting aside the very questionable path that this "book" came to be published, the fact of the matter is that they are two different characters. Go Set a Watchman is an early draft of TKAMB that in all likelihood Harper Lee never wanted to have seen the light of day. Austin's characterizing the situation as if this is some sort of revelation into the character of Atticus Finch when in fact this was never meant to be an aspect of the character of the final, published Atticus Finch.

I read it as him responding to the outcry that Finch would never act this way. Not so much defending the book or the way he is written, but the idea that you can do good things but still be a shit person.

Megasoum

Banned
According to a picture posted in here this morning or last night Drew's sister is at Comicon too so who knows.

Also people need to keep in minde that Tested has nothing to do with Mythbuster.

It's "Adam and Jamie's Tested" (99% Adam) but it for their own stuff, not linked at all with the company that makes Mythbuster.

Drew probably just wanted to hang out at SDCC and is doing some shooting for them as he's a cool guy? You guys are reading too much into it.

As for UPF I thought it was a fun time. But then I see UPF as a chat show that happens to have video games, I come for the banter.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
God watching Dan play Thief 1 or 2 on UPF while they all scoff and laugh at how "poorly" it's aged might be the most infuriating thing imaginable.

Scoopadoop brought it on upf once. Pretty sure some of their reactions were not far off that.

Well I mean

it did age poorly

Explain yourself Breezy

You certainly have to accept they they're not modern games, but neither the mechanics nor the controls are difficult to get to grips with at all. For the most part they're very straightforward. The sneaky movement/shadow and light mechanics/sound design all hold up extremely well. The sound design in particular works so well for those games. Sneaking around, advancing through an area while keeping your own footsteps quiet (over a variety of different surfaces), while listening for guards' footsteps or humming/whistling around the corner defines a lot of the atmosphere of that game for me.

Some super fucking cool level designs as well. Just as fun to play now as they were 15 years ago. Constantine's mansion in "The Sword", from Thief 1, is one of the best examples. It's also a good example of a level where you can easily get turned around if you're not aware of where you are/where you've been/where you need to go. In that sense, it's very unlike modern games because there's a lot less information pointing you in the right direction. I wouldn't call that a poorly aging problem though, more of a design choice which actually benefits the experience of both games. Thief 2's "Life of the Party" (a modified version of which was/is available as a demo for the game), is another example of great level design. A couple of forks in the path to the objective, several ways to tackle obstacles, and a lot of hidden stuff to uncover. "Eavesdropping" (also from Thief 2) is another of my favourites, mostly because of the possible entrance via rope arrow at the start. I love rope arrows. And moss arrows. *squish* *squish* *squish*

The gameplay is unforgiving compared to today's games in the sense that you'll die pretty quick if you engage in open combat. However, if you're not concerned with doing some perfect "no alerts" run, it's very easy to just run away and hide if you fuck up and get caught. Aside from one "instant fail" mission (there may be more, but I can only remember one), the game does not severely punish you for getting caught.

Aside from gameplay stuff, both games also have interesting, weird stories with similarly interesting and weird characters. Well written, funny dialogue and diaries/notes as well.

The graphics have aged poorly, I'll give you that. I don't know if the character models were ever considered good
. The environments are fine though. They're old, but they're well designed.

The preceding 5 paragraphs were completely justified.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I know I'm expecting a lot of Mario Maker here, but it doesn't have a native spectator mode does it?

Because I think I'm more interested in watching others play it than I am in playing it.

Volotaire

I know I'm expecting a lot of Mario Maker here, but it doesn't have a native spectator mode does it?

Because I think I'm more interested in watching others play it than I am in playing it.

I guess Twitch will have that sorted for you with that respect, but there is no native spectator mode to speak of (as of yet).

(I don't have a Wii U) can you stream from the Wii U natively like PS4/XBONE?

Nope also reggie said this regarding it

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/12/5802560/nintendos-fils-aime-wii-u-wont-get-twitch-gameplay-streaming-because

"We don't think streaming 30 minutes of gameplay by itself is a lot of fun,"

Your specific question of just purely streaming gameplay, what we've got to think through is, so what's fun about that? From a consumer standpoint, what's fun about it?

More Super Mario Maker being streamed here (via Nintendo UK) with new custom levels. I know the GB community loves it. http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk

Could really do without the commentary myself.

I think Jeff said the best part about Mario Maker is that it fucks with your perception of how things are supposed to work in Mario.

To be fair, I tend to agree with him. It's the commentary that can make a stream (and why most streamers run through their PCs in order to have that presence). This is like the one game that I could really enjoy just watching someone play.

I am 90% sure I remember Drew doing stuff for tested in the past, and Joey definitely helped them with E3 two or three years ago.

Which means Drew is probably leaving Giant Bomb to be the new director of Mythbusters. Everyone panic.

Myggen

I am 90% sure I remember Drew doing stuff for tested in the past, and Joey definitely helped them with E3 two or three years ago.

Which means Drew is probably leaving Giant Bomb to be the new director of Mythbusters. Everyone panic.

We have already established that it's time to panic!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The MGS4 Loading video was a weird thing to make as your last bit, but Drew had a good run. I wish him the best in his future endeavours.

Thanks! Does that giant snake good thing with the screen filling laser remain the hardest monster? That was like 20 hours ago and nothing has compared since, lol

Hm.

IMO, no. Actually I find him to be one of the easier monsters. Yeah he's big and scary and can fuck you up in a few hits, but his attacks are generally slow and he's very predictable based on what position on the map he's in. His subspecies (Shah Dalamadur) is a bitch though, because areas are only vulnerable when they glow red, otherwise you bounce off. Plus he attacks faster and summons meteors way more often. Do you know how to superman dive? That might be why you're having trouble.

When you face off against the giant tar dragon with explosive laserbeams and the Fatalis line, those are some real fuckers.

Just a comment and I'm sure I'm treading old ground here, but man...I've listened to and enjoyed every Beastcast so far, and I just really can't stand Alex. I try man, I really do. It's not that I dislike his opinions or what he says, but it's just his personality is so negative and he is the opposite of funny. Any time Vinny, or anyone else makes a funny comment, Alex just steps all over it and completely ruins it. Alex needs to realize that his voice doesn't always need to be heard. I mean, let Vinny host the show and talk when he directs something towards you, but you don't have to have an opinion on everything. It's really off putting.

I meant to post this after last weeks Beastcast because of the way it ended. Vinny had a hilarious line to end the episode and it would have been perfect except Alex had to come in after and make some comment that just ruined it. I love the rest of the cast, but I'm really tempted to stop listening because Alex just grates on me. I trust I'm not the only one. Again, no disrespect to Alex as a writer or whatever, but he does not have a good podcast personality and I really don't think the Beastcast can grow into anything anywhere near as big as the Bombcast if they keep him on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom