• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm patiently waiting for the Rocket League QL. It's going to make some GOTY lists this year, the fucking thing is addictive and enjoyable as all hell...when it works. Took me like 3-4 hours before i felt like i wasn't just chasing the ball like a dog running after cars and figured how to balance positioning, manage my power brakes, and master double hopping to get some goals going.

Also, you can put hats on cars.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think what frustrated Vinny, but that he failed to properly articulate, is that for a layperson eBay forces you to either feel like a dope and lose to an auto-bidder, or buy it now and pay a markup.

And yes, that is how it's supposed to work. It also feels kinda shitty when you lose, but not to the extent I think anything about the system needs to change.

Yeah. People just have to know going in that they're extremely unlikely to come out with any sort of great deal. Set a max bid you're comfortable with and forget about it. Better off going to car boot sales or whatever to get stuff for cheap.

I just hope the game gets some more buzz. It's free on PS+ this month but half of the PS+ threads is full of people shitting on releases like RL because THESE ARENT REEL GAMEZ OMFG SORNY IMMA CANCEL MAH PS+ since anything that wasn't put on a disc might as well be garbage water to some folks.

I haven't played TW3 yet because I've been waiting for the game to get patched into something solid but i have zero issues saying that Rocket League is the best thing that's come out this year.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm patiently waiting for the Rocket League QL. It's going to make some GOTY lists this year, the fucking thing is addictive and enjoyable as all hell...when it works. Took me like 3-4 hours before i felt like i wasn't just chasing the ball like a dog running after cars and figured how to balance positioning, manage my power brakes, and master double hopping to get some goals going.

Also, you can put hats on cars.
It's a competitive arena multiplayer thing. It would suprise me if there was much love for it at GB.

real talk: I don't get people crying for Iwata. I understand it, It's a bummer, that his passing was sudden and that he is absolutely a legend. My condolences to his friends and family because losing someone that close to you is never, ever easy. I'm a bit bummed out myself.

but when i read that a random forum poster cried because iwata died i just can't relate. I have zero attachment to someone who i've never met before like that. Just comes off as strange behavior to me but maybe i'm some sort of Borg or some shit ::shrugs::

real talk: I don't get people crying for Iwata. It's a bummer, that his passing was sudden and that he is absolutely a legend. My condolences to his friends and family because losing someone that close to you is never, ever easy.

but when i read that a random forum poster cried because iwata died i just can't relate. I have zero attachment to someone who i've never met before like that. Just comes off as strange behavior to me but maybe i'm some sort of Borg or some shit ::shrugs::

You're just a normal human being who doesn't have an attachment to a CEO he has never met.

Patryn

Yeah. People just have to know going in that they're extremely unlikely to come out with any sort of great deal. Set a max bid you're comfortable with and forget about it. Better off going to car boot sales or whatever to get stuff for cheap.

I'm going to assume car boot sale is the British version of garage sales, because in the US buying something out of a trunk or a van tends to be the easiest way to scam city.

tuxfool

Banned
noted.

well then. I guess there's always about 300 episodes of Gintama there for me while I wait for more Food Wars...

You probably don't need to watch all 300 episodes of Gintama. The best episodes or arcs are the short ones. I wonder if someone has made a list of the best ones.

I'm going to assume car boot sale is the British version of garage sales, because in the US buying something out of a trunk or a van tends to be the easiest way to scam city.
Generally stuff will be sold from the boot/trunk but the sales are generally set up so that it's more like a shitty market where people come with their junk, set up and try to sell the stuff they've brought.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

British and Irish, at least. Similar idea to a garage sale, in that you're selling your own stuff, but typically it's an organised event at some open space, with a lot of different sellers. Sellers set up a table by the boot of their car to create a stall. Might be a small entrance fee to the event. Not completely unlike a flea market, I guess.

Generally stuff will be sold from the boot/trunk but the sales are generally set up so that it's more like a shitty market where people come with their junk, set up and try to sell the stuff they've brought.

I haven't been to one since I was a child, but I definitely found a ton of good stuff among the trash. I built my entire megadrive collection (incl the megadrive) from car boot sales and other charity/school fairs.

E: apparently the term flea market has been adopted in Ireland. I knew it from american tv and books, but it was never actually used when i was younger.

real talk: I don't get people crying for Iwata. I understand it, It's a bummer, that his passing was sudden and that he is absolutely a legend. My condolences to his friends and family because losing someone that close to you is never, ever easy. I'm a bit bummed out myself.

Knowing someone personally is not the only way to be emotionally invested in someone. This isn't simply "business person who was head of popular company passes away." This is "person who created many great childhood memories for millions of people and still had a good ten+ years of work left passes away." For me, it's "person who created my first great video game story reveal passes away." Great childhood memories are deeply rooted emotionally. It's fine if you don't personally feel the same way, but it's very easy to understand.

Myggen

tumblr_mq47i23aAy1qa748ko1_1280.png

Megasoum

Banned

Yeah I feel pretty much the same way.

Doesn't help that I stopped caring about Nintendo around Ocarina of Time.

Myggen

I'll never "judge" people for how they react to a stranger's death after how I and a lot of other GB fans reacted to Ryan passing away. Who am I to judge how others react to the death of a person they've never met but feel a strong connection to?

Knowing someone personally is not the only way to be emotionally invested in someone. This isn't simply "business person who was head of popular company passes away." This is "person who created many great childhood memories for millions of people and still had a good ten+ years of work left passes away." For me, it's "person who created my first great video game story reveal passes away." Great childhood memories are deeply rooted emotionally. It's fine if you don't personally feel the same way, but it's very easy to understand.

I suppose it might be due to my lack of attachment to Iwata's works. Earthbound is probably the one thing he's had a hand in that I truly loved but not to the degree that Iwata's passing is leaving me wrecked. A lot of the projects he worked on seemed to resonate with people younger than I am so maybe it's that. I'm still bummed, he seemed like he was a genuine gamer and loved doing his job.

I feel I'll understand how some folks feel about Iwata's passing the day Miyamoto passes away. I grew up with his games, a lot of them are deeply tied to my childhood memories, stuff like my cousin hosting a sleepover when he got SMB3 for example.

So yeah, I can see it a bit more now. Or at least I can relate to it a bit more now that I've given it some more thought.

I'll never "judge" people for how they react to a stranger's death after how I and a lot of other GB fans reacted to Ryan passing away. Who am I to judge how others react to the death of a person they've never met but feel a strong connection to?

Not judging anyone. I just said I couldn't relate in regards to the Iwata passing. If people wanna cry then by all means but it wasn't hitting me like that. Ryan's passing didn't hit me like that, either, but it made more sense to me because it was someone who you would be hearing, watching, and laughing with for hours a week. and the circumstances surrounding his passing were incredibly saddening

The Iwata thing is a bit stranger to me because it reminds me of the Steve Jobs passing in that I have a hard time sympathizing with business figureheads regardless of how sincere and genuine they can be.

BearPawB

Banned
I still react very strongly to Ryan's passing.
Reading peoples tweets moves me to tears every time.

I don't have the same feeling toward Iwata, but damn, I will never judge anyone for being upset at the passing of another.

I never met Ryan, but he was part of my life for sure.

Myggen

I still react very strongly to Ryan's passing.
Reading peoples tweets moves me to tears every time.

I don't have the same feeling toward Iwata, but damn, I will never judge anyone for being upset at the passing of another.

I never met Ryan, but he was part of my life for sure.

Yup.

Moaradin

You probably don't need to watch all 300 episodes of Gintama. The best episodes or arcs are the short ones. I wonder if someone has made a list of the best ones.

Na you should watch all of Gintama. Some of the best episodes are just the single one-offs. And skipping episodes is bad because the jokes in Gintama heavily rely on character gags that are set up throughout the series.

hamchan

This.

tuxfool

Banned
Na you should watch all of Gintama. Some of the best episodes are just the single one-offs. And skipping episodes is bad because the jokes in Gintama heavily rely on character gags that are set up throughout the series.

Yah. By short arcs I sort of meant the one or two episode stories. Made a hash of that however.

I mean Rocket League is alright and all but I don't expect a whole bunch of noise about. It's fun game but nothing spectacular, you'll like it if you like those type of competitive games.

I somehow I missed the Shred QL. Huh.

Rocket League is in a close second place for my GOTY. There's so much nuance in the controls I'm still learning that I never would have known if I hadn't seen some amazing players online. It's pretty much everything I used to love about sports games without the things that made me bored of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom