• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next episode should be the Beasts introduction?

He'll meet Drebin and go over the whole war economy stuff, then maybe get to the beast introduction depending on how fast he get's there. And then that leads directly into meeting Rat Patrol 1 in the hotel, which will probably be a whole episode unto itself.

I wish the episodes were at least two hours long. The game itself is so long and full of cutscenes that some episodes will barely have any gameplay if they stop them at the hour mark.

Also, we need to remind Dan to tell Drew to not immediately shoot the Beauties when they are out of their armor, to listen to the audio flashbacks.

Solid stuff from Drew, controls are way better.

The controls are certainly better, but you still have to aim with those shit-ass analogs on the DS3.

I just want to reiterate that kojima's "war for the sake of war" makes no goddamn sense.

When you tie it into what the Boss was on about during MGS3 with enemies being enemies for no reason it kiiiind of makes sense, if you accept that the patriots AI manipulates information behind the scenes to make confilcts happen.

demidar

The iPod stuff reminds me how insane the attention to detail is in MGS4. Like, they didn't need to make the menu replicate iPod scrolling but they did because they are mad.

I feel like once Drew starts using the crouch walk liberally he will roll through the game like a boss (see what I did there ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and not have too much trouble gameplay/mechanics wise, but the Metal Gear-ness will still get him.

Also can't wait for a certain scene the last act that I'm pretty sure Dan was referring to as his least favorite gameplay section in all of Metal Gear.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I don't think that's a possibility with drew :p

I just want to reiterate that kojima's "war for the sake of war" makes no goddamn sense.

It does if you stop thinking of it literally and look at what the hell is the nightmare that is political/social justice centered discourse on platforms like Twitter and Tumblr. Games critics are too goddamn illiterate to engage with creators beyond the most surface of levels, and it's a damn shame.

Kojima is one of the most brilliant and ahead-of-our-times thinkers and numbskulls too simple-minded to think for themselves need everything spelled out for them literally, step by step. MGS2's script was written in 1998, released in 2001, and we're in 2015 with massive corporate controlled networks like Facebook running experiments on their users manipulating their emotions through information manipulation. Motherfucker called this shit from a mile away.

Not in the way big boss set it up,

Big Boss didn't set it up @_@ Big Boss wanted a place free from ideologies.
Major Zero twisted that and deified Big Boss and The Boss, created teh AI, and the AI simply sought to continue it's existence as well as the need for it, so constant war.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh I actually get the ai information manipulation part, I just don't understand what the hell big boss was trying to achieve with
building a nation of mercenaries.

Oh I actually get the ai information manipulation part, I just don't understand what the hell big boss was trying to achieve with

Just to have a home for soldiers like him. To fight the battles that they want to fight, not what a nation tells them to fight.

Antiwhippy

Just to have a home for soldiers like him. To fight the battles that they want to fight, not what a nation tells them to fight.

So how is it any different from a regular PMC?

Is it meant to be different?

Also always wondered if there was even a purpose to the war economy for the
AIs.

It goes back decades, it's a larger ideological meandering about the way nations train soldiers to be killers for king and country, then expect them to seamlessly reintegrate into society - everything from having skills they can't apply to civilian life, to PTSD, etc etc - and playing with the ideal of creating a specific place for soldiers, to well, be soldiers.

It's a fantastical bit of a thought experiment put into videogame form.

Antiwhippy

Like, I might be mistaking something here, but doesn't he also want a state of permanent warfare, just so soldiers will always have a place?

Which is mostly where my confusion of war for the sake of war comes from.

Like, I might be mistaking something here, but doesn't he also want a state of permanent warfare, just so soldiers will always have a place?

Which is mostly where my confusion of war for the sake of war comes from.

I guess it's the reasons.

AI wanted the War Economy to keep going with the PMC's warring, to increase their own power and to keep the people in turmoil so they could continue ruling under the guise of controlling the PMCs.

Big Bosses wanted Soldiers to always have a place, to be able to fight without being forced an ideology. Not so much for the ability to rule or to make himself a billionaire.

A more pure way of war, I suppose.

I wonder if there will be a episode of MGS4 that will be entirely them watching a cutscene.

Heck I could see it happening in multiple episodes with this damn game.

I'm so glad we're free from the stupid food and cure and manual camo bullshit from 3. You spend more time swapping menus in 3 than you do watching cutscenes in 4. Well, slightly exaggerating.

Anyway, great first episode. I guess Dan was talking about the stupid part where you follow that whistling fucker around Europe as his least favourite segment.

Volotaire

It might be worth Drew looking at the Briefing option in the next episode on the menu. he's got most of the controls, but it also shows all the CQC techniques, how to roll while lying down, getting on your bak etc.

I didn't know this! I just used the RPG on them straight away. Actually, my boss strategy was to use the RPG all the time given unlimited bullets (to a certain extent).

I did not know you can change the channel @_@

Me neither!

hamchan

I wonder if there will be a episode of MGS4 that will be entirely them watching a cutscene.

Heck I could see it happening in multiple episodes with this damn game.

Easily, especially if they stick to episodes around 1 hour.

"The longest cutscene sequence is also from MGS4 - 71 minutes of cutscenes are combined together in the game's climax to explain events after the game's story has concluded."

GWR Gamer's Edition 2011

J-Pop makes MGS4 better.

t1wJbLu.gif

e: I don't think they even make Regain in those little bottles anymore. I wonder how old those are.

Volotaire

Yes, I agree with extending the episodes to 1 hour and a half because there are some cutscenes that are 20 minutes long, cut to gameplay and back to a cutscene. Spoilers for the end of the game
Isn't the end a 1 hour long sequence IIRC.

I forgot about the opening FMV stuff.

And then that somehow reminded me of the very start of Act 4.

The big moments I remember from MGS4 are the end of act 4 and some of the scenes in act 5 but a lot of it is coming back now.

And that part Dan said was his least favourite part of the MGS series is totally act 3 right?

Volotaire

I forgot about the opening FMV stuff.

And then that somehow reminded me of the very start of Act 4.

The big moments I remember from MGS4 are the end of act 4 and some of the scenes in act 5 but a lot of it is coming back now.

And that part Dan said was his least favourite part of the MGS series is totally act 3 right?

It has to be.

Antiwhippy keep in mind that one of the central threats in this series comes from putting legs on an intercontinental ballistic missile launcher.

There's some disbelief to be suspended.

Volotaire

I'm surprised Drew has ignored the tranquilliser relative to MGS2 and parts of MGS3. I tended to use the tranq in the first 3 acts, but gunned and hid if I was alerted. Act 4 and 5 was mostly gun for me too.

Jothel

about to pull the trigger on an order for a PS4, the Witcher 3 and a TV! All in all about $850 I guess.... that's Japan prices for you

Act 3 is easily the worst segment in any MGS game. Total turd of a section and marks the end of any good gameplay sections for the rest of the game.

BB was tired of being used as a tool to serve a nation's agenda.

So he sets off to create a nation of tools to serve the highest bidders in their attempt to serve their nation's agenda.

BB just saw a chance to make big dollas and went for it

Yep! It's exactly what you would hope it would be.

Stellar, can't wait!

I'm catching up on Danswers, and I love the episode so far. I understand there is a Dan-ass Dan moment somewhere in there, but I doubt I'll be particularly perturbed. I love that Dan has money invested in Wendy's.

I'm losing my shit at this Rocket League quick-look because of how goddamn amateur they are and how much they haven't figured out the basic mechanics of getting speed by front flipping your car, using the rocket to get some good air, horizontal jumping, etc etc. You learn that shit from like an hour of play! C'mon now.

Basically: fuck that Quick Look, watch this 5 minute highlights video instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVmqssa5v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom