• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nope, I'm super not ready for games industry greats to start passing away :(

Little late for that
latest

justjim89

Iwata really was a game developer first and an executive second. Reading about all he did and the feats of programming magic that he's responsible for is really quite staggering.

Nintendo has always been such an unwavering symbol of the pure simple fun of video games, a stark contrast to all the cynicism and vitriol that occupy so much of the industry. And Iwata really personified that optimism and love of video games. He always seemed like such a class act and a nice guy.

R.I.P.

justjim89

Finding out about folks passing away is never easy anyway, but it especially sucks in this day and age. You hop on twitter or tumblr or whatever, and you first see their picture posted or their name on the screen and for half a second your brain goes, "Wonder what's going on with [x]?" then you actually process the words on the screen and the nature of the tributes and suddenly you lose 6 hours crying on the internet sharing a mutual hug with everyone.

Fuck cancer, man.

PBalfredo

Nope, I'm super not ready for games industry greats to start passing away :(

Same here. When Ralph Baer passed away I had the awful realization that we're getting to the age that some of the greats are going to start leaving us. Though I never would have thought we'd be seeing current industry figures pass away like this.

Cranzor

So sad. I think a UPF with a bunch of games Iwata worked on would be really neat.

He always seemed so passionate and just had a fun presence. I'll miss him in the Nintendo Directs and everything else. Hopefully his friends and family are holding up well.

So the other thread is moving super fast as it should so Ill ask here.

What games did Iwata have a direct hand in making? He is listed as producer on a lot of stuff but what did he really get down and dirty working on directly?

What games did Iwata have a direct hand in making? He is listed as producer on a lot of stuff but what did he really get down and dirty working on directly?

From Wikipedia:

His work at HAL:
After graduating from university, Iwata joined HAL Laboratory in a full-time capacity. He became the company's coordinator of software production in 1983. Some of the video games he worked on were Balloon Fight, EarthBound, and the Kirby games. Iwata was eventually promoted to president of HAL in 1993. Iwata assisted in the founding of Creatures Inc., which was established in 1995 by Tsunekazu Ishihara. Although not part of Nintendo at the time, Iwata assisted in the development of Pokémon Gold and Silver, which were released for the Game Boy Color in November 1999. Simultaneously, he aided in the programming of Pokémon Stadium for the Nintendo 64 by reading the original coding in Pokémon Red and Green and reworking it for the new game. Iwata also created a set of compression tools utilized in Gold and Silver.

His work at Nintendo:
In 2000, Iwata took a position at Nintendo as the head of its corporate planning division. When Hiroshi Yamauchi, the company's president since 1949, retired on May 31, 2002, Iwata succeeded as Nintendo's fourth president. He continued to help out at HAL as a consultant. Under his charge at Nintendo, he helped to led a revitalization of their handheld system, transitioning from the Game Boy to the Nintendo DS with a unique form factor that allowed for more novel games to be played on it. He also pushed on the development of the Wii platform which introduced the use of motion control-based video games. Both units proved highly successful to the company, with the release of the Wii in 2006 helping to nearly double the stock price of Nintendo. Iwata's former experience as a programmer, a rarity for technology CEOs, was said to help contribute towards his leadership of the company. Due to his success, Barron's included Iwata on their list of the 30 top CEOs worldwide from 2007 to 2009.

He commented on Nintendo games in his section of Nintendo's Wii website, Iwata Asks. Iwata also worked on The Legend of Zelda, Mario, and the Animal Crossing series of games. He also played a cameo in WarioWare: Smooth Moves, where he is referred to as "Shop Manager Iwata". In June 2013, he also took the role of Nintendo of America's CEO. As one of his first changes as CEO of Nintendo of America, Iwata decided that they wouldn't hold large press conferences at E3, and instead have several smaller events, each aimed at a certain demographic. In 2015, Iwata put part of Nintendo's focus on the growing mobile game market as traditional hardware console sales began to falter, and stated he would take half his salary to help compete against Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment.

Throughout his career at Nintendo, Iwata served as the executive producer for 117 video game titles.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

The most significant one to me is that he fit both johto and kanto region into one cartridge for Gold and Silver, by himself, when TPC could only do johto.

Also reprogrammed all of earthbound by himself.

Fireblend

Banned

I know he worked on a bunch of Kirby games, Balloon Fight, Earthbound, Pokemon Gold/Silver, and even lended a hand in SSBM.

Dude's a goddamn legend.

Edit: Oh, and Pokemon Stadium for the N64.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_nrerznawJZ1qe4qeqo1_540.jpg

Jeff's Tumblr said:
Bought 8 more of these disc holders today, filled them up almost immediately. This stack is almost as tall as I am. This is almost all my Xbox and PS2 stuff. Ran out of boxes.
You're my nightmare!

Whoa, Drew got to hang out with Chris Hadfield? That's freaking awesome. Rocket ships are like, airplanes, so Drew was probably giddy.

Good get by Drew. That Savage guy is cool too, I dunno who he is.

He's from a Discovery Channel show called Mythbusters. But, he (and the other co-host, Jamie) bought Tested.com, where Will Smith (not the actor) and Norm Chan are from. If you didn't know, Tested used to be a sibling site to Giant Bomb when they were both owned by Whiskey Media.

demidar

He's from a Discovery Channel show called Mythbusters. But, he (and the other co-host, Jamie) bought Tested.com, where Will Smith (not the actor) and Norm Chan are from. If you didn't know, Tested used to be a sibling site to Giant Bomb when they were both owned by Whiskey Media.

psst, he's being facetious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom